D'brick Ferguson; Bargaining chip?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyMaC, Oct 30, 2014.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Not sure about his contract status but his game has gone down. Maybe he would be willing to renegotiate in order to stay here. But you can't play around with the LT or center positions. We have to put an emphasis on the OL in the upcoming draft. Draft at least two highly rated players. The 49ers did that a few years ago and it has worked out for them big time. Same with the Cowboys and you're now seeing some of the results.

#21 pclfan, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Haha so true.

Its kind of a madden move, but that isnt a bad thing.

If someone told us that we could get a second for Brick, I dont see a reason not to.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think it's a pretty good idea, but what might also work is if we don't trade him until the draft. If we go through the first round and draft an LT, we can trade Brick the next morning for pick(s). If we end up drafting a QB, we'll likely want to keep Brick around.

4. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If we trade D'Bricassart then we'd have to spend our number one on a left tackle. I thought we were going after Mariota. Make up your f-ing mind!

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If Jets want to full on suck for a few years then they should move brick. It would be prudent to get a replacement in house but it doesn't need to be a day 1 player. A mid round developmental LT with a lot of potential would be good right now.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yup - Brandon Albert was a similar experiment with the Chiefs at RT (not good AT all with run blocking) and Charles looked pretty decent to me last season.

Chadchrebet likes this.
  7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You don't draft a Qb high up without a good OL. Tired of developing young Qbs anyways. Get a decent veteran game manager someone who knows how to play the position and you won't have the turnovers or horrible performances that can bring a team down. It's unusual to get a great Qb out of the draft because there's only a handful of good ones. And get a good OC while you're at it.

8. xxedge72x

QBs may be the difference been a team being ok vs good, but they still need to have a team around them that will enable them to use their talents. The jets have twice made the mistake of drafting a QB high and anointing them savior without properly supporting them.

A veteran QB who will not make mistakes is the best thing for the Jets right now until they can build an offense worth drafting a QB for.

9. Sorry.No way I agree w/ this. And I don't care what PFF says b/c I never agree w/ their scores & watch OL play more than anything else.

Brick is still more than serviceable. The days of a dominant LT are gone..he is no better or worse thsn the top 10 OTS in this league.

His price tag is steep..but as someone already mentioned LT is no joke. Jets don't seem to do well w/ "Hold the fort" OL talent. If you wanna replace Brick..find a legit replacement. Good luck in this upcoming FA market & draft class.

I leave Brick right where he is.Maybe get him to restructure. We aren't finding a better LT or a an adequate replacement at this time.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't go for the argument that these two Qbs esp. Mark failed because of their teammates. For the most part the OLs were ok and sometimes good. They both turned over the ball and didn't make plays. Mark could only function in a ground and pound. And that's what the Jets should have stayed with. It worked. Neither of these guys is good enough to be a featured Qb in a passing offense. And it's hard to get someone who is. That's why I (like you) want a competent game manager and to put our resources into the infrastructure: ie. the lines and a cornerback or two.

11. xxedge72x

I'm not saying they failed because of their teammates... I'm just saying as a team you can't draft a kid straight out of college at that position and expect Super Bowls while doing little to nothing to support them.

I think that while they did end up failing here, the greater failure has been the Jets leadership and administration.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And I sure mentioned this problem, about good 2 years ago - that's when Revis bolted from the Jets.

I got mauled for that too. It does feel so god damn good to be the ominous Cassandra - especially when that happens with alarming frequency, more so.

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

When I say teammates what I mean is the players surrounding the Qb on the OL and skill positions. Mark's fans have always blamed management for not getting him the weapons needed to win. Or they blamed the OL. And the Offensive Coordinators. Everyone except Sanchez! He got the opportunity that most players never get esp when they play poorly. Over 60 starts. Thank god, they finally got rid of him. If that was Idzik's decision I applaud him for it.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We find our LT in round one of this draft.

We can not keep overpaying Brick to play LT inconsistently.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You do not find a quality starter at LT in the middle rounds of the draft. You get one in round one or if you are really lucky you might find one in round two.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. It isn't just a matter of putting on more weight, but even so, Brick has had problems keeping weight on his whole career. That's not such an easy task for him. The more important issue is that he isn't a good enough run blocker. RTs should be road graders for the rushing attack. Brick is a barely passable blocker for RBs. Moving him to RT wouldn't accomplish anything. It would just keep the OL subpar, and he would be even more overpaid.

17. Who in this upcoming class impresses you?Of the top 3 OT's coming out:

*Cedric Ogbuehi Texas AM- Is strictly a Right Tackle

*Brandon Scherff Iowa- Is likely a better fit at guard

*Andrus Peat Stanford- Strictly a zone blocking guy

Now if you want to say we take these players at their natural positions I'll jump on board.But I don't like any of them to replace big Brick. They just aren't Left Tackles

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I wouldnt mind trading Brick and drafting a tackle in the first 2 rounds. Id really like to see some youth on our O line. In 2009 and 2010 our O line was responsible for a lot of our success.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Scherff can play LT / RT and any G position. He's like DJ Fluker from the Chargers. Peat is hella impressive though, don't think for a moment he's strictly a zone blocking guy. I think Brick is fine for at least another 2 or 3 seasons. We should still look for a replacement to groom in the near future.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

This is not the time to upgrade D'Brick. Bad LT play can break a team. and he's easily "hold the fort" good. 2 Guards, QB, CB (maybe two) are higher priorities.