Darnold, Rosen or Allen our future franchise QB?!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, May 3, 2017.

1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'll believe Hackenberg sucks when I see him suck. I know he was a top HS when he went to Penn State, and I know he had moments of greatness until they changed the offense. Since then, all I know is the knocks we've heard all last season despite him not playing. So, if he can somehow win 7 games with this roster next year, things might not be as bad as they seem. Who says any of those other three could do that? We are a little early in calling all three "Franchise"

FJF likes this.
  2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Remember when they said that Michigan State QB Chris Cook had a chance to go top pick the year after he decided to pass on the draft?

No one even knows where that guy plays now...Lets wait for the college football to play out

JetsFan and ctjetsguy like this.
  3. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

He shit the bed for the Raiders in the playoffs after Carr went down.

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The first thing I think of when Jets fans bitch about O'Brien over Marino is Todd Blackledge. Chiefs picked him over Marino, Jim Kelly, O'Brien, and Tony Eason.

JetsFan likes this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

Roll the dice, K'OB. One careless play call, or diminished effort, maybe your HOF QB gets Namath Knees and you lose 6 years off the end of his career. Then again, he could get Theisman femur on a perfect play call going for a win. Roll the dice as you see fit.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rosen is the guy with huge potential. However he got hurt last year and I want to see him throw with the same effortless motion he was throwing with before the injury.

He reminds me of the film of the early Namath, just dropping back and slinging the ball with a fast release, excellent velocity and generally right on the money. He throws 20 yard passes that look like darts in tight coverage.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Falk's demeanor and movement in the pocket reminds a lot of Tom Brady.

JetsFan and HAYN like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why do people keep accusing me of wanting to pick a QB with the tanked number 1 pick :confused:

Is this what you meant ? I may have read you wrong ?

I am an advocate for trading back with a top deal, that enables us to have at least two picks in round 1 and a further round 1 in 19, if possible admittedly being English the draft etiquette passes me by somewhat but I live in hope.

9. There are at least 5-6 QBs who are going into this season w. hopes of cementing themselves as 1st round possibilities..and there are a handful of others who aren't even being talked about w. a chance.

2018 could be 1982 all over again...the Jets should either be bringing in a well regarded consultant or special project scout to solely fixate on the QB position at the college level. Not only to make sure the team is targeting to correct guys...but also to have a firm understanding of the entire QB class & how it could affect the big board come next April. W. where this team is at & the resources at their disposal their is absolutely no excuse for them not to have an advanced understanding of the QB landscape heading into 2018.

That said...this does beg the question:

We've seen a surplus of skill players on both sides of the ball flood draft classes over the last few years. So much so...it's not unreasonable to believe a team can get a quality play making WR to fit any scheme through early day 3 of any given draft. My point being....is QB the next position to join this surplus? On all levels the game has become based so much on passing...youth/HS/College coaches are putting their "Alpha dogs" at QB if at any way feasible..and then using the spread to create space to allow the QB to utilize their strengths..the more top end athletes playing the position...and more opportunity for them to develop/showcase their talent...are we looking at QB inflation???

Is 2018 just the beginning? And if so...does that affect how we view this upcoming QB class as well as other positions?

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

An absolute dream scenario would be Hackenberg looking really good, but the Jets still finishing with the top pick in the draft, then trading it for a haul of high picks and stocking the roster with great talent. I don't think anything that perfect could happen, but hope is pretty much all I have left after 33 seasons of following this team.

Imagesrdecieving and K'OB like this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

You read me wrong. I was pointing out that by playing too conservatively, or by making an inappropriate substitution in the course of tanking, you might get the QB hurt. In this hypothetical, the QB is not only a franchise QB, but a future HOFer, so risking injury to that guy almost certainly outweighs the benefits of the top pick, even if it multiplied by trading down. The counter to that being that there is some level of risk on any play, so is the risk really increased that much? Who is to say?

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

If so it would be a really radical change. At the moment there aren't enough decent quarterbacks to give 32 teams a good one each, which is absolutely crazy when you consider how the game is skewed towards the passing game and how many kids are playing the position. Are there really only six or so really good quarterbacks in the entire nation? And another 10 or so good ones, followed by a few solid players and then dross?

I would love it if a steady stream of quality QBs started coming out. It would change the NFL entirely and other positions would start to become more relevant again. At the moment, it's either have a great QB or forget about it.

13. K'OB

I didn't think we had overly many choices to make these subs with tbh

Still we could do without the kind of hit Petty took last season :eek:

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. K'OB

My exact sentiments, Hack to play well in defeat, showing muchos promise and then we can go onto select several studs in the draft lol

Hopes and dreams :)

15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Rosen and Falk are my 2 favorites. We'll see about that Darnold hype as people start to analyze that absurd throwing motion closer to his draft day.

16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

yea - first professional start on the road at one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL AND a playoff game to boot.

No pressure on the kid.

Freddy Mondo and PulseJet like this.
  17. Changes are definitely around the corner 1 way or another. That said..the landscape definitely suggests that a "Franchise QB" is about to take on a new meaning...not entirely clear on what exactly that new meaning will entail...but things are a'changin.

If the QB surplus theory holds true...chances are a starting level competent QB will be alot less elusive.but there will still likely be 5-6 a cut above the rest.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Christian Hackenberg has never started an NFL game, and the draft was concluded just days ago...

Yet there are people actually condoning and participating in this conversation like it's not asinine. *shakes head*

19. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Nothing is guaranteed tank or no tank

But I'd rather go 1-15 twice and win 3 Super Bowls in 10 years than go 8-8 for 30 straight years

20. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Thanks... I was going to say the same thing.

Peebag likes this.