Defend Maccagnan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Dec 25, 2016.

1. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I agree that Fitz played terrible this year, and Mac way overpaid for him. I also don't think that Mac would have survived this season if the Jets would have only won 5 games after refusing to sign the QB that broke some single season records for them the prior season. I think the media scrutiny would have caused Woody to fire him.

NCJetsfan, jets_fan and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Pats win 75% of their games without Br*dy, and they'd still be winning divisions without him, so obviously they have more going on then just QB.

But we have Bowles, not Belichick, so yeah Mac really needs to stabilize the QB position.
    If he sits back on the Petty and Hack picks, and they don't work out, that would prob be the end of him.

3. BacktoQueens

100% correct.
    If he went into this season with just Geno to save a mil or two, the torches would rightfully be full blown by now.

blackssmagic and jetfan59 like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

While the popular opinion on this site was that Mac made the right call in resigning Mo Wilkerson at the expense of letting Damon Harrison walk, it seems to have been the wrong choice. Mo's nagging injuries (and possibly his poor attitude) led him to play poorly this year while Harrison was named first team all-pro by AP this week.

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I would argue it was Fitz over Snacks which hurts

6. King Koopa

It would have saved 12 million not a mil or two...atleast be fair

And I don't think anything could have been worse than Fitz with his 6 int game mixed in with other garbage performances

There were plenty of Jet fans that called this exact scenario so let's not act like Fitz playing like shit against good teams and regressing back to the mean came out of nowhere...it was a bad move, a terrible one actually

The same people that would have ran him out of town are the same people that wanted Fitz back...wrong and wrong

blackssmagic and James Hasty like this.
  7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It was, if he signed him for what he originally offerred nobody would have said anything but to allow that asshole to hold the team hostage right up to camp and then cave to him is inexcusable.

King Koopa and James Hasty like this.
  8. James Hasty

Fitz is a one year stop gap. Mo is JJ Watt money for several years. Even without Fitz we probably could not have kept both.

In several threads I suggested that Snacks play could have made Mo and Sheldon looked better than they were. Most posters laughed at me and were so sure that Snacks was JAG.

9. King Koopa

I think without Fitz it would have made it a lot easier but regardless I can't get on Macc for resigning Mo over Snacks....if you asked 100 NFL people who the more valuable player was 99 would probably say Mo at the time

Year one is a loss but Mo should have a bounce back season I'm guessing

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Mike Mac was on Boomer n Carton,,,,I recorded it and just watched / listened,,,,,I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling at all ! He used the word "process " at least 10 times I had flashbacks to Mike T ! They asked good questions and in my op Mac could only say soooo much but If these guy really has equal power to Bowels and the coach does not answer to him then they are both done next year! Bowels makes all player decisions which is fine when your season is still meaningful but when the team is dead in the water its time to look at the kids and that was all on Bowels,,,,I hate the coach and am worried the GM does not have the goods!

11. BacktoQueens

Snacks got paid almost 50M, with half of it guaranteed. Fitz got 12M for 1 year.
    it wasn't 'Fitz over Snacks'. There is only so much you can invest on the Dline, and they looked at Mo as a more versatile player. that was the decision there.

by a mil or two, I'm referencing how far apart they were on the contract impasse, which wasn't enough to risk a season.
    there was plenty of risk on going with Fitz based on his uneven track record, but it was a calculated risk on a short term deal.

There was NO scenario in which doing nothing, and heading into the season with Geno was going to happen.
    that would be career suicide for any GM.
    a better criticism was not pursuing a better vet option than Fitz, which is fair. it didn't work out, and Mac deserves a little heat for not providing a better QB option.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. It's very much likely that even with the Snacks, the DL would have sucked. [Pepper Johnson, you suck.]

So if Macc got Snacks in favor of Fitz - and still sucked, he would have started harping [Macc gotta go. Fitz was the best option, but instead he spent on yet another DL, and went with Geno. He's gotta go.]

Really.

2. He keeps saying meaningless bullshit like [Solid moves] - without substantiating what they really are. I have specifically asked him about what Macc missed - for which he evaded answering, saying [There are million different ways to do it.] Yeah. RIGHT. NAME ONE. God damn it.

At that point I stopped responding. I have no interest in speaking to a broken record after all.

#232 Zach, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  13. King Koopa

You have no clue what you're talking about...I was against signing Fitz for forever and would have never complained about your first scenario

Im also sorry you don't like the answer that there's plenty of different things Macc could have done but it's the truth. What is the point in going thru free agency or the draft and then picking all of the best moves possible and saying here he should have done this this and this? Anyone could do that for any team and it's unrealistic

He didn't have to go crazy on older free agents his first year here. He didn't have to draft any of the players he did. Why should I have to name exactly who we could have drafted or signed or traded for....I'm here to give my opinion on the job he's done as a whole over the 2 years he's been in charge and it hasn't been that promising to me overall.

I'm not going to agree with every single move and that's fine..I just wanna see some kind of plan and progress. There's some progress with some of the younger players but what exactly is the plan?

He's still in charge so I have no choice but to hope he does a good job this offseason. The QB position continues to be a disaster 2 years later and he needs to fix it...simple as that

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What part of [Name ONE] do you not understand? ONE SCENARIO. That's all I asked. [You have provided NONE thus far.]

Why am I asking this? You blame Macc - and I am demanding the evidence that he deserves a blame. It's that simple. You can't blame someone just because you feel like it. Just because [somehow that makes sense in your deluded mind.]

