DK Metcalf

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Feb 27, 2019.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Enunwa...stays hurt. Was injured in college as well. Milliner injured in college...
    I understand taking a swing in the later rounds but #3 id have to really consider the history the team haschad with players with injury histories.

I think his teammate may be a safer pick...Aj Brown. But who really knows...i remember i really wanted Wr Kevin White out if W Virginia a few years ago...look what happened to him.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Would you take Harry with the #3 pick? A lower 1st round pick if they trade down? Not in the 1st round? Which round?

3. So Harry’s value is likely around picks 12-15.But in a trade down id be willing to reach on him starting at #7 in front of Buffalo mainly bc of the fit w Sam.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks.

How certain are you that he'll pan out - given that nothing is certain? If he does work out, I can see that this would be a great pick, but what gives me pause is this: from what I can tell there are more possibly good WRs in this draft than edge and OL, meaning that taking a WR with the first pick may prevent you from taking an edge and/or OL, whereas, taking one them first, you could probably upgrade the WR spot with a later pick. That said, I'm with you on taking an aggressive approach in adding offensive weapons for once.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Was he productive in college? He looks like a beast, but I have never even heard of him until this week, so not sure if it is just Combine hype or what.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Two injury shortened seasons in three years, and his career high was 646 yards on 39 receptions last year. His upside is a number 1 WR, but there are far safer WR's to pick from who can be productive in the NFL IMO.

#46 CotcheryFan, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  7. I think Harry has a high floor. Even if he cant separate he still can get deep,still is great on contested balls,great in the red zone & Can work the short areas as a ball carrier. So hes safe in the fact that a team can always find some kind of role for him.

His ceiling is that of a #1 WR of the rebounder variety w his physical traits & multiple productive seasons w little else around him at ASU.

There is great depth at WR in this class to your point.But none w the same skilllset as Harry & to a lesser extent Metcalf. They are the power forwards w elite rebounding ability,catching radius & ability over the top.

Kelvin Harmon,Hakeem Butler & Emmanuel Butler show SOME of these same traits but not as consistently..esp in the case of Harry.

This is a type of receiver thats gonna fit Sam extremely well.Sam throws a very accurate back shoulder, he could use someone to box defenders out on off schedule plays,he’ll break a few long ones on slants which Sam likes to use to get into rhthym..and like RA he can get behind a D in a hurry.

Hes got very strong hands & attacks the ball.The way Sam throws w touch,accuracy & anticipation, you want WRs w strong hands & catching radius that can snatch passes out of the air.

So to sum it up..hes safe,he has #1 WR upside,he offers a unique skillset that fits the young QB perfectly & has more than 1 year of production at the college level.There may not be a better fit as a weapon for Sam in this draft..at least not on the boundary.

#47 KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

So you feel that not being able to get separation won't hurt him that much? I've always felt it was the opposite. Being able to catch contested throws is nice, but he needs to get behind the defense once in a while IMO.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hakeem Butler reminds me of Plaxico Burgess, he would be a great weapon for Sam.

He is very fluid, wins the 50/50 balls, huge hands, has a decent stride, and excellent body control. If we trade down and get a 2nd, I would get him. Wonder if he's first round pick. Love those Iowa State skill position players. Well coached and productive.

10. He gets separation over the top bc his long speed is above average..where he lacks separation is on some intermediate/timing routes.

But he has too many skills that dont have anything to do w separation. His catching radius,strong hands,physicality & ability as a ball carrier make up for that shortcoming,IMO.

Its the same circumstance as Anquan Boldin & Alshon Jeffery except Harry actually had a good combine.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. Thats a great comp playing style wise. Like Plax,despite his size he tries to win w movement first.Hes faster/smoother than Burress but Plax was thicker built,much stronger & likely a better ball carrier coming out of THE Michigan state University.

Butler will likely go late day 1/very early day 2.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

These are the huge concerns. Iffy hands and often injured. He can beat press and get deep, but has not shown much or been able to at the NCAA level outside of that. He is the epitome of a boom or bust prospect. He definitly showed more in school that Stephen Hill, but he does have that Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess type vibe to me.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This.
    The formula has always been:
    A. Get your quarterback
    B. Protect your quarterback
    C. Knock down the other guy's quarterback
    We've only completed the first step.

CotcheryFan and cgrec like this.
  14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

DK no doubt shined in Combines and is legitimate a #1 WR in the draft. At number 3? Kind of high imo. Decent WRs with good size, hands, and speed can be found at 2-3 rounds. At the same time DL, another weakness of ours said to be deep. Still think the best option is to trade down and get a 2nd rd pick. They can then take a WR and edge with first two picks. But it too depends on what they do with FAs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

#3 is too high for the WR, or any WR this year. Yes there are some very good prospects but they likely don't start coming off the board until we get past #10.

Do think the jets need to increase overall team speed. So the eye candy 40 times that have been logged by those respective players should impress the jets.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

DK was seen by many as the #1 WR before the combine, but his injury this year was scary and kept him from putting a lot on tape this season. He has Josh Gordon type size and speed, but the injuries and his hands are question marks.

He could be the best player to come out of the draft or he could be a bust. His tool set is limited but still enticing.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a great way to explain him, @Harpua. I don't think the Jets are in a position to take a risk on him, but some team in a better position will and it will be a risk worth taking.

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Check out the LSU game. At least 4 critical drops

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

67 Career Receptions

No thanks, not at 3.

20. Gotta be honest...I'm going back & forth on Metcalf. The health is definitely the biggest concern & thats for the team medical staff to figure out.

Beyond that however...I have a hard time holding production against him when..

A. He had 2 other NFL caliber WR's playing alongside him in an offense that no one would mistake as free-wheeling or overly sophisticated.

B. He demonstrated tangible skills against top competition in Separation, winning over the top, contested balls & in the RZ.And that was against elite level competition in the SEC.

People will say he's a workout warrior..but I'm not sure this fits the bill. When watching skill players at the combine its more about how they look in terms of fluidity,explosion & agility than so the stop watch or measurables. The guy's explosion was undeniable & extremely formidable. I don't think that can simply be discarded. The 3 cone drill time is a concern..but than again he's not a short area player or someone a team should ask to run overly complicated routes which the 3 cone is designed to project..Let's not make him something he's not. he's more of an "x" boundary receiver than he is a flanker who is gonna work the middle of the field. This is a rebounder w. a rare combination of a lethal release, explosive straight line speed, body control & great size to boot.His ideal route tree would generally be straight line/1 cut boundary stuff.

Definitely not the same type of receiver but there are alot of similarities between he & when OBJ came out wherein there was concern of his production in a spotty passing offense sharing balls w. Landry despite demonstrating tangible skills,.and despite him blowing away the rest of an extremely deep WR class at the combine we all wanted to think better of it.Sometimes the combine is actually proven to be accurate.

I'm not sure I'd take him at 3..but i wouldn't be surprised if we look back in 5 years & wish we did.

Harpua likes this.