Darnold Speaks Out on Gase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Jan 10, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's a Manish Mehta article (and I'm not providing the link, he isn't getting more clicks on my watch), but it does have quotes from Darnold about the Gase hire. Darnold seems excited about Gase as coach, so aside from cracking jokes, I'm not going to waste too much more time and energy complaining. At least not until the season starts. Mods, feel free to merge this thread eventually. Or we can devote it specifically to talking about the Gase-Darnold relationship and how Darnold will fit into Gase's system.

Sam Darnold opens up to News about new Jets coach Adam Gase: 'I’m super pumped… and stoked. I think we can take this a long way'

By MANISH MEHTA

JAN 10, 2019 | 2:25 PM

Adam Gase’s message to Sam Darnold after he became the new Jets head coach was simple and pure: Let’s get after it and have some fun.

Gase will have the enormous responsibility of developing Darnold, who had flashes of brilliance in his rookie season.

The promising quarterback is all-in with his new coach.

“I couldn’t be more excited about this, to be honest with you,” Darnold told the Daily News Thursday. “I’m really pumped about this opportunity to be with Coach Gase…. with his mind and ability to lead a team. He’s a good dude. The excitement and the passion that he has for the game is very contagious. I think that will rub off on a lot of the guys…. I’m super pumped about this whole thing and couldn’t be more stoked for the opportunity.”

Darnold and Gase spoke via phone during the hiring process before touching base after Christopher Johnson and Mike Maccagnan pegged the former Dolphins head coach to take over. Gase, who is expected to be formally introduced on Friday, has the goods to unlock of Darnold’s gifts.

The coach’s passion should bring out the best in Darnold, who gave everyone a window into his future with a terrific final month of his first season.

“He’s very fiery,” Darnold said of Gase. “I love that about him. I love the passion that he brings. At the same time, I’m going to be me. He’ll just bring a certain attitude to this team that we need. I’m really looking forward to hearing his ideas and what he thinks might work best, what he thinks I do well, what we want to utilize in terms of running an offense. I’m really looking forward to some of the conversations that I have with him about that.”

Gang Green’s search was centered on finding the right person to help take Darnold, who spoke to some candidates during the process, to the next level.

The Jets made a smart choice with Gase, who has done good work with quarterbacks in his career. Whether it was re-designing the Broncos offense on the fly to accentuate Tim Tebow’s strengths during a 2011 playoff run or helping the typically erratic Jay Cutler have his most efficient season as a pro, Gase knows what he’s doing. Gase was helped Peyton Manning’s late-career renaissance that produced a record-breaking offense that made buoyed the Broncos to the Super Bowl.

“Coach Gase has done amazing things not with just quarterbacks, but offenses in general,” Darnold said. “I think we can take this a long way. There’s a lot to be excited about. There’s a lot of points that are going to be scored. It’s about meshing together as a team and seeing Coach Gase being able to see some of the weapons that we have and how he can use them. For me, it’s just about delivering the ball on time and with accuracy.”

“He’s also a great quarterback teacher,” Darnold continued. “You look at the past. He was a huge part of Peyton Manning’s success in Denver when Peyton broke all those records. So, I’m really looking forward to working with him and seeing the creativity that he has for offense.”

Darnold, who finished with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 13 games, believes that Gase will inject life into Gang Green’s offense.

“The reason that I’m so pumped is that I know -- and I’m confident -- that we’re going to score a lot of points,” Darnold said. “And at the end of the day, that’s how you win games. Obviously, people say offense wins games, defenses win championships. But I think at the end of the day, if you score more points than the other team, you’re going to win.”

“I know we’re going to be great defensively,” Darnold continued. “We have pieces on defense that are going to be able to stop the run and stop them from going over the top. So as long as we do that and score more points, we’ll be alright.”

Darnold is all-in with a guy that he thinks will propel the Jets during this critical juncture.

“His mind for football and offense in general is amazing,” Darnold said. “I still have a lot to learn.… I felt like I learned a ton and I feel I’m just going to continue to grow especially with Adam…. I have the utmost confidence in myself to be able to grow as a player. I have the utmost confidence in this team to be able to grow as a unit and to see how far we can take this thing.”

“It’s going to be really fun,” Darnold added. “There’s a lot of room for our team to grow, which is a good thing. There’s a lot of opportunity to be had. We have a lot of weapons that we’re going to be able to utilize. It’ll be really fun to be able to utilize them in ways that people not have really seen before. I think that’s something to look forward to if you’re Jets fan.”

Darnold sees something great on the horizon with his new coach.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He's 21.. Of course he thinks the sky is the limit. Its all upside for Darnold. Just think, we're gonna have at least one year if not two of Mehta blowing Gase on Mondays..

#canwait

NYJetsO12, Brook!, apjbfc and 4 others like this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Why would anyone think the QB of the team would know more than the fans??

FlaJet, Sam Hammer and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why would anyone think a guy who never played college football wold know more than those who have?

barfolomew likes this.
  5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think it's great that Darnold feels this way. He may be right, he may be wrong, but it wouldn't be good if he was dreading working with the new coach. He'll just have to see what happens, as will we all.

But is there anyone who thinks that this isn't a good thing?

NYJetsO12 and Snatch Catch like this.
  6. Cman68

Didn't Darnold rave about Bates too?

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I think it was def the other way around

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I hope they keep mccown. Sort of a translator for darnold as he learns the offense

9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Glad to see he is fired up. One thing that Gase has proven, is that he tailors the offense to the players he has. He was responsible for Tebow's brief success and he adjusted that offense to suit his abilities.

Say what you want about Manning's greatness and not needing Gase to be great...Gase and Manning designed that offense to make up for his arm losing some of the power he had, had earlier in his career. Manning also demanded a lot mentally of Gase and apparently Gase was the best OC he ever had.

Gase also helped Cutler to cut back on throwing as many INT's. (He was a INT beast)

Tannehill is the one QB I think that we didn't really get to see benefit from Gase because the dude was injured more often than healthy.

Time will tell on Gase. I don't think we all have to love the hiring for Gase to workout. We will all be rooting for him to do so.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Cman68

I think you're right.. I thought Darnold did the gushing but it was Bates.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think he's "pumped".

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Poor Sam. So young, so driven. He’s stuck here.

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

One thing about Gase is that they say his all football all the time mentality rubs some guys the wrong way. Darnold seems to be an all football all the time type of guy, so maybe this will work.

14. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

correct. Said he was a master.

Sec124DieHard, HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

What does John B think about this?

bicketybam likes this.
  16. Cman68

Ok.. so I'm not going senile yet. :)

17. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I like Sam but he would say this publicly about any coached hired. I don't think this is particularly revealing.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is there a single word in the entire article that you would not expect these guys to say at this time?

No thread required.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

It is an open message board. Don't want to read it? Don't open it. Pretty simple man.

bicketybam likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nothing about it is exclusive of the Gase thread. Simple man.