Darnold Will Blow Up The Tank Job

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Double post

2. I'd prefer not getting personal...but given the fact that you are questioning my credibility when frankly you are flat out WRONG...I'll play along...

I did play the game actually...several years of youth as well as High school. Guess what position I played on O..? Left Tackle.Right Tackle.Center. I've aso done some youth coaching. Guess what position I worked with primarily? LINEMEN,

Still not convinced? I was a senior columnist on an NFL draft web site ran by Matt Miller among others sometime around the Mangini era before the site went under. Guess what my column was called? "In the trenches". It was all about offensive line observations within the NFL/College spectrum. I also evaluated draft prospects...guess what positions I was responsible for..? You guessed it;OFFENSIVE LINEMEN.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn. I'm sure there are folks on here whose football background puts mine to shame & who's knowledge is far beyond my realm. But don't tell me I don't understand offensive line.

I am a football purist through & through. I love when games are won & lost up front. I love tough physical defensive northeast football. I spent many hours on here over the years emphasizing the importance of OL play among many "Madden lovers". But despite my own personal preferences for the dynamics of the game...I care more about seeing the Jets win & finally SHUT UP the likes of the Mara's & satan's foxborough legion. As such I have come to accept that OL play just doesn't matter quite as much as it used to. And frankly, looking back at some of the better Jets teams that fell short & the powerful OL's they had....maybe it never matered that much to begin with. We've never had the horses on either side of the ball behind center or the boundary to keep pace or mirror the upper echelon of the league in crunch time.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You are wasting your breath trying to explain it to him, I tried earlier :rolleyes:

Walt White likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

No doubt about that. I just wish Macc would get that memo. Instead he took two safeties in the first 2 rounds. He thinks Hackenberg is the golden boy yet he can't even see the field. He should have drafted a QB in this draft because you never know where you might find one that works.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Holy shit. This dude played football other than Madden and flag football man. That settles that. Wow! I'm impressed :cool:

#165 Walt White, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan, K'OB and FJF like this.
  6. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Nice credentials Bub.
    I guess you and I disagree.
    As long as the game has been played, line play dictates.
    It hasn't changed

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. tbruner12

I believe his previous season proves he was the 100% starter.
    His 12 million bucks was another.
    That isn't lame duck.
    Who cares how much they paid him? Really? HE WAS THE SET STARTER, you can deny it all you want.

8. K'OB

Are you ever wrong about anything ?

He would have been set if he had a 3 year contract at a decent QB's wage, he was offered a contract due to the fact he had a golden year of sorts, they also knew he cost us the damned play offs with his blow out against the bills, this is why they tried to get him back on the cheap, a typical stop gap QB contract in fact, in the end they compromised at the last minute and it didn't do either party much good but Fitz was far away from set at QB, if he was set then they would have paid him what he wanted and he would have been at the ota's and not sat on his fat arse stroking his beard for weeks.

#168 K'OB, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  9. tbruner12

Do you read anything?
    Do you have any sense?
    He wanted a 16 million deal for one year, he got 12.
    So maybe being set is a multi year contract to you. Again, last season we were set with Fitz. He wasn't my choice, but what else could management do?
    Play Hack?
    I bet when they hired McClown, management is set at QB again.
    He will start until injured.

10. K'OB

I certainly have more sense than you it seems, he was a stop gap QB, that is not being "set" in the context of the original post that all this arguing has come from, you think McCowan is set at QB ?

Do you have a different idea of what being set is to the rest of us ?

As it is my take on being set would be to have a QB you actually bloody wanted under centre and tied down to a multi year deal, now that would be being set as you wouldn't have to be worrying about your QB on a season by season basis.

Also why the hell are you bringing Hack into this thread, fuck me for a man that says you have no hatred for him you sure are doing a lot of sniping.

11. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Ok, so you are saying no matter how well Petty or Hack played in preseason, they had no chance to unseat him? Really? This was Montana and Steve Young?
    And the contract was a.lame duck contract. It was the definition of a lame duck.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Rivers was drafted 4th overall and didn't see the field his 1st 2 season either really.
    in 2004 he threw 8 times for 33 yards and had a fumble. most likely garbage time (2 games)
    matter of fact they didn't trust rivers so much that they franchised brees to stay another year. brees played under the tag in 2005 and started every game for the chargers
    Rivers in 2005 he had 1 game where he came in a 48-10 blowout. didn't throw a pass had 1 rush attempt for -1 yards (likely took a knee)
    in week 17 he took over for brees who blew out his shoulder. rivers was 12-22 for 11 yards 54.5% 0TDs 1 INT and they lost 7-23

If brees didn't get hurt, rumor was after brees impressive season they were gonna keep him and trade rivers (fans wanted us to trade for rivers at the time as well) but with brees hurt SD let him walk and moved onto rivers despite his poor play in 2 years. We couldn't sign brees as we had too much money tied into another injured QB (chad) and couldn't risk paying big money to 2 QBs with bum shoulders. Brees went to NO and had a HOF career and won a SB and at the age of 40 still kicking ass. Rivers career hasn't been too shabby either. he's made pro bowls and should be a HOF candidate. He's thrown for almost 46k yards 314TDs (to only 156INTS) 64.4% and QB rating of 94.7 and us, well 12 years later and we still are looking for a QB.

So don't be so quick to write off hack. look at what rivers did with his career and his start is very similar to hack.

13. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Huge eye roll

14. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

Ha, perfect!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Cowboys and Raiders are the latest examples of how the OL is an essential component to putting a team in serious contention. The Jets however still lack the other definite component to success, a FQB

Argue all you wish about the OL I couldn't care less.. but our present OL is fair at best imo...which is fine by me for tanking purposes lol

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

it's not even "fair"....poor is more like it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Are you comparing Hack to Brees and Rivers? Both were far superior to Hack even in college. You missed the big point that even though they had Brees they still took another QB. The Jets are taking back to back safeties and signing scrubs like McCown. They should be subscribing to the Ron Wolf theory of taking a QB every year until you find your franchise one. Even now the BOLTS could probably trade Rivers for some draft picks. What could we get for Hack?

ColoradoContrails and tbruner12 like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'd argue about brees being superior. he was also weak armed and short and fell to the 2nd round over concerns much like hack (the concerns not the height or arm strength). rivers obviously is a diferent story. if eli didn't have the manning name, rivers would have been the 1st overall pick. he outperformed ben and eli in college. all 3 have had great careers. ben has rings and numbers, rivers has numbers, and eli has rings and still pretty good numbers but not at the level of ben or rivers. still all 3 are much better then we have.

As far as the draft goes, I was screaming for a QB here to be drafted. Didn't like the picks we made at all. I can live with adams since it's value, but the maye pick was aweful in my opinion. I agree with the take a QB every year until you have one, and even then take one late anyway. Every mock draft i did included a QB prior to the draft.

boozer32 likes this.