Darnold vs Mayfield

Discussion in 'Draft' started by xxedge72x, Apr 22, 2018.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Josh Allen is not only not the best player in the draft, he's the 5th best qb and was a bad college football player.

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Just saw Kurt Warner and Jim Mora touch on that very thing on NFLN a little while ago on Path To The Draft 'QB18', by coincidence. Warner said himself that's it not a given. It may even be a trait that some guys possess I believe. It's invaluable.

#42 Walt White, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. PJ4Ever

Wow so you think the inaccurate big armed dude is a better fit for a wco than the mobile accurate on the run dude? Do you know what a west coast offense is?

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Bates did turn chicken poop into chicken soup 1 year with Cutler. But please even in his Pro Bowl season he tossed 18 picks and had a middling 62.3 (average) completion percentage. And that was throwing to a prime Brandon Marshall standing behind a fortress of an offensive line. And Cutler went 0-3 to finish the season that year and Denver gagged a playoff spot away

I want to do better than the best of Jay Cutler. Spare me.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Walt White

I'm really starting to believe this is coming down to Rosen and Mayfield now for us. Allen and Darnold are projects and it would not surprise me if they don't wanna go that route.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wrong thread.

7. BacktoQueens

They have McCown and Bridgewater. There is no need to rush a rook onto the field. Darnold and Allen are the best QBs, and should be the choices if either are there. I think they will be gone tho and we will take Mayfiield.

8. BacktoQueens

Allen is the mobile accurate on the run dude.
    He's a great fit for this O.
    Mayfield also a good choice.

9. Walt White

It's not about rushing anybody or time of development. I think Rosen's the best QB but I think they like Mayfield too, and don't believe they automatically think Darnold and Allen are the best QB's at all.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. forevercursed

There's no smokescreen regarding Baker Mayfield. This is the most intense media market in the country when it comes to football. They follow our every move. With a position as critical at QB the Jets can't hide. There's nowhere for us to hide. When we went gaga over Hackenberg it was reported and it was no smokescreen. When the previous regime showed its interest in Geno it was reported and it was 100% true.

Regarding Bates. The Jets have coveted him for a while and I believe they are planning on him being here for the long haul and working with their QB of the future. He has a voice in the room regarding our next QB. It's not THE most influential but it counts. Do you think the fact that he dragged Cutler up to the 16th ranked QB rating in football ten years ago is going to make Bates stand up and say "YES, I want another one of those to work with!"

Not a chance

NYJetsO12 and 6-10 once again like this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ok using this 'school-related' *logic* let's pass on Mayfield because Sam Bradford's from Oklahoma and he's always getting hurt...or, because besides the brittle Bradford, NFL QBs out of Oklahoma in the past 20 years include the legendary Josh Haupel (Miami Dolphins) and Landry Jones (Pittsburgh Steelers). Fwiw, I'd take Carson Palmer over Sam Bradford and even Mark Sanchez over Josh Haupel/Landry Jones.

Curse?

stinkyB likes this.
  12. forevercursed

Another thing worth mentioning is McCown is our elder statesman Texan. Also a fiery guy and a good leader who can take fellow Texan Mayfield under his wing. McCown has already said he would relish the opportunity to tutor our QB of the future

13. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Darnold a project? I think your nuts..

14. forevercursed

Yea only Allen is a project and a big one at that. He may not be ready for an NFL snap until mid 2019 or 2020

The Jets have no QB's signed on the roster for 2019. Whoever they draft they are expecting to take the reigns at some point this year and be the man week 1 2019. Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen are pretty much all guaranteed to be that guy. Allen isn't.

The Browns are in fact the best fit for Allen as he can sit and learn there and the Browns have themselves a competent QB in Taylor who they can compete with and who's been to the playoffs.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Wrong.

holy mother of fuck

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Nice list. I don't see why people think Darnold wouldn't see the field though. He is fully capable of starting from day 1, but I wouldn't mind giving him time to learn. Same with Baker and Rosen. Allen is the only one I think would literally need 2+ years to figure things out and the Jets don't have time for that.

forevercursed likes this.
  17. PJ4Ever

Couldn't disagree more.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with the maturity topic but I don't disagree with anything you've said here.

Poeman likes this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The better question is do YOU know what a West Coast Offense is? Not all WCOs are created equal; Allen's fit would depend on what version of WCO we plan to implement. You need to ask yourself which one of the former WCO OCs Bates worked under influenced his offensive philosophy the most? If it's Morton, then Allen would not be an ideal fit. In such a scenario, I could see a guy like Mayfield making more sense, even though I don't believe he is worthy of being picked so high. If it's Shanahan, then Allen would be a great fit. If I had to make an educated guess, I would have to say it's the latter since he spent more time under the tutelage of Shanahan.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO there's no way Darnold is capable of starting day 1. If he does, I think that he will have a big chance of busting. He needs time to fix his throwing motion (if that's even possible), footwork, work on holding the ball higher, and the usual things that rookie QBs have to learn/adjust to. If he's starting or backing up his team's QB, he isn't gonna have much time to focus on fundamentals. He'll be having to work on the game plan each week and building chemistry with his receivers. Muscle memory and old habit take over under pressure, the NFL is tougher than college, so he is likely to have a lot of passes knocked down and/or intercepted, as well as suffering a bunch of strip sacks/fumbles.

The thing is going as high as he will, the pressure will be immense to get him on the field immediately. I feel for the kid. In an ideal world, he should have stayed in college for at least another year, but it isn't an ideal world. His value has been high since the end of the 2016 season. If he played another year with another bad OL, not only could he get injured, but he could have another meh/bad year and his value plummet. For his sake, I hope he goes to the Giants or a team where he can sit for a while behind a good vet and have a good OC/QB coach and patient HC who knows how to handle QBs.

#60 NCJetsfan, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018