DID I MENTION THAT I LOVE OUR 2017 DRAFT?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 24, 2017.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Would that mean we would get a conditional if somebody signed him if he didn't sign a contract offered by the Jets at 30yo :)

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

By basically 30 do you mean 27?
    He is 24 this season, he'll be 27 his 4th season, the last year of his rookie contract.

jonnyd likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Those are horrible examples. You make it sound like they didn't even finish their rookie contracts or were traded as soon as their rookie contracts were up.

Aaron Glenn played for the Jets for 8 seasons, until he was 28 or 29. He had been pretty good, but made his share of bonehead plays like the fake spike. He was dead to me after that bonehead play and I was glad he left. That's getting pretty old for a CB. I don't think anyone could have foreseen that he would have been able to play for 7 more years after he left the Jets.

Keyshawn was not a team player, was all mouth, an asshole, slow as molasses, and way overrated. I was glad to see his ass shipped out of here. Four years was enough (too much, really. I never wanted him in the first place)

John Abraham was a soft player and a limited player. Every time he had a boo-boo he sat out. Again, I shed no tears when he was traded. Six years was enough of him.

Revis was a greedy SOB, and like the rest deserved to be shipped out. He also played 6 seasons here before being traded. It's not like we didn't get his best years.

Richardson is a dumbass. He's talented, but not the type of player to build a team around, and the Jets already have enough money invested in the DL in Williams and Mo.

If you want to complain about the Jets letting good players go, John Riggins and Jonathan Vilma is a better place to start.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't know what era of the Jets you are accustomed to, but obviously you haven't been watching the Jets of 2016.

Pryor is a dumbass, and is a goner. Jets had to pick two safeties. [And they god pretty good prospects at it.]

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We are revisiting the Draft ...Ok it was B/B-

There are going to be some great players and ones not so ..50/50 chance in my opinion

Rebuilding year; Rebuilding Draft...But no help for the OL??

That said... dont forget

SUCK FOR SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

I don't remember who it was but Glenn was used as Bait to get the Texans to take a bad contract off with our hands and give the Jets needed cap relief so that isn't nothing.
    Key got is two first round picks. You seriously have a problem with that?
    JA was alway injured and be dogged it in a playoff game
    Revis wanted to own the team or hold out. He needed to be let go

#46 Glenn G, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  7. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Sorry, the Jets didn't have to pick two S's.
    Here are the positions we need help besides S.
    CB
    QB
    OLB
    G
    OT
    TE
    RB and WR are also needs but there is something to work with there
    Maybe C. Not sure how the new guy is.
    The only position we are set at is DL.

With all this need, how is it the Jets had to take 2 S's

boozer32 likes this.
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Imagine yourself being a paratrooper back in WWII.

Your job is to be [surrounded.]

Would it make a difference if you shot two enemies in the [same direction]? Or are you saying you had to kill the one in front, then kill the one in the back?

Same situation here.

Jets talent roster as of right now is literally [fucked] all over. And Pryor is a dumbass. [If you are slow to the news: he's not even at the OTA as we speak right now. What a dumb fuck.] Would it make a difference to pick one S this year, and then another next year? If you are saying Pryor was NOT a hole, then I see no more reason to talk.

Jetphan73 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And j.a got us mangold and revis got us Sheldon. We have done well when unloading our good players most of the time
    As far as Glenn goes, it was take Otis smith and you can have Glenn to. Jaguars worked a similar deal to get out from Tony boselli's contract.

10. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

This is not about Pryor, this is not about we needed two S because they sucked there, this is about spending two draft picks that will minimally improve the secondary. We would have improved faster with better results by taking two cb's or a s and a cb.
    Having two really good S and 2 below average cb equals a crap secondary.
    On a side note, Pryor isn't a dumb fuck for not attending OTA's. The Jets are trying to trade him and most likely told him to stay home so he doesn't injure himself.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I wasn't a fan of the Jets double safety picks. I mean we have a coach who is a former safety and the safety play was awful last year. So was it the players who regressed or the coach? Expecting two rookie safeties to be impact players is a lot. I wish in one of those rounds the Jets went in a different direction.

12. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

and lastly on revis....

dude was one of the best players in the game and we wanted to be cheap and not pay him....not only that....we dump this guy because we didn't want to pay a cb top money....and what did we do???? we drafted a cb with a top 10 draft pick to replace him.....so, just for argument, if milliner became a top cb would we have dumped him because of salary cost reasons???....again, major major problem.....

our team has proven over and over again that we don't know what we're doing.....let's stop defending our stupid mistakes....especially when we are expected to be one of the worst teams in the league.....AGAIN.

#52 24McNeil, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

No but I wish you did.

14. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

as for riggins...he was a bit ahead of my time....watching since '85....

and as for vilma.....he wasn't so much a money issue as he didn't fit the what the team was looking for in a middle lb.....not that i condone that move, and didn't at the time....just not my argument for the moment....

i think another player you could have used against me could have been farrior.....but at this point....you should get my jist....

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

As long as the team improves, it doesn't matter [how] it gets done. If they saw merit in this, I'm willing to roll the dice with them.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was Marcus Coleman. I remember being more upset about losing him than about losing Glenn.

Otis Smith got old and went to the Patriots a year or two earlier.

17. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

This draft class is the start of something BIG. I love this draft class.

18. jago

jago Active Member

1981 niners drafted ronnie lott, eric wright and carlton williamson and won the super bowl . of course they did have joe montana lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You are forgetting the architect that made it happen.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. Ahh yes...therein lies the rub...EVERYTHING was a need. When you have a devoid roster w. little to no building blocks you can't take a Micro approach to selecting players. It becomes macro in nature in which case you are looking for building blocks..

You can't plug holes in a gully.

And really? 2 safeties don't help a secondary?? C'mon man. You can't tell me a dependable back end wouldn't have made a significant difference w. last year's defense.

Many football minds believe the best way to improve a secondary is by bringing in a safety..much less 2.

In fact...I would argue that given a choice between 2 corners & 2 safeties I'm taking the safeties all day every day. 2 shut down corners mean nothing if there is no top to the D. Even if your corners stink if you have 2 safeties you can still be creative within your scheme & at the very least prevent the big play.Additionally, blue chip safety prospects are much more of a rarity than are corners & additionally are usually much less boom/bust in nature.

Bowles didn't need to justify the selections b.c the devoid roster & BPA approach sort of spoke for itself. But To his credit he did a fantastic job of explaining it. Modern offenses are keying their pre snap reads based off the way the safeties line-up. You need 2 guys who are interchangeable & able to play both high/low. Adams & Maye both can do that,have all pro upside & bring the intangible/leadership qualities that frankly is even more of an acute need than any position you listed w. the exception of QB.

#60 KurtTheJetsFan, May 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2017