Declining the penalty...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by graig.323, Oct 28, 2018.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I used to defend him but it’s hard to now. They need to move in a new direction but I’d fire Max too. I don’t trust these guys not to fuck things up for Sam.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Declining that penalty was asinine. I am so sick of this guy already.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sadly, the only opinion that really matters is Chris Johnson's and he's content to be "competitive" record be damned. 5-11 won't get Blowes fired either since they already have built-in excuses which you should start hearing around week 13 or so: "There was no playoff mandate", "This was a year to watch Sam's development", "Injuries to our star players", "Lack of depth and preparation..." oh wait..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Bowles has been doing this for his entire tenure here. Hasn't learned from his mistakes.

It's time for a change

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This is more sad and upsetting than it is infuriating. What's upsetting is that Bowles has completely changed the culture and has the entire team buying into a team first united front. It looked this way from early on in the off-season and has proven to be true.

For me the questions about Bowles that I was willing to give him a pass on was his past transgressions with game management. Anyone who has galvanized a team and has them playing hard and believing in each other I felt like deserved a pass as maybe this was just a 1st time HC learning and could turn things around. Clearly this is not the case.

I think there are members of this staff and aspects that I would hate to be changed. Bates for one, who I have been skeptical about seems to be improving and learning and likewise so is Sam, I would hate to change this dynamic as it may cause serious regression. Kevin Greene is another member of the staff who I think is a positive force and firey guy who is good to have on the sidelines. Stump Mitchell has helped a bad player like Crowell break the Jets single game rushing record and have multiple 200+ yard rushing games. Stump has also kept Powell in great shape prior to the injury. There's also the belief that this staff would desire to bring on Uncle Josh as a QB coach if he decides to retire after this season. Who knows if the next staff would feel the same way, and clearly there's a strong bond between him and Sam that very few athletes have the luxury of. It reminds me of an elite fighter and their trainer, the best fighters ever and current are as close as family with their trainer.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Bates has been improving? What? Where are the drag or slant routes? Every pass is a curl route that is swarmed.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You have to consider the clock when your trailing. 3rd and 10 is a favorable situation for the D. Football is more than down and distance. It's field position and the number of plays you can run vs your opponent. There's a clock in football. Giving your opponent 1 more play and taking away a play from your O when you're trailing has to be part of the equation. If you can't stop them on 3rd and 10 and you're trailing you ain't winning.

FJF and tiger8mush like this.
  8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he's Sean Payton or Andy Reid, I'm just saying if you look at weeks 1-3 vs 4-8 you can clearly see improvements and willingness to open things up. Besides, I don't think we can even judge the past 2 weeks without apply massive caveats. There's entirely too many injuries to judge fairly.

Vader likes this.
  9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Biggs, the penalty happened with ~10:00 minutes left in the third quarter with the Jets down by a score of 7 to 3. At that point the clock has no bearing. There was plenty of time left and it was a one score game. Up until that juncture the D was playing well. Third and 10 is a favorable position. However, 2nd and 20 is more favorable.

Unless you think that 3rd and 10 is a better situation than 2nd and 20 than you take the penalty. It's as simple as that. In all my years watching football I can't remember seeing another coach decline a penalty in a similar situation.

If a 10 yard penalty was on an unsuccessful third down play or the penalty was called on a 5+ yard sack then you decline. The only other case where you might decline this penalty if there were under 2:00 minutes left in the game and you didn't want anymore time to run off the clock. However, that was not the case in this situation.

Unless you are giving up an average of 10 yards per play on D, you take that penalty. No way to sugarcoat it, that was a dumb choice by Bowles - at least IMHO.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Here's what I think. On 2nd and 20 Trubisky drops back to pass and scrambles for 10 yards bringing up third and 10 with 9:30 left on the clock.

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is the fourth or fifth time this moron has done it. The three I specifically remember is the one against Pittsburgh in 2016, last week, and this week vs Chicago. Bowles has no balls.

EDIT: Going for it on 4th and 1 was some of the biggest balls I've seen from Bowles ever.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It was a horrendous decision. Even the Jets broadcast crew was stunned that he declined that penalty.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

exactly. plus you have to figure where they were on the field. Taking them back 10 yards makes it harder for them to get in scoring range. Time wasn't any concern but points and field position were.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Put up the Billboards.."Fire Bowles NOw"

May interrupt Woody from his tea and crumpets across the Pond and send a message to the other phony brother Chris

tomdeb likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Hindsight is always 20/20. If they got the stop, it would have been considered a good move, since it didn't, it's automatically wrong.

Walt White likes this.
  16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I say it again the NYJs with never/ever win the SB with Bowels as our HC sorry to say :mad:

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m not liking the idea of another round of billboards at this point. We’re never going to attract top talent if that’s what they can expect.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

From what I know people on the inside like Chris a lot better than Woody and they say Chris has a lot more on the ball. Give him a chance to assess toilet and do the right thing before putting him the the clueless Woody category. If toilet isn't fire by black Monday following this season then I support your view of Chris being as incompetent as Woody.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're right.

Skywriting would be way more effective at this point.

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

honestly the punt bothered me more then the penalty. Giving an extra down with suck a long to go isn't always the best idea especially when you are down and trying to get the ball back. lots of times those 2nd and 20s can turn into a 3rd and short anyway but 3rd and 10 is easier to defend as a whole then a 2nd and 20. not saying it was the right call but doens't mean it was a bad call either. you take a chance and you win some and lose some. the punt was nonsense though and made no sense