Darron Lee Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Charlie Kelly, Aug 16, 2018.

?

Darron Lee

1. lol

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. lmao

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. MaineJet is bad

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. rotflmao

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

No doubt.

It showed in the Colts game and Minny went after it. Looks like a lot of missed gap assignments to me as well, by several players. Minny is the better developed 'team' at this point tho. Depth is an obvious issue now also with Middleton and Maye out.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Then why not play him situationally on passing downs until he develops into a 4 down player? Coaches do that all the time with pass rushers; why can't we with an ILB? While I will make fun of it, I can live with him getting blown up in the hole. What I can't live with is him routinely and "conveniently" being in the wrong gap. If the much smaller Adams can take on blockers why can't he?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Walt White

Adams is missing assignments and gaps. Leaping headlong into the wrong place doesnt make it better. Btw, I call bs on the Lee 'conveniently' missing gaps.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. legler82

Although Adams plays in the box more often than not, he is still a safety. Thus, most of the time he's playing the role of the 8th man in the box. Other than him failing to maintain outside containment, which he rarely does, it's pretty much impossible to determine when or if he misses his assignments and "gaps" against the run. If you are savvy enough to know the gap responsibility of an unaccounted for run defender just by watching a game on TV, then maybe you should be coaching this team. Conversely, it's pretty obvious to know and see the gaps Lee are suppose to fill in a 3-4 front, especially with Williamson doing his part on the other side. I'm starting to call it "convenient" or "business decisions" because he seems to be where he is suppose to be on pass plays. Plus I know he's a very smart guy, 3 years in I'm having a hard believing that he doesn't know his run fits.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Walt White

Really? Yet you're gonna sit here and say who is making business decisions on the D assignments and whether they're not living up to their responsibilities for the team. C'mon man.
    That remark has about as much substantiation as the whiners on here last year when they were crying Lee didn't know how to cover. Like he was supposed to be Darrelle Revis.
    There have been guys all along the front getting beat, and it's a team thing. Picking out Lee is one thing declaring he's not playing his ass off and not committed is a joke.
    But perhaps you know better than me and the coaches, and should be the one on the sidelines in the NFL coaching a bum like Lee up? You seem to have some keen insight.

#365 Walt White, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That long Latavius Murray touchdown, it looked like Lee misread it and Murray ran right where he should’ve been

7. Walt White

That was Lee making a business decision. Leo and Jenkins too. Leo and Jenkins decided to be submissive there because they didn't wanna get hurt. Just business.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. legler82

Just so we are clear; I don't think he is a "bum", at least not this year. His playmaking in coverage outweighs his deficiencies against the run so overall he is plus for us now. I also don't think he is slacking and not playing hard. What I do see is a guy that shies away from contact; he doesn't want that smoke as the kids would say. Note that is completely different than getting physically beaten which you've pointed out has been happening along the front 7.

Deon Sanders arguably the best cover CB in the history of the game routinely made business decisions on his way to the HOF. Jerry Rice the best WR ever tried his best to avoid contact. Brady and Manning, 2 QBs in the conversion for GOAT go down faster drug addicts in need of their next fix. Our very own Curtis Martin knew when to live to fight for another day. This doesn't mean these guys didn't play their asses off. See this trait is not unique to Lee. What is somewhat unique is to have a guy like Lee who prefers to run and chase play ILB in a 3-4 where he has to take on blockers. Mangini tried this Vilma, it didn't work then either.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Von Miller was suspect against the run early in his career and they kept him on all downs.

Vic Beasley, horrible against the run, many thought he should have been selected over Leonard Williams. The 2nd run td wasnt on Lee, it was on Adams who pulled a Antonio Cromartie and completely whiffed. Williamson took a bad angle I think too. Lee doesn't do great when he has to shed blocks, he has to improve that, but 1 thing at a time.

Lee gets in the backfield like a missle, I would rather keep him in. He can get sacks every now and then also.

#369 101GangGreen101, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  10. BrowningNagle

Yup. Way too many guys like that on this roster and the staff allows it. Thats why this team and staff will never win. We need someone to come in and change the culture completely

11. 101GangGreen101

If the Johnsons are going to gut this regime, Jets better make sure they get the right guy coaching this defense so there's no set-backs to go along with the offensive coaching. I've seen this story before and it set the Jets back when they traded away our good young talent. Right now the Bucs had a similar situation, and they are giving up more points / yards at a record rate. Then fans will be bitching that the O is good but the D is bad. Just be careful what you ask for is all I am saying.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

Dierking and FJF like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Lee calling out Cimini

14. BrowningNagle

Wow. what a primadonna Sharon Lee is. SMH

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is also very desperate. Taking to twitter to defend yourself against a prominent beat writer criticizing you for something that’s factually incorrect doesn’t make him a primadonna.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Everyone wants to be an NFL expert nowadays, Cimini just got told. NFL players do this all of the time on social media.

17. BrowningNagle

Not really. Cimini went after multiple guys on the defense and to my knowledge Lee is the only one who got his feelings hurt, throwing his teammates under the bus. Someone looks dumb, that's for sure. The "team leader"

legler82 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

The league in general tends to call out people who are wrong in social media, it's a new league. BTW, I don't think of Lee as a team leader, but he's been pretty damn good in coverage this year. Hopefully he continues his breakout season. He was correct and he didn't reference who screwed up (it was clearly Adams looking at who knows, and Williamson took a meh angle).

19. BrowningNagle

If I'm to believe Lee, which I'm not sure I do, why would an NFL defense ask their inside linebacker to just take one gap and that's it.

Better yet why would they do that with Lee, a 1st round draft pick when they can get any scrub linebacker off the street to hit a gap, get blocked out of the play and be satisfied with the result.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Williamson was on the field as in ILB, and he's pictures in the screengrab trying to get to his gap. Lee went to his. Your hate for Lee is affecting your ability to see things clearly.