Could The Jets Go From Worst To First In 2019?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 4, 2019.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Usually (but not always...see 1-15 Dolphins) when a team goes from last to first, that last place finish was often due to a rash of injuries.... I do expect a big improvement next season, but view 2020 as a realistic possibilty

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

2020/21 is more realistic. Sam would be in his 3rd season and at the rate he's progressing, should be in the elite category by then. Hopefully, the oline would have been revamped and an effecting blocking scheme implemented. The Wr Corps should have been reinforced with a true #1 or at the very least, a second burner to make OC's worry about how to cover both RA and the New Guy. Hopefully a new DC will be in place by then that is a quantum leap over Bowles/Rodgers. All of this takes time to install and get running successfully.

Of course, it all comes down to "The Hire"...

Chris and Macc CANNOT FUCK THIS UP!

3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Well that is possible since the Jets only need help in 3 areas, offense, defense and special teams. : )

While Darnold got better rest Of the offense didn’t. Defense were a big disappointment. It’s one thing to have one area that we are just a player or two away to be on top but we have too many holes. A lot has to happen to gel for Mac and the CS.

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I mean they can be good next year too. Jets fans just don’t expect it because our franchise is terrible.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. Cman68

Agreed... But the OP asked "worst to first in 2019" and my opinion stands... Not a chance in Hell. Not saying no hope, just not 2019.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

This team is a long, long way off from mediocrity, let alone respectable football. There definitely won't be any last-to-first jump for this bunch next year. Another last-place finish is most likely in the cards, with perhaps the chance to climb out of the cellar into 3rd arriving in 2020, depending on whether or not Mac figures out this draft thing.

JetsNation06 and Cman68 like this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

All we have to do is replace two guards, a center, add explosive playmakers to offense, add a pass rush and some cornerbacks to the defense ... it’s an easy short term fix right?

JetsNation06 likes this.
  8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

True we need players but don't overlook the difference the right coach and scheme can make. I wouldn't say worst to first but there could be a big turn around. We under achieved this year.. I can see 9-10 wins if everything goes right (spoiler: it won't).

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

That's just crazy talk!

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There are many factors. It is not as far-fetched as some may think.

1. The rest of the AFC East is nothing special. The Bills aren't great, the Dolphins aren't great, and the Patriots are depending on a 42 year old to play at an elite level.

2. The Jets will improve with free agency, draft picks, and young players continuing to improve.

3. Coaching will be a big factor for the Jets. Even in 2018, you could argue the Jets could have beat the Browns, Dolphins, Titans, Texans, and Packers with better coaching. That would have improved the record to (9-7). They have to actually hire a good Head Coach to improve the coaching though.

4. Sam Darnold. He could make a huge leap and carry the team to a 9-10 win season. Highly possible.

BudJet and CotcheryFan like this.
  11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Could easily happen if not for TB and BB

But I think you’re too negative on this one

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was so great that I watched it 10 straight times, but it was ruined every time when Brady got up.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

14. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I saw so many holes in this team despite spending huge in some places
    • We don't have a pass rush (even with Leo)
    • We had trouble stopping the run (even with Jamal)
    • We had trouble stopping the pass (even with Jamal)
    • Our LBs are average
    • Our WR corp needs vast improvements
    • We need healthy productive RBs
    • We need at least 3 new competent lineman (including a Center who can actually snap the ball)

We're good at TE, KR,PR,K,S,DT,WR2, and QB but that's about it. Expecting all this to change in one offseason is unreasonable, even with 90 Million. If Le'veon comes here, that takes a big chunk out of the money right away. On top of that we have FAs that we need to retain. We are also missing a 2nd round pick.

I think, with the right moves and HC, we can get to the playoffs next year, but I doubt this team is ready to win a superbowl going into 2019.

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

With God all things are possible. Not.

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

You could say the same about the other teams as well. Looking at the AFCE. NE will still be favored next season but their time is coming to an end. Miami will have a new HC, probably a new QB. They are a team that is in transition. The Jets and Bills are both in the same boat. The Jets will have 100 million in cap space to play with, the Bills around 90. Both have potential franchise QB's to build around. I think NE stays on top for 2019 but the Jets and Bills should be battling for the division maybe as early as 2020. Assuming both teams can build around their QB's

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. jetophile

Shocking they didn't do it then.

18. jetophile

I'll have you know I watched that for 10 straight minutes.

19. jetophile

Here's another for your amusement:

I know I shouldn't laugh, but fck you Wes Welker. The guy narrating it kills me.

20. Cman68

Worst to first... That's quite a leap considering the 2019 schedule. I'm being realistic. Even if TBrady, BB both crash and burn we will still have a new HC (most likely a newbie) who has to put together a new CS which will have to install new systems on both if not all 3 units and do all of this between now and Septermber. That is one very steep hill there. If we're lucky, and we rarely are, we'll get a HC that already knows how to assemble staffs. IMO, it all starts there. Once you get a credible CS in the eyes of the players, then the real work begins.

No way there's enough time in 2019 to go from worst to first no matter who we hire as HC. 2020 is the soonest we return to respectability. I can see us going from worst to mediocre in 2019 and as bad as that sounds, its an improvement of sorts. At least the team won't be in freefall.