Darnold was the jets guy all along, They were shocked he fell. full details of the war room

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 3, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2018/05/03/he-just-fell-to-us-retracing-jets-steps-to-getting-sam-darnold/

Everyone in the Jets’ draft room had their eyes fixed on the TV screens.

This was Thursday night and the Browns were on the clock with the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. The stories had circulated all day the Browns would take Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, but the Jets were skeptical. They still expected the Browns to take USC star Sam Darnold.

Then, they saw Mayfield pick up his phone. The Browns had taken the Heisman Trophy winner.

A buzz went through the Jets’ room. Darnold might actually make it to the Jets. But the Giants could still take him or trade the pick.

The Jets had their representatives at the draft in Arlington, Texas, on speakerphone. Those reps had their eyes fixed on the Giants’ table, waiting to see if they picked up the phone, indicating a trade.

“Anything happening?” someone asked from the Jets’ draft room.

The Giants turned the pick in fairly early. Now, the Jets’ brass started to dream about Darnold. Penn State running back Saquon Barkley picked up the phone. The Giants were taking him.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan turned to his left and looked at Brian Heimerdinger, the team’s vice president of player personnel, and said, “Oh, my God. He just fell to us.”

Maccagnan got up and walked over to where coach Todd Bowles and owner Christopher Johnson were sitting and told them he was taking Darnold.

Then, he wandered to the back of the room. A few guests had been invited to sit in the draft room. There were two elementary school-aged kids. Maccagnan sat down next to them and told them he was taking Darnold, what did they think? After voicing their approval, they got fist bumps from the Jets GM.

Heimerdinger yelled from the front of the room, “Can we turn in the pick?”

Turning in the card ended a long evaluation process for the Jets. Through conversations with people inside and outside the team, The Post retraced the Jets’ steps through that process. Here is how it unfolded:

Oct. 27, 2016: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

Maccagnan was attending the Cal-USC game to scout Cal quarterback Davis Webb and a few of the senior Trojans.

A friend of Maccagnan’s on the USC staff saw him in the end zone and asked him who he was scouting. His friend pointed to Darnold, who would not be draft eligible for another year.

“Hey, that’s the guy right there,” the friend said. “He has IT.”

Maccagnan filed it away, but the 2018 draft was still far in the distance and he knew a lot could change.

Sept. 16, 2017: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

Darnold was no longer an unknown. He entered his redshirt sophomore season as the most hyped prospect in the country after a brilliant performance in the Rose Bowl against Penn State.

Maccagnan attended five of Darnold’s games — against Western Michigan, Stanford, Cal, UCLA and this one against Texas. Maccagnan buys a ticket right behind the bench when he’s scouting a quarterback to watch how the QB interacts with teammates and coaches on the sideline and to get a view of how the ball comes off his hand.

Just before halftime, Darnold found running back Ronald Jones for a 56-yard touchdown pass. The play showed Darnold’s ability to find the right guy at the right time. USC went on to win 27-24 in double overtime with Darnold showing a calmness rarely found in a 20-year-old.

After the game, a TV crew interviewed Darnold on the field. Maccagnan hung around to watch. Darnold showed how humble he is, complimenting his team and said his teammates made some great plays. The coolness he showed on the field continued off of it.

March 17, 2018: Florham Park

The Jets had spent months breaking down the college quarterbacks. They studied the quarterbacks with film packages by situations: under center, shotgun, when blitzed, in the red zone, etc. Darnold’s ability to make plays while under duress stood out to the Jets, as did his accuracy.

Kirk Cousins had spurned the Jets earlier that week. They felt comfortable with a number of the quarterbacks and decided to try to make an early trade to beat other teams to it. While Maccagnan traveled to Pro Days at Oklahoma to see Mayfield and UCLA to see Josh Rosen, Heimerdinger hammered out a trade with the Colts for the No. 3 pick, happy to hold on to their 2019 first-rounder.

The Jets believed the odds of Darnold being available at 3 were slim, but there was a chance.

March 28: The USC campus

Those long odds felt even longer after Darnold’s Pro Day. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam sat in the stands with Darnold’s parents.

Maccagnan, Bowles, offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, director of college scouting Matt Bazirgan and linebackers coach Mike Caldwell were all at USC that day. The Jets were impressed with Darnold, who was nearly perfect despite a driving rainstorm.

It was what happened before the workout that really stood out to the Jets, though. Darnold actively cheered on his teammates in other position groups who did drills before him. He was relaxed and confident. Unlike some quarterbacks who go through a long warm-up routine, Darnold threw a few passes and then started the workout. It was as if nothing fazed him.

The Jets contingent walked away saying, “We’ll never see him again.”

April 15: The USC campus

There was some debate inside the Jets whether they needed to conduct a private workout with Darnold, the feeling being he was certain to go No. 1 to Cleveland. Ultimately, they scheduled one.

The Jets — Maccagnan, Bowles, Bates and Bazirgan — flew out the night before.

