Day one offensive rebuilding draft that would work.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I respect your opinion but let's note one thing: The 3 QB's you mentioned were all students of the infamous Jeff Tedford. He is famous for his "inflation" of QB stock at the college level and up to this point lack of NFL production. An interesting comparrison would be Florida WR's in the late 90's under Spurrier. Very polished route runners w/ good size, but they had no upside when they got to the next level.

I'm not saying Tedford's tutorial is the main reason for the QB's listed draft day reaches and/or lack of success at the college level, but it is an interesting observation to note.

Also, w/ the exception of Losman, all those QB's had their stock rise about 2 weeks before the actual draft do mainly to Individual workouts and "promotional workout tapes"(In the case of Boller). Cutler sprung into the 1st round big board about a week before the bowl games began. The additional exposure and a decent week at the senior bowl have made him rise even more. But by no means is he a "workout warrior" or late riser by any stretch of the imagination.

Is he a risk? Absolutely. But is he a risk comparible to the 3 listed above? Not in my opinion.

2. I see what you're saying, as Bunkley is alil quicker and D rob maybe slightly stronger, but they are both what I like to call "Power gap shooters". That means they arent big enough to be a 2gap NT, and they arent undersized or overly quick 3T's. WHat they are, are guys w/ a good combo of power and quickness that allows them to shoot gaps and be disruptive(when at the top of their game). There are def. differences in their game, but I see them as having the same role at the NFL level.

What we need is somebody who can man the middle of the 3-4 and who can take some pressure off of D rob if/when we play the 4-3.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the problem with the Cutler hype is that he was disregarded at the beginning of the season and middle up until he had a couple good games vs. Tennessee (with an injured Jason Allen, and worn out Mahelona/Stewart) and a bad Kentucky defense.

I also would like to get a big man to clog the middle but I don't trust Watson because he's lazy, and Bunkley is probably the next best thing that we have a chance to acquire in mid round one (Abe trade) early round two.

4. edal

edal New Member

Its always a risk picking any QB so high. There have been a lot of busts in recent years, but if you hit, your set to be competitive for a decade. You have to assume Pennington was a bust, not really for his talent, but because he's injury prone.