15. King Koopa

Could have saved money the first year and rolled over to sign the Giants free agents this season...could have drafted Dak who I posted here before the draft is the guy I wanted

Could have signed Hoyerr instead of Fitz for 10 million less and the same production...wouldn't have been any worse. Didn't have to sign Fitz or anyone for that matter and just went with Geno or Petty while saving a nice chunk of money

Could have drafted an o lineman instead of Devin Smith

What does that all matter though? Anyone can look back and point out the right way to do things on his mistakes

16. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Alright I'm all done defending Mac. The more I think about it, the less he should have kept his job. His last draft was such a clusterfuck, I really think he should be fired for pure incompetence. Darron Lee was a joke that ultimately turned out to be the worst rated linebacker in 2016. This little twerp has BUST written all over him. Even more egregious is the Hack pick. We got NOTHING from him in 2016. He's a running punch line amongst Jets coaches.

So far this draft has turned out to be as bad or worse as any draft from Idzik? Quite frankly, Mac should have been fired right along with toilet a week ago. Both of these assholes fucking suck. I have absolutely ZERO faith in this GM building a long term winner.

17. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Draft picks aside, how about the fact that we let a first team Defensive All Pro walk to a cross town rival who were just able to build a top 5 defense while ours unraveled. Makes me sick to my stomach that we lost Snacks while paying huge contracts to guys like Revis and Mo who grossly underperformed.

The Jets' #1 root cause of failure IMO is their inability to evaluate talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I expected this. I seriously did.

1. NO YOU CAN'T.

Idzik didn't spend enough for 2 years - Jets had to spend when Macc arrived. There is this thing called salary cap floor - that's like the minimum every team must spend each and every year. Jets spent below that for a while. The surplus had rolled over to the fiscal year of 2015 - that's the year Macc took reins. Save money? Just what the fuck?

2. Do GMs watch the [Future Network Inc.]? NO.

It's easy to complain [after] the season. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Pick OL with Devin pick, eh? Did you even bother to check who was available at that spot?

[Mitch Morse, Jake Fisher, Rob Havenstein, Ty Sambrailo, Ali Marpet - which would you pick instead of Devin? Of course, that would have been a major reach as well, no matter which one you go after.]

Save some money with FA, eh? Like they knew the FAs would suck the incoming year, eh? [Yeah. RIGHT.]

==================================================================

3. I knew that, when Macc came in, he had a boatload of money to spend. My gut feeling at that time was, maybe it would be better to extend Wilkerson early. By showing the confidence in him, maybe Macc could get some discount along the way. Mutual win-win situation, for the lack of a word. Instead Macc went out and spent the money on FA acquisition. That rebuilt the once shady secondary in a hurry, but Wilkerson signing came back to bite in the ass the year after. But at least I can understand that he wanted to see what Wilkerson could do before he offered the extension. This is about all I can pick on Macc's missteps in year 1.

Same deal with basically every other FA pickups and draftees. Ok - fine. Maybe sticking with Fitz in year #2 wasn't the brightest idea. [Matt Schaub was available for much less - about 1.7 per.] But then, [if it's that much obvious to everyone] maybe there was something else in action. Obviously, say, Jets went after Schaub and got him. That would mean he starts learning Gailey's offense all over again. [He's as good as a rookie with Gailey's system after all.] Maybe someone in the CS didn't like that prospect. [Not just Schaub, but basically every FA QBs for that matter.]

Drafting Prescott? Are you fucking kidding me? [I'll just stop here.]

==================================================================

That little bullshit - or fantasy, for that matter - you posted is NOT a plan.

Look. Jets had holes everywhere in the roster - thanks to you-know-who. Like you said, there are million different ways to fill these holes. You can't blame the GM [because his plan does not coincide with yours.] Like I said in previous postings, Jets did fill a few holes along the way already. And that's done without good position coaches on the shelf either. [I am starting to think this more to Bowles than Macc - Pepper Johnson comes to mind, along with the general unhappiness from the players toward their respective position coaches.] And you think this GM is bad?

[I am not even saying Macc is the GM God Incarnate either. Sheesh.]

#238 Zach, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    iJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with the bolded sentence. He wouldn't have been able to spend the money the NFL required signing only younger, cheaper FAs. He HAD to spend a certain amount. He couldn't roll most of it over to a future season. He had to spend it, and the team had major needs. Besides, we don't know what Woody told him when he was hired. It's very likely that Woody told him that the team needed to make the playoffs within a couple of years, after having missed them for the previous 4-5 seasons. If so, he needed to establish a winning culture and get some veteran leadership on board.

I agree with the rest, save on the overall job that Mac has done. While I'm less happy with him than I was a month or two ago, I still think that at this point he's done enough to stay after Bowles is fired and be able to hire his own HC and be over him in the org chart. That will change if he doesn't have a very good offseason.

In terms of FA, his work is cut out for him. Especially with Bowles probably being a lame duck, and with the Jets' prospects not being very good, a lot of players won't want to come here, and those that do, are probably not gonna be the proud, fiery leader types, but rather those who are just looking for a big payday. Even if he cuts all the older vets presently on the roster and has $55 million or so to work with, I'll be surprised if he's able to do much in FA. The team really needs to add a LT, a TE, a C, a CB and FS, but I'll be shocked if he's able to add all that.

20. James Hasty

That's what happens when you give JJ Watt money to a guy who ain't JJ Watt.