On that Sunday morning, the Jets put Darnold through a workout that consisted of 160 passes. He had three wide receivers and a tight end to throw to. After the field session, they went to a classroom, where Bates grilled him on the whiteboard. He passed every test.

April 17-18: Florham Park

Two days after the workout, Darnold was in New Jersey. He visited the Giants on Monday and Tuesday and then had dinner with the Jets on Tuesday night, followed by a day at the team’s training center on Wednesday.

On Tuesday night, they went to Maccagnan’s favorite restaurant — “Jockey Hollow” in Morristown. Johnson and Bates sat on either side of Darnold with Bowles, Bazirgan and Heimerdinger also at the table.

The more time the Jets spent with Darnold, the more impressed they became. He had a presence about him the Jets loved.

After the dinner, Bowles said: “I love him, but it’s a waste of time. He’s going No. 1. He ain’t going to be there for us.”

Nine days later, he was there for them. They called Darnold and Johnson had one message for him: “Dude, you’re going to love New York.”

The Jets had their guy.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's comforting to know that Macc believed Darnold was the best guy all along. It remains to be seen if he's right, but it's easier to believe in someone who has conviction.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I really feel like we finally caught a break for once.

It may not pay off immediately, but I think we got a decade + QB.
    I didn't feel this way at all with Sanchez, Geno or Hack, none of which I like very much heading into the draft.

This is very different.

Vida, Pepsiguy5, HAYN and 10 others like this.
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If the Jets evaluation of Darnold is correct, the trade up to 3 just purchased the entire management team a new lease on their careers. They must feel quite fortunate. Makes it more likely he gets on the field sooner.

Attackett, Harpua and LF911SC like this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I like the part where Mac had seats behind the USC bench and watched Darnold on the sly.

nycarl, NYJFOREVER, Attackett and 5 others like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Darnold was my top QB before last season began. But, I soured on him a bit after his "down" season and Rosen surpassed him as my number 1 QB. His upside is tremendous, only lower than Allen's. He does seem like a hard worker and perfect fit personality wise for NYC. Hopefully we finally got it right.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I watched most of USC’s games and have been critical of Darnold, but I was always impressed by his ability to keep his eyes downfield and make throws under pressure. He bailed his team out of many 3rd and longs running for his life and making the throw.

RexontheBeach and TrojanPride like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good. He'll fit right in on the Jets!

boozer32, RPOZ51, Cidusii and 3 others like this.
  9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I basically said the same thing. :D

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This certainly makes things clear - either Maccagnan and his staff know what they're doing or don't know what they're doing, since they got exactly the guy they wanted all along.

This probably adds a year to the time they get, but also guarantees they'll be fired if it turns out that Darnold's a bust.

CotcheryFan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

If i remember correctly, Bowles (or Mac) said a similar thing with Adams last year that has turned out very good as of right now. Hopefully Darnold and Adams end up being the QB of the offense and defense respectively for the next decade.

nycarl, Cidusii and Catfish Billy like this.
  12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Same here. Guessing most of us could say the same

playtowinthegame likes this.
  13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

really, really hope that we finally get some luck at the QB position

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The quote from Bowles is cool too. Seems like everyone was on the same page here.

15. JetLife5

JetLife5 Member

Mac and upper management bought themselves at least til the end of 2019-2020 IMO with the Darnold pick.

FJF likes this.
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Posted earlier today (at bottom of post):

http://forums.theganggreen.com/thre...-one-thing-for-sure.90540/page-4#post-3695272

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I was more thinking "If we take allen I'm going to have ot buy this bar a new TV" lol

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2018/04/29/what-parcells-sees-in-sam-darnold-who-got-his-ultimate-compliment/

When the Jets took Darnold No. 3 overall Thursday, Parcells texted Todd Bowles, his old assistant coach, and said, “You’ve got a great kid. Help him win.”

Parcells, now 76 and enjoying life away from football, believes the Jets found a quarterback.

“I really think he’s interested in winning,” Parcells told The Post on Sunday. “I say this in a complimentary way, I don’t think he’s ready to be a star, if you know what I mean. Some of these guys come out of the draft and they’re ready to be a star. I think he’s ready to be a football player.”

There is no higher compliment from Parcells than being called a football player. Phil Simms, Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Curtis Martin and Vinny Testaverde were all football players.

Agent Jimmy Sexton arranged the meeting between Parcells, one of his former clients, and the two young quarterbacks, both represented by Sexton’s agency. Parcells said the meeting wasn’t “anything special,” but it was to Darnold and Allen.

“I think the main thing was just, ‘Get back in the huddle,’ ” Darnold said of what he took from the meeting. “That was his phrase that he kept saying. No matter what the score is on Sunday, no matter what happens on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, just get back in the huddle that next week. There was a lot of things I took away from Coach Parcells. I have like two pages of notes.”

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Awesome read. I got super giddy, and that's coming from a guy who wanted Rosen or Baker on draft night.

Safe to say landing a QB with promise can change your mind :) .

K'OB and Noam like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bowles and Darnold have very similar personalities. Don't get too high or too low, looking forward to seeing them work

Br4d and FJF like this.