D-Day

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Jun 7, 2017.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

On a different note, but saw the plane pic and it reminded me of my great uncle. He was in the Pacific Theatre during WW II, his plane, a B-25, went down over the Finisterre Mountains of New Guinea.

The wreckage was lost for over 50 years until Alfred Hagen tracked down the wreckage from a helicopter in 1998, it took a few more years for anyone to get to the wreckage as it was so remote. They were able to get some bone fragments to identify who was on the plane.

It took a few years for DNA testing to be done to confirm, but in 2004 the department of the Army flew the entire family, down to great great grand nieces and nephews from all 7 families of the airmen and passengers on the plane, up to Arlington for the interment. I just tried to put the feeling of those few days at Arlington in a couple of sentences but just can't.

I wasn't sure about taking pictures at the interment but figured there was press there so I wouldn't be the only one.
    [​IMG]

Brook! and jetophile like this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Wow, that's somethin'. Blessings to him and to all of the other airmen for their sacrifice (what an understatement), and also to your family and theirs. It's very humbling to say the least. Wish I could give more than one like.

Brook! and The Waterboy like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I saw several documentaries on this and was amazed how many of our troops died before they got to the beach from drowning. They were weighed down so heavily with gear that a lot of them simply sank like rocks. Rommel had his army dug in and if it wasn't for the ignorance of Hitler not transferring troops and Panzers from Calais to Normandy, the invasion in all likely hood would have failed. FWIW, Rommel was never a member of the Nazi Party and is one of my favorite Generals.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Brook! likes this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Kurds in Iraq and Syria aren’t getting along. Kurds in Syria are considered terrorist by Turkey. USA backs the Kurds in Syria big time against ISIS. I see this a chance for Kurds in Iraq and Syria join forces. Not sure but maybe USA is aiming the same?

If Kurds in Syria and Iraq join forces a big Kurdish region will be formed from northern Iraq to Mediterranean. Right now having access to Mediterranean sea is a life or death matter.

Now please note Kurds in Syria opposed refernadum in Iraq for freedom. They said let’s wait the right time and combine Iraqi Kurdistan and Syrian Kurdistan. But Kurds in Iraq said we don’t want to cooperate with you and declared independence. I hope this provides some perspective

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am literally crying. USA fucked Kurds one more time. Hashd al-Shaabi is ISIS's Shiite version by the way. ISIS is Sunni and Hashd al-Shaabi is Shia.

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

June 6th, 1944

[​IMG]

FJF and matt robinson 17 like this.