Darnold up next...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 2, 2017.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

darnold is good. he is a top 3 pick.

2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

not sure why no one is talking about Jackson but he's in the mix. Also not sure why everyone assumes Darnold is leaving school. Kid's just a sophomore.

I think it'll be Rosen or Jackson. I'm hoping we pull a redskins and draft another QB in later rounds ala RG3/Kirk Cousins

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

In the 2019 draft

4. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

So far I like darnold a little better because of his ability to move and throw on the run ... he'll need to run with the jet offense line ..... a lot more games to watch of both players before finally deciding.... I like rosen a lot but not putting to much into throwing against Hawaii today

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

And Darnold is back on the Jets.

6. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

saw on espn, darnold is on pace to get his diploma at the end of this year. even though he dreamed of playing for usc, id bet hes willing to leave

7. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I would think being the number 1 or 2 pick will make him come out..... can't see the kid leaving that kind of money on the table to risk returning to college ball and maybe get hurt

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

And just like that we're back to going for it! Got Jets! 1-0

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can't remember all too many players that are told they're top three picks that return to school. If he finishes with say a 28-35 touchdown/10-15 INT ratio I'd say he's a shoein for leaving.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

How did that work out for WAS?

As to Darnold, why would he stay in school is he is guaranteed top 2-3 pick overall? What exactly would be the upside to refuse max $$ a rookie can command?

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about Sam Darnald and the rest.

Every year we have these same conversations about the can't miss QBs like Mitchell Tribisky, Patrick Mahomes, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel et al.

Evert year we'd give our left nuts for any one of these cats, but they go to another team. Teams that now are not barn burners. So what if we DID land our Mariota or Goff or Blake Bortles?

The last 'this guy is special' was Andrew Luck. And we continue to beat him every time we play him.

I'm not sure that landing the franchize QB of the future is the end all. Yes, i'd rather have Sam Darnald than Josh McClown, but more along the lines of wishing we had Odell Beckham over Quincy Ennunwa.

Bottom line regardless which of these young arms coming out we get, we will STILL need a great team around him. Great WRs, great Oline, Great RBs, and not to mention a suffocating Defense.

So I guess I don't mind Mac building the WHOLE team including using his first 2 pics on safeties because we'll meed all these parts and pieces to compliment a new arm and go faaaar!

And never forget we got 2 quarters away form a SB twice with a rookie arm who wasn't too good. While it's debatable if you NEED a tom brady to even have a chance, one thing that's NOT debatable is you need a solid team with skill talent and a great defense.

So I'm ok with winning all we can, maybe hit lightning in a bottle (again) then let Mac draft his top players available to continue building young fast talented team. Then with the arm gets here, we'll win the next 10 SBs in a row!

PulseJet and Red Menace like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He maybe would hate the thought of playing for whichever team had the number one pick that year, if it is us he could be a Giants fan, would you play for your hated enemy or the Pats for instance ?

Or in our case would you love to come and play at the graveyard of the FQB ?

13. jilozzo

shit watching a few of the noted college QB's yesterday leads me to believe that this current group is at least on par with the group that was just drafted. As the season goes on, i have no doubt that the current group will surpass guys like trubinsky and mahomes in the eyes of the NFL.......

for the jets.....we can all get crazy and stuff but at this early stage it doesn't look to be only a 1 or even 2 QB pool. point is we could still draft 3rd and get a guy. whether there is an elway or marino in here we have no idea but i think there will be several QB's taken next april in round 1.

gonna be fascinating to watch play out. saturdays have my football eyes more than sundays i think.

legler82 likes this.
  14. jilozzo

this is SD's 3rd year, first was redshirted. that does matter a bit. i know the number of games started will be lower than other guys but if the performance is there, so be it.

15. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Luck beat the Jets 41-10 had 4 TDs and completed 78% of his passes last year. Just saying.

Jeti likes this.
  16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

There are 2 points to this.

1st, would hating play for a bad team outweigh the max $$ a rookie can possibly make. He worked years and years to achieve this #1 status. Achieved the ultimate goal, but now he'd risk it all because he doesn't like the destination? And show lack of professionalism in the process. If he does it, I'd seriously question his maturity. If he does this, maybe he doesn't deserve 1st overall.

2nd, top pick by definition goes to the worst team. If he is planning to stay in college until a loaded team picks 1st overall - good luck. He'll be the first 40 yo college QB.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, you can win, and get to the playoffs with an above average, or even an average, QB, as long as you have GREAT surrounding pieces. But to win a championship often takes that FQB, that guy who can carry a team on his arm when everything else fails. And it's true that these guys aren;t always the #1 or first round pick, but the odds are higher finding that guy there. All that said, you really need a CS that knows how to use an offense as well as a defense, so IMO the Jets need to start there - getting a good CS, and to get that, they need to hire a Pres. of Football Ops who knows how to hire the guys that will implement his vision. Simply drafting Darnold or Rosen or Whoever isn't going to save this team. That said, I would love it if they were able to get a QB of that caliber. After all, the Broncos didn't have much to support Elway when he started, but they got there.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Hey Darnold is on the Jameis tier. Below Luck as a prospect. Once he cleans up the funky release and gets some pro coaching he'll be fine. However if he comes here we have to have a QB guy running the team.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Rosen would be decent on this roster with an improved offensive line. Next draft, get the q.b and fix the line and the Jets will be competitive.

This line of thinking would allow us to stick with the current regime and perhaps they could very well improve, since they have a qb, but Mac has to go out there and fix the offensive line. Bowles and Mac won 10 games when this team had talent.

Jets will never get a pres of football operations so we can just nip that idea in the butt right away. Time to be more realistic on that regard.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

TBF you answered the one's and two's with answers that don't really go with my scenarios in the slightest ?

I asked would you want to play for a hated rival, not a bad team, (undoubtedly the number one pick is a bad team but they may well be bad and a hated rival), surely they follow football the same as us, so like I said would you put all that aside to play for the Pats or the Giants being a Jet at heart ?

I myself, wouldn't fancy that much.

As for professionalism or lack of, do you hold Manning in this regard also ?

The second point I made was about signing for us knowing full well that it is a FQB's graveyard and was meant to be a light hearted comment fellow Jets fans may well nod their head at and go "yup".