Discipline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Since1969, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

One of the recurring themes on multiple threads is the need for Bowles to instill some discipline and stop the dumb-ass penalties, mindless fumbles etc. Precisely, how should he do this?

Brian Costello has a column today claiming that Bowles' big mistake is in refusing to take away playing time as punishment for dumb-shit mistakes. Frankly, I think it's too late in the game for Bowles to be able to do this:

1. Bowles is (or should be) on the hot seat. What coach whose job is (or should be) hanging by a thread is going to bench a more talented player and put in a less talented player to make a point about discipline?

2. The players read the papers. They know Bowles is (or should be) on the hot seat. It wouldn't surprise me if they've tuned him out and just waiting for his replacement to arrive.

3. To install discipline, a coach has to be firm from the beginning and be willing to take away playing time. A new coach arriving with a multi-year contract gets a honeymoon period. They players know he'll be around for a while so they had better do what he says. I don't think a coach who has been lax from the beginning can start being a disciplinarian only when he appears to be on his way out.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/21/the-quiet-reason-why-todd-bowles-jets-are-always-a-mess/

2. Since1969

Duplicate

#2 Since1969, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2018
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

That's OK, someone will fix it. The worst was Isaiah Crowell. What kind of IDIOT do you have to be. Bowles should've benched him for that. Act like a 10 year old, get treated like one. Nope. It was detrimental to the team, especially on top of the other idiot penalties that had nothing to do with being a SHOWBOATING idiot. I'm still mad about it all around. I read an article this a.m. where Crowell said didn't think about it beforehand or plan it or anything, it's because he plays with passion! Passion for being a moron, I guess. All that being said, the reffing is for crap, and the league is all over the place. Bring back EZ celebrations! So you do a dance, it's fine, and then if you a dance someone doesn't like, it isn't fine. Everything is for crap in general. Unsportsmanlike for something minor, no flags for something major. I can't recall who it was offhand right now because I blocked it out to protect my mind, but someone on the Jets vs. the Miami pukes got flagged last week for taunting just because he jawed a little. Lest we forget that Odell Beckham, Jr. didn't get ejected for being a topshelf a-hole with Josh Norman. And Beckham tore his helmet off, too. I'm not saying Norman is an angel, but that was absolutely pathetic. F this officiating and inconsistent garbage.

dogg, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Is it me...or is Todd Bowles looking more & more like E.T. after every loss?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jets81, Footballgod214 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I think part of the reason for the penalties is lack of conditioning.

The team is out of shape get tired too early in games that leads to penalties.

6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

its simple when there are no repercussions nothing will deter them from doing it and it starts with the HC

game after game time after time we blow time outs that said how often do teams score against us in the final 2 minutes and we can't seem to figure out how to get it done ourselves ... when was the last time we had a comeback win on a 2 minute drive !?!

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yep.

Excessive wiping of one's ass with a football does tend to wear a guy out.

They need to choreograph an Ass Wiping Touchdown Team Dance routine.

Spread the load to a few different players.

Should boast team morale as well...

NYJetsO12 and ChrebetJet80 like this.
  8. Since1969

Either that, or for the first time, he really understands what Thoreau meant when he wrote that "the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

Or maybe he's practicing his anguished death stare for the Monday after the season ends when his secretary tells him Chris Johnson wants to see him ASAP.

#8 Since1969, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah expecting Bowles to change is not gonna happen. If he hasn't replaced Rodgers by now that alone should tell you. Discipline is nonexistent on the Jets. They commit the same mistakes each and every year. Does anyone watch any film on that team? His seat should be beyond hot by now. Crowell and Johnson should be fined as soon as they boarded the plane back to New Jersey.

dogg, NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Crowell should be fined heavily by the team and if they don't want to release him which they could easily do then they should either make him dress and just bench him or make him in active either one is fine with me as it at least sends a message to the team that this is unacceptable. ,,,,,,but I doubt anything happens .

11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles phone home

The number you have reached is disconnected

We need an offensive coach

It’s ALL about developing Darnold

We must not fuck this up

Go away ET Todd

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you don't take playing time away from players when they fuck up they'll continue to fuck up. When Billy Martin sat Reggie, Reggie got furious, but he also pulled his head out of his ass and got more focused. The fact that Bowles doesn't use this basic tool speaks volumes, and it speaks loudly in the performance of the team.

It's time to take Bowles' playing time away.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I wasn't a Yankee fan but I loved Billy Martin. He was fearless and didn't take any mess off of anyone. He also went after Reggie in dug out. I don't know if they were trying to save Reggie from Martin or Martin from Reggie because Martin was ready to scrap. Back to the lack of discipline and holding players responsible. Another baseball reference this time New York Mets. Cleon Jones was dogging it not hustling. Gil Hodges called timeout and went out to left field and removed Cleon on the spot. Walked him back to the dug out in front of the whole stadium.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Our DB coach if you didnt notice has been the one spazzing out on the horrible coverage penalties that have been the true death of this defense.

Bowles has seems to be treating discipline in a management style. You yell at your people and ill yell at you away from the eyes view.

If people want to be mad at bowles for the excessive defensive penalties then be mad that he refuses to accept our slow ass corners cant match speed with modern day wr's 1v1 without snatching grabbing and manhandling them. If he doesnt adjust then get use to it. We are going to have to holding penalties on most 3rd down critical plays. I love seeing jamal Adam in the box but this single high cover 0 cover 1 just like last year will be the death of us period.

#15 JdotGriff, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  16. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

I would love for Bowles to bench these guys that consistently grab face masks, taunt, generate false starts. The thing is, Mac has provided literally no depth on this team. If Bowles benches anybody, their backup is a 4th or 5th string on any other team. Both these guys need to go.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Sounds good...where's the results? If he was getting result with this approach, fine, but he's not, and hasn't for 3+ years. If he can't understand that and change his approach, then we need to change coaches.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. JdotGriff

Im not defending it im pointing it out. lol Ill say it again untill he adjusts this bullshit single high defense 80% of the game our corners and linebackers will be grabbing tugging and manhandeling wr's (who are much faster then them) all god damn game.

19. ColoradoContrails

Sorry, not having a good backup is no reason to not bench someone. Sure, you'll suffer in talent drop off while the backup is in, but it's a price you have to pay to get the long term result. When guys know they won't lose playing time they're not going to take you seriously.

fggrimes and boozer32 like this.
  20. JdotGriff

Aside from the false starts none of what you said has been consistent from anyone and well the false starts will happen because a vast majority of our Oline and TE's are dog shit.