Cutting the Cord

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Waterboy, May 17, 2014.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

You have to pay for HBO and Showtime through your cable provider then log in into your cable provider through the app to get shows on HBO and Showtime. HBOGO and Showtime to my knowledge are the only sites that carry new episodes of their show.

Roku or another device as this is still valuable with HBO and Showtime subscription because sometimes the On Demand feature through your TV doesn't carry all their old shows or all the seasons/episodes of a show. HBO and Showtime will have the back catalog and new episodes sometimes come up with 5-10 minutes of the show airing on HBO

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez i thought somebody just gave birth....

mute likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

When I first saw the title, I thought it was about somebody moving out of their parents' basement.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Actually close, youngest and last of 3 finally out of HS and heading off to college. She decided she wanted to go to Louisiana though so just looking to cut more costs since it is going to cost me more. I get a little break as she is getting an apartment with her boyfriend and he has his stipend from his scholarship but not enough of a break.

Of course I had to come to terms with the living with the boyfriend thing first but she already had my ex and her boyfriends mother on her side before she told me so I was a bit out numbered, just have to deal with her growing up.

I'm never moving out.

Brook! and abyzmul like this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Dish Network.

Harry Banus likes this.
  6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Speaking of shows, I never watched Lost when it was on. I just started on Netflix on Saturday. I'm on episode 21 in season 1.

So far, excellent show! Very entertaining. I never thought I would like it when it first came out so I never watched it. Man was I wrongl

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I hate Comcast.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

TV in general is such a ripoff. They need to add in customizable packages. For example you pay X rate for X amount of channels, in which you can choose any non premium channels you want instead of being forced to upgrade your entire package because you want one channel like NFL Network while you are forced to have hundreds of channels you never watch. Right now they are royally ripping people off considering cable used to cost less than 20 bucks for 50 channels. I recently downgraded my Optimum package to the basic and added the faster internet in its place. Still a royal ripoff. I'm considering canceling the TV and using torrent, but I love the HD football games.

Torrent + Peerblock + thepiratebay.se should be all you need.

#28 Barcs, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  9. mute

mute Well-Known Member

NFL is on national tv though. CBS, FOX, NBC. Everyone gets that for FREE and in better quality. NBA, playoffs and Finals on ABC. YES, I dont know whats so special but I guess its Yankee baseball? You get some Yankee baseball on MY9, same with NETS games. Golf....

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Lost is still one of my favorite shows of all time. The writing and character development are top notch. In fact I have yet to see another show anywhere that rivals Lost in character development. Not a single one.

11. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Just got the Amazon Fire TV stick and the picture quality is fantastic! You can even play games on it and it comes with a remote. Cheaper than roku and five dollars more than chromecast . If you're a prime member this is a must own. Netflix and hulu are also there. Hbo go coming in two months if you are down with that.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just bumping this to see if there are any other streaming services that people are using that they like. I have cut my Directv to the lowest tier, still too much money for my liking but soon will be completely done with it. Shaved about $92 off my monthly bill and added Netflix and Amazon Instant Video for about $17.50.

Figure on adding Hulu Plus and maybe one more service for another few bucks and then canceling Directv altogether. Bringing my cost down from over $150 to around $35. I know I will be watching some shows a little after the air date but I usually record and sometimes don't watch for a week or so anyway.

Any other recommendations for streaming services?

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I cancelled directv about four months ago and replaced it with appletv and Netflix. But I also use my mothers cable account to login to espn, NBCsn and the other apps.

That covers me for hockey and MNF, and I still get the regular games on broadcast for football.

So far it has been great; I'll never sign up for another cable or satellite service again.

14. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Sling TV has ESPN. Cancel at anytime.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

15. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Or until your mom doesn't have tv service anymore.

16. JetBlue

I'm sure when she's dead and gone not using her cable login will be the least of the disappointment.

Brook! likes this.
  17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Obviously. Sorry if that seemed like bad taste.

Brook! likes this.
  18. JetBlue

Not at all, I was just being ridiculous with the obvious.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Losing your mom is horrible. Although I was living away from my mom since I was 14 years old, I cried like a baby when I lost her when I was 32 years old.

I couldn't shake it off for 3 months and I drank a lot to overcome her death.

Unnecesary information on my part but it is what it is.

Fuck Cosby the rapist. Piece of shit human being. But on the other hand, I wish a beautiful girl raped me at some point. Is it event possible?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Comcast has a TV streaming package for cord cutters and I can’t stop laughing at how bad it is

[​IMG]
    Comcast knows that kids these days love their hippity-hop and their crazy smartyphones. It also knows that they love cord cutting, a newfangled way of watching TV that doesn’t involve forking over hundreds of dollars every month for a cable package. To show the world that it’s just as hip as Netflix, Comcast has unveiled a new TV streaming package called Stream that costs $15 per month and is also nearly pointless. We’ll explain why below.

OK, so: For $15 a month, Comcast will let you stream all the major broadcast networks and HBO over your computer, tablet, smartphone, etc. But there’s an important catch here: You’ll only be able to stream live TV while you’re connected to your home Wi-Fi network.

Now, let’s think about this: Why would you want to live stream network TV in your home? If you’re in your house and you want to watch a network TV program live, you can get it by flipping on your TV and having your antenna deliver the signal… for free. And when it comes to streaming HBO, you can pay $15 per month for HBO Now and get access to it everywhere, not just within your house. So from a cord cutter’s perspective, Comcast is charging $15 per month for a less desirable version of HBO Now.

Sure, there are other benefits as well — Comcast says the package also “includes thousands of on demand movies and shows to watch home or away and even comes with access to TV Everywhere and a cloud DVR so you can record all your favorites and watch them later.” But let’s be real: Any cord cutter who just wants basic TV and HBO is much more likely to use a digital antenna to get access to basic TV and then pay HBO $15 a month for HBO Now.

We do applaud Comcast for at least acknowledging that cord cutting is a legitimate trend these days, of course. But if it actually wants to win cord cutters’ money, it will have to seriously step up its game.

Related stories
    This Is What Life Might Be Like Without Broadband Monopolies
    Bullet Dodged: Bloomberg Reports Comcast Not Interested in Buying T-Mobile
    Worst Idea Ever: Deutsche Telekom in Talks to Sell T-Mobile to Comcast
    More from BGR: Huge trailer leak: Watch the first ‘Suicide Squad’ teaser right here

This article was originally published on BGR.com