Darnold's long ball...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 11, 2018.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i dont think he has a weak arm like say pennington but his arm isnt the strongest

fansince90 likes this.
  2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Funny, I remember him airing it in college (esp, on last second Hail Marys.) That was one thing I was worried about him. He played hero ball too much in college.

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding the OP’s protestations to the contrary, he did not watch any of Sam’s USC games.

Not with the conclusions he seemingly made up.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LMAO..Dan Orlovsky PLAYED FOR DETROIT and had no reason to go out of his way to post the clip highlighting the beauty of the throw to Anderson..plus Orlovsky gushing how SD alreafy playing like a Vet ..not 21
    Everyone here should listen to exactly what he said eg how PATIENT SD was to handle rush, stay in pocket and see the guy downfield ("Brady a master at this") ..holy smokes guys Sam heaved that rock 50 yards..!!!!

There should no complaining ..unless you want to compare it to Pat Mahomes 65 yard TD recently but BOTH were very impressive

5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

His arm strength was listed as a strength in his college evaluation. One scouting report had his as having an arm stronger than 85% of NFL QBs.

HIs arm is better than Ryan, than Wentz, than Goff, than Cousins, than Mayfield, Rosen, etc. Watch the USC game, they list his best attributes and 2nd is arm strength. He throws the ball as hard as it needs to be thrown today, uses touch to make a very catchable pass.

#85 LF911SC, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Go watch *any* Ryan Fitzpatrick target of Robby Anderson in 2016

That’s what an underthrow looks like

KurtTheJetsFan and Red Menace like this.
  7. LF911SC

Some people apparently think that if the WR doesnt catch the pass at full speed without a single slight adjustment while covered its an underthrow. Pretty funny.

Acad23 and Big Cat like this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The pass he made to Anderson went 47 yards in the air and he didn't have time to set his feet and crank it. He threw it flatfooted....he has plenty of arm strength. Would you have felt better if he threw it 15 more yards over his head. He threw it rite where it needed to be to give Anderson a chance..I think your nit picking a bit.

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The long ball is more a repetition and timing issue right now as opposed to arm strength. It will get better in time as he gets more experience with his WRs.

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think some people have been spoiled from all the hype at how well Sam has done this offseason and they're looking for perfection rite out of the gate....it was only his first freaking game.

11. LF911SC

Its a matter of timing with his WRs. Limited practice time doesnt help a first time QB with his WRs.

Any QB can throw the ball 65 yards downfield. Chad threw a 65 yard pass with a shredded shoulder against Pitt in the playoffs. Had no arm strength left but got it out and downfield. Couldnt throw a sideline pass though

Red Menace likes this.
  12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I mean the ball to Robby was a bit underthrown for sure. I dont think this is some kind of serious indictment on his arm strength.

But it was also a laser of a throw that he really just flicked.

I'm willing to give it a few more games, this could easily just be not being in sync with Robbie's speed.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wentz? Probably not but the rest i agree with. as i said before he is very similar to rodgers talent wise and play style wise. that's his ceiling. he also is smart to not put too much on it when it's not needed.

LF911SC likes this.
  14. LF911SC

His arm is stronger than Wentz. Especially evident if you watch his early games at USC when he rifled every pass, its there when he wants it, different than throwing every pass as if trying to knock down walls. A QB wants to throw an easily catchable ball. Real point is he has more than enough arm to make any throw. Its not an issue or concern.

I agree with the Rodgers comparison, he does remind me of him. I see that as the upside more than Romo, who he also has a much stronger arm than.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I love the long pass play, but we'll probably see it called in limited circumstances.

Bates will stick to plays that fit Sams skill set.

Was that pass to Anderson scripted? I noticed Robbie giving the "I'm open" hand signal to Sam.

Being that Darnold is always looking downfield while on the move, I'm sure they'll be opportunities to take a shot. When plays break down, Sam gets makes lemonade.

16. GasedAndConfused

IDK man, wentz is like a more mobile big ben

45 yards downfield, all arm, while getting tackled on a rope. Wentz is kinda a freak.

I do agree it's kinda pointless as darnold has the arm to make any throw so it's not an issue of who's stronger. he can do everything a NFL QB needs to.
    Not scripted. It was his 3rd read. 1st read was to powell over the middle but it was covered. 2nd read to a WR on top of the screen but he just shoulder faked it cause he seen robbie open with his hands up. then he went to the 3rd read in robbie.

NFL WRs often put their hands up when wide open to stand out to the QB

17. LF911SC

Wentz is a big guy but not a big arm. Nowhere near Bens arm

18. GasedAndConfused

watch that video. that's a throw very few QBs in the NFL can make

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I think its probably pretty common to under throw Robbie Anderson. Dude is blazing. Its good to see he's really good at fighting for the ball in the air, that was a hell of a catch.

Why anyone gives him a free release off the line is a mystery.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can't coach speed.

I like how Anderson fought for that ball. He's getting better every game.

Gonna be interesting to watch our passing attack develop.

NY Jets68 and CotcheryFan like this.