Darnold was the jets guy all along, They were shocked he fell. full details of the war room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 3, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In today's pass-friendly NFL, "pinning them deep in their own territory" is not nearly as certain as it once was. The odds of making it on 4th down are much better than people assume. Read this article which explains this better than I can here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/upshot/4th-down-when-to-go-for-it-and-why.html

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

No, but it works more often than not if used all the time.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It was one of the reasons the Jets didn't go to the SB, we spotted them 6 extra points and we lost a 1 score game. It works both ways, it's all about situation football. Being aggressive isn't always the best route, but sometimes you do have to be aggressive, depends on the flow of the game.

What the Jags did against the Pats (AFCCG) prior to halftime was a bad move, they had 2 TOs and plenty of time left on the clock.

4. ColoradoContrails

Of course, it's always situational, but the point is that coaches should go for it much more often - in fact, MOST of the time - than they do...the odds favor it.

“Audaces fortuna iuvat (latin)- Fortune favors the bold.”

Virgil

twown likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

Hopefully Darnold allows the coaching staff to be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball. I can understand why some coaches are reluctant to allow Bortles or Josh McCown to be overly aggressive with less time on the clock / down situation.

Eagles had a great plan against the Pats in the SB, but mainly because Pederson trusted Nick Foles, he scouted him.

All Gas No Shake, FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

I agree that having Darnold will open up their game plan...at least I hope it does. But Bowles's conservative coaching is a big reason why I don't like him and think the Jets need to get rid of him to reach their potential.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Eh, I think the biggest reason the Jets didn't go to the Super Bowl that year was because they were flat to begin the game. Not to mention they had 2 chances to stop the Steelers on 3rd down at the end. To this day, I wonder what could've been if we got the ball back with a gassed Steelers defense, but it's possible Sanchez and Co would've found a way to screw up somehow.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

It was 3rd and 15 on the back of our own endzone we dial up a desperate deep pass play. Sack, fumble, td. Game was 24-0, that was a horrible call with like a min left on the clock in the half

9. 101GangGreen101

Gotta see what this QB can do, and I think that will allow the coaching staff to be more aggressive. My main issue with Bowles is the inability to generate a pass-rush.

10. CotcheryFan

Was a crushing play for sure. But we did get a FG before halftime and scored a TD on our first drive of the 2nd half. Would you say that Sanchez was responsible for that defensive TD before our FG?

11. 101GangGreen101

I blame coaching. They put the players in awful situation to dial up a play where the line had to pass protect for a long time at the back of your own end zone. Situation football, and I think the Jets failed there.

12. CotcheryFan

Fair enough. I can respect that line of thinking.

13. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I agree. I've been a Big Mac (no pun intended) supporter since his arrival as the guy has confidence, conviction, the right scouting/personnel background, hires the right people and is comfortable making trades w/out fear of having to "win" them...He's risk conscious while not being risk adverse...And as he's gone forward he's done nothing to change my opinion of him. On the contrary, while I was high on Bowles at first, I've lost confidence in his ability to run this football team, he's totally risk adverse, not sure he hires the right people (Bates seems like a good hire though...after the 3rd try)...and although I thought he'd be a "no nonsense" guy when he came in, he's seemed to be more of a "hands off" guy to me...

The big thing I was waiting for to fully evaluate him was how he'd actually handle an O with a legit QB, and that maybe his risk adverse nature was the lack of confidence in his signal caller...granted Fitz/JM have had their moments but I wouldn't call them "trust builders". So, now, he's got a potential young one. Does he keep on w/ the run, run, pass punt for field position strategy with Darnold in place or does he allow Bates to be creative and take a few chances. I'm willing to keep an open mind, but in the back of my head I'm wondering if eventually it gets a little messy on the mgt. side...and wonder how the jets would handle a "keep Mac / dump Bowles" shakeup...w/ the reporting dynamic they currently have, it just seems a bit odd, but could totally see it coming to that potentially.

I think the key figure in all of this is Bates. The two important questions to me are: If Bates is as good as everyone seems to report he is will Bowles trust him to run the O correctly or will he impose a continued risk adverse nature on Bates?...#2: is Bowles truly risk adverse or has that just been a cover for his lack of leadership/QB on the O side of the ball...time will tell I guess.

#93 RedRoute1, May 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
  14. CotcheryFan

I hope he prioritizes the OL and edge rusher next offseason. Our OL needs some high end talent and we haven't had much of a pass rush since Abraham left.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This. Bowles has a lot of things he needs to improve upon, but I think the thing that will go the farthest is he has to be more aggressive on offense once the QB play starts improving. Not trusting your franchise QB will hold this team back. If hes afraid to make these decisions then let Bates make the gutsy calls as I currently trust him more than Bowles to run the offense. I am getting sick of the defense first strategy of these defensive coaches we've had over the past 10 years as games are rarely won with scores like 13-10 these days.

#95 Quinnenthebeast, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  16. Jetastic

Jetastic Member

I'm really not buying this story, Bowles gave an interview right after the draft and wouldn't mention the order they had ranked the QBs he then went on the Michael Kay Show the next day and again wouldn't reveal. Michael Kay asked him if Darnold was their guy from the beginning and he said that he didn't want to get into it. If Darnold was really their guy from the beginning I feel as though the Jets coaches and owners would have just come out and said it.

Regardless of whether it's true or not I think we all are thrilled and are hoping this works out. I can't wait to see Darnold in action, but I would like to give him some time in his first year to really learn the playbook and day to day operations and not be thrown to the wolves right off the bat.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Yes and no. You can argue that by giving the media what they want to hear - that Sam was the Jets QB1 from the jump - that the Jets are blowing their ability to keep a tight grip. Teams will believe going forward for future drafts, that "if the Jets don't name drop a kid, he's actually the one they want". Ala all reports for a month were "Rosen or Baker to the Jets". It was never Darnold.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I like that they took a big swing.

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I wanted Mayfield also, but the more I read about Darnold, the more I'm convinced the Jets got the best QB.

CotcheryFan and NY Jets68 like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He wasn’t very conservative when fitz was setting franchise records, coaches are aggressive as they can be with the players they have. Beli isn’t going for it on 4th without Brady being able to back him up on the next drive if he is wrong. Same with Pittsburgh.
    Show me an aggressive coach with a shitty offense.
    I’ll wait