Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The only way I would not be mad if he was selected by the jets, is if the jets make him their starter from day one. If I hear that they are going to redshirt him and bring 4 QBs into camp, I will hope that they fire Mac for screwing up the "Process".

The jets NEED starters, not more projects.

#61 Red Menace, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    nicg4360, TonyFtLaud and sackexchange like this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If the FO decide that Watson is the Guy , they will have to move up to #1 to get him as it stands now. With San Fran and Chicago drafting at 2 and 3 both likely to reach for a QB. There is alot that can and will change before the draft but the cost right now would not be 2s but this year's 1,2 and 3 and at least next years 2 and 3. Maybe they package some players like Marshall or Sheldon in the deal but it remains to be seen if the Browns would want either. They are loaded with draft picks this year, 2 first round picks, 1 and 12, 2 second round picks 33 and 51, 1 3rd rounder ( they have a compensatory 3 Rd going to New England). And 4 picks in round 4. They can afford to trade the first pick ,still load up on talent , and have another load of picks next year. I don't think the would want either of them honestly.

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. Garrison Nauman

Garrison Nauman Active Member

I don't care what anyone says we have to do whatever it takes to get him. He's got the "it" factor

playtowinthegame and westiedog1 like this.
  4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

building from the inside out involves a QB first and foremost, and I'm not convinced that guy is on our roster yet.

to your point, we desperately need a LT too, but that unsexy Oline pick just isn't there this year (unless maybe McGlinchey declares for draft).
    Robinson is way too risky, as he projects to be a RT imo, and he's been busted with a bag full of weed and a stolen hand gun already. we need to get away from players like that.

I wouldn't trade into the top 3 for Watson, but I'd absolutely consider him after that..

5. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

FA and potential trades will determine how far he goes. There are teams in front but they may value the defense available more and there is also trubisky. There is also Fournette as a couple of those teams are in need of running back.

6. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Yea, well they all are POTENTIAL franchise QBs until they're not. This guy is good, has some great attributes but hes not even close to the level you guys are thinking he is (Most of you have watched him over a few games, Ive been watching him since he started his first game) This is a shit QB class, and probly have better luck at finding a franchise QB in the later rounds.

#66 FazeOne17, Jan 10, 2017
  7. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

What good is a stud QB if he has 1 second to throw the ball. How many top 6 QBs have really done anything, besides Eli and Payton?

We need to follow the Dallas blueprint. Build the line. How much better were the Jets when we actually had a good O-line? Now we lose Mangold,, dont have a left tackle as Clady is worthless, and have high hopes for guards. Thats not good enough.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Who really is? No rookie QB is ever a slam dunk. It's a risk for sure, but if the Jets had the package to pry him away from Cleveland I think they have to do it. That said, I wouldn't do it for Trubinsky or any of the others available at this point. I think if Jets don't get the #1 pick from the Browns, the Browns - or whoever they trade the pick to - will take Watson, and then I think Trubinsky might be there at #6 and I would take him there.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

If Watson is there at 6, he's worth drafting, because of his upside. If not, grab Mike Williams & cut both Marshall & Decker. Williams, Enunwa & the rest of the kiddie corps make up a good WR group.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

11. BacktoQueens

I've already agreed we need a LT, and Oline help in general, but which one you taking there that is a better option than Watson?
    there isn't one (unless McGlinchey comes out), so we better grab a LT in FA or via trade, as well as getting Oline in maybe 2nd or 3rd rounds.

If we don't take a QB, it is more likely going to be a DB or LB as that is where the talent is..

in terms of top 6 QB's drafted, you don't have to look much further than this years MVP, and last years MVP.

FJF and Jets_Grinch like this.
  12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

When Peyton and Eli came into the league, 1 sec. is about as much time as they had to throw. Their franchises eventually surrounded them with good talent. That's the blueprint that works. The Dallas "blueprint" isn't what you think. They had a top QB (Romo) and surrounded him with good talent. Prescott is just a stroke of luck and not part of a plan they had.

The Jets may have been better before but they were not championship and that's because they didn't have the QB.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

"Whoever picks me up is gonna get a champion, not just on the field, but off the field, and just a champion at heart who'll make people around him better," Watson told ESPN's Scott Van Pelt after Monday night's win.

I'm just a little worried about his self confidence.

14. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

I would rather go Fournett, Cam Robinson or Hooker / Adams at safety then waste a pick on QB.

Cam is great....for fantasy football. Let me know when he wins something besides an individual accolade. Nice follow up season for an MVP too

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would not be shocked to see Watson there when the Jets pick in round 2 and even 3. People are over hyping his value. It is a long way to draft day. Yesterday may have stopped his slide and increased his value but he has plenty of time to drop as teams expose his flaws.

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

If the Jets want him, and he is there at 6, I am fine with taking him. Kid is a warrior. But its a real question mark how his excellent play against Alabama would translate at the pro level. And remember, only 2 of 26 first round QB's in the last decade have actually made it to the Super Bowl. So the odds are he is a bust and you miss the opportunity to grab another player of need who may be less a boom/bust pick.

For one, Watson is pretty inaccurate and his decision making is suspect 38 TD's and 17 INT's. Thats pretty bad at the college level. His receivers and TE made some incredible catches last night, as they have been doing all year. He will need to get alot more accurate at the pro level and have excellent weapons around him to be successful.

Second, I would be really concerned that he gets thrown out there immediately and doesn't have time to learn a pro system. I could see a team like Cleveland or the Jets make him a day 1 starter, and he will scramble outside the pocket one too many times and get destroyed and ruined just like RG3. His best bet would be to join a team that has some weapons, and he is given a year to learn a pro style offense and work on his accuracy. Then in year 2, you may have something.

Lastly, given Mac has selected Petty and Hack, the latter being a traditional pocket passer and the former a guy that it was thought would be molded into one, I wonder about whether Mac thinks a kid like Watson would fit in. I hope Mac would be adaptable, but you dont know. And do we really think he will select a guy and wait 2-3 years for him to be ready? Will Mac still have a job by then?

#76 PulseJet, Jan 10, 2017
  17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Did you ever consider that maybe what you consider inaccuracy were purposely thrown that way so that only his receiver could make a play on the ball? Yeah, Williams made some great catches, but he's 6'3" and the ball was thrown to where only he could catch it. Same for some of the low throws to #13 (forgot his name, but reminded me of Wes Welker.) When looked at from that POV, I thought he was incredibly accurate and at the crucial time of the game.

FJF likes this.
  18. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

No, I didnt consider it.

19. BacktoQueens

I'm not a huge fan of Newton, but he did win his division, the NFC, and the MVP as best football player last year.
    that's just a little bit better than what we've currently got.
    Matt Ryan will get the MVP honors this year. There are plenty of other examples of top selected QB picks doing well also.

Pretending like QB's picked top 6 are waste picks is a joke of an argument.
    If you don't like Watson in particular, than just talk about the player.

btw Cam Robinson would be a horrible choice at 6, and I'm not sold Fourette brings enough value for the pick.
    I like Hooker and Adams, but we'd still be a horrible team with no QB going nowhere, and would be right back having this same discussion next year. At some point you have to take a QB.

Freddy Mondo, westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  20. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

I dont care who wins MVP. I care who wins the Superbowl. I think the exact opposite of you, that if we dont improve the core of this team, and draft yet another QB in the top 3 rounds, we will be right back having this same discussion next year, and the year after that.