DID I MENTION THAT I LOVE OUR 2017 DRAFT?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 24, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Maye was a luxury? We needed to completely redo our defensive backfield and that included the other safety position. It was a need way more than it was a luxury.

I also wanted a corner in the 2nd if we weren't going to go Dalvin Cook, but it seems like the staff has a lot of faith in Burris. He's been spoken very highly of all offseason by the writers and Rodgers said Monday he wishes Burris got more time last year. You could argue we were thinner at S even after selecting Adams than we were at CB.

2. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

I don't think we will be better starting Adams and Maye over Adams and Pryor or Adams and Ghilchrist. We are probably worse in the short term ans maybe better, the same or worse long term.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Gilchrist was never going to be an option. He was coming off major surgery and was entering the last year of his contract. He wasn't part of the future, so you can't even consider Maye/Gilchrist an option past this one year, if he could even get back on the field.

I think we all know who Pryor is... Maye might have some growing pains but again, Pryor was clearly not part of the future so you can't even bring up a potential Adams/Pryor combo.

Edit: if your point was we should have gone CB in the 2nd and worried about S next year when Pryor and Gilchrist were gone, I can understand that but it's just as much of a crapshoot. We don't know what Maye is, just like we don't know whatever S we'd draft next year would be, just like we don't know whatever CB we would have drafted this year would be.

#23 BroadwayAaron, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

You never know how the drafted players will turn out. Look at Enunwa. I don't remember if he was a late round draft pick or UDFA, but I'm sure there were very few people outside of his family and friends who were excited about his prospects. The guy turned out to be a beast of a player.

5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I like their new strategy and commitment to a full rebuild, but I would argue that we loved the 2016 Jets more than the 2017 team based on our expectations preseason. In 2016, we thought we had a chance at the playoffs and this year very few are crazy enough to believe we will do better than 8 games. My point is you don't know what's going to happen in May.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Not restricted to just new posters :rolleyes:

FJF likes this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd love to be wrong on the Maye pick, but I just didnt love it.

I thought there were multiple other positions they could have gone. But if Maye is good, none of this will matter.

8. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

You got my point in the edit. We arr probably no worse.
    My real point is, everyone was saying how loaded this draft was a CB. I think the second round would have made a great selection for that all things considered.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's true that there is no proof that either Adams or Maye will be successful in the NFL. It's also true that there is no proof that any draft pick will be successful in the NFL.

It's also true that it's unorthodox to take players at the same position back to back in the draft. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, however. Good safeties are somewhat rare. Perhaps Mac looked at other positions/players available at that point of the draft and thought Maye was a better player or better value. He may have thought about next year's draft class and didn't think the Jets would be able to get a good safety next year, since they may (probably?) will need to try to get a QB and an LT at a minimum, and quite possibly an edge rusher too. Pryor truly seems to have attitude issues and his play is severely flawed/limited. They may be thinking of moving on from him, and none of the other Jets' safeties are starting material.

Does it really matter in what order holes are fixed/addressed? I'll answer my own question. If the Jets were trying to make the playoffs this year or thought they had a shot at the SB, then yes, definitely it would make a difference, and taking two safeties would not have been wise. But since the Jets are in a rebuilding phase that's probably going to take 2-3 years, imo, it really doesn't matter which holes are addressed in what order.

If Mac had taken a CB instead of a S, it might have made more of a difference this year, but in the long run, as long as he addresses the CB position, will it really matter which position he addressed first? I hear your disappointment, frustration, and questioning. I thought and felt the same way, and still do to some extent. From my limited knowledge of the prospects, I probably would have taken either Adam Shaheen, TE, Tyus Bowser, OLB, or would have rolled the dice on Sidney Jones (CB) making a full recovery and being a stud next year and going forward. Others might have gone with Quincy Wilson or Teez Tabor at CB. Others would have taken Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon. Still others might have taken Gerald Everett or Ryan Anderson. Ultimately, what matters most is what player will fit the Jets' scheme the best and be the best player. I don't think that Mixon or Cook were even on the Jets' draft board due to character concerns. IMO Everett wasn't a good option because he can't block and there were other options at TE that could be had later. Anderson is more like Jenkins...an edge setter, but probably not the best pass rusher. Maybe the Jets didn't like Tabor or Wilson, think they were the best fit for the Jets' scheme, or had character concerns. Maybe they really liked one or both, but liked Maye a lot more. Time will tell if it was a stupid thing to do, or if it was a wise choice.

#29 NCJetsfan, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I had spent a bit of time scouting the other available Safeties before the draft, because I was sure the Jets would screw up and not pick Adams. Assuming the Jets would pick an offensive something or other with their top pick, Maye was my top choice for the Jets in round 2. This draft had a ton of quality safeties compared to most years, and I would argue that 1) Maye would have been a mid-to-late 1st rounder in 9/10 drafts and 2) if any team were looking to draft two safeties high, this was the draft to do it in (best since 2010 at least, probably best since 1981, and possibly best ever.)

Jetphan73, Dsmiles13 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Dont get me wrong, if the Jets had gone elsewhere in round 1, I would have no issue with Maye.

I just had an issue with double dipping at safety, when they could have gone CB/OLB.

Like I said though, if Maye is a player, than none of my complaints matter, lol.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Is anyone else concerned that by the time Maye is off his rookie deal he will basically be 30.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Saying that you "love the draft" is like looking at the menu at a restaurant and judging the meal.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Crap! I had no idea that Maye is already 24. That changes my thoughts on his selection somewhat.

15. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Had to log in to say bravo on that one hahaha.. I actually laughed out loud.

16. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Did I forget to say that I absolutely LOVE this 2017 Jets draft class?

17. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I feel there should be a 3 month period from joining until you can post new threads on this site.

Lets make that happen.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

used to be a post count. no threads till you had 75 posts, i miss those days

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

where did those fellas go? it appears that ydkf is not found in google.

20. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

i have some problems with this draft but happy about certain other things, namely the fact we didn't draft a qb....

...one of my main problems, i believe, was the taking of safeties with our 1 and 2 picks....not because we took safeties....but because I know our NYJ and if, god willing, both players are as good as billed.....and deserve a second contract that pays big money....our NYJ will then decide we can't allocate that kind of investment at that positioning group....and we will do what we always do....draft a good player, develop said player, and then dump this player for an unknown draft pick....meaning we get no where like we're running in circles.

we've seen it so many times before and it drives me crazy....

some examples.
    a. glenn
    keyshown
    john abraham
    revis
    and soon to be sheldon rich.

boozer32 likes this.