Could the Jets be a good team in 2013?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We get Warmack from Alabama, Gio Bernard from UNC and a linebacker that can set the edge, and I see us winning 9 games, if we stay healthy. We just need a good RB that can do it all, a good offensive philosophy and to get younger and a little faster. We can contend, but the ? mark will always be Mark Sanchez. Who can we bring in to compete? I think our best chance to win is still with Mark, not with McElroy. Jason Campbell ehh? Alex Smith? Lolno.

This Jets team was embarrassed and ridiculed on a week to week basis - you don't need much motivation other than that

2. NFL

NFL Active Member

Yeah I posted that on the Nassib thread. It would make no sense at all to get any QB in the first couple rounds where there is so much talent in the positions of need. This is the perfect draft for us where we can get more talented on offense and fill a few needs on defense.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Pace was already highly capable of setting the edge, so getting a new LB to do that won't actually improve the team.

What will improve the team is having a linebacker who can shoot through gaps like a missile exploding out of Rex's ass nearly decapitating opposing QBs before they even realize they are there.

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

He was a major reason for their success, but he didn't do it by himself... They got a lot of production from their rookies and young players too.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sanchez had a terrible Offensive Coordinator (Sparano), No weapons, and Tim Tebow breathing down his neck in 2012. With all of that gone, you can only assume he will be better in 2013. Now, his spirit could be broken and he may never succeed again, but his opportunity should be better in 2013 if he is the starter.

As for the defense, they were #2 against the pass without Revis in 2012, if they trade him they will obviously get something for him that helps the team. I think Bell will be back, but losing Landry hurts, still Rex was able to get to the AFCCG with no quality safeties at all. Also, I just trust a Rex D will be good.

6. 101GangGreen101

Calvin Pace is also likely to get cut. Bryan Thomas is gone. Jets need 2 linebackers. I think a cover linebacker is important here as well. You are saying we need another ILB. Harris and Davis not good enough? I made a thread about Rolando McClain before. Davis Harris could take on that missile role that Bart once had.

7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Yes, they were #2 against the pass but keep in mind we had some trouble stopping the run at the times and our offense didnt put teams in a position to need to toss it up too much.

As for Sanchez, no he was never very good even when he did have weapons.

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Anything could happen. The players we are getting rid of aren't exactly top tier players so replacing them can't hurt too much. Main obstacles will be Sanchez, whether our offensive line shows up, and whether our WRs are able to get open and not drop every pass.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Absolutely they can be competitive. It all depends on this offseason and they can go a lot of ways. I just hope they actually pick a direction: win now or rebuild. This kind of tread water approach sucks.

10. 101GangGreen101

Tell me he wasn't good enough for us to win a SB in 2010-2011? I mean now that version of Mark is long gone, but at one point he had every Jet fan believing we could win the SB that year. If anyone disagrees on that, they are lying in my opinion.

11. The Dark Knight

I remember when the Jets made it 24-19 in Pittsburgh, I knew that the Jets offense was on fire and just needed the ball back to get the lead and the win. Unfortunately, Big Ben and the Steelers were able to run the clock out.

12. Mach II

Mach II New Member

We will improve. How much depends on how well Rex and the GM handle the roster obviously. Mark has to get back to being a solid QB. The team can't depend on him
    to carry the load because he can't as we have seen. I still hold out hope he can pick up his game again.

13. 101GangGreen101

Yeah either that, or the tipped play(s) during the Steelers goal-line stand. Damnit, we convert that and we go to the SB, and IMO beat the Packers. Hell every team we lost to we were getting revenge on them (Colts, Patriots).

Still hurts me soul ...

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I'm going to give a good example....

Herm gets fired after Penny gets injured. Mangini comes in, inheriting a 10 win team, wins 10.....and gets labeled Mangenious.

With MM and the cast As it now stands, this team can win 11 and. Hallenve for the division, and a bye and a home game.

To deny the rash of injuries at skill positions that hoped create this year collapse, is daft.

Hill will be a year better, stretching the field. Opening up Holmes,Kerley,and Cumberland underneath....and it would not be unreasonable to surmise that under a WCO coach, McKnight might see more time.

It makes the draft interesting though....

But with a PROVEN OC this cast is good enough to complement the defense to 11 or 12.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

That's great...It's also long gone and we have no rings to show for it.

16. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i think this team can definitely be good. maybe not great. but the defense was good last season and there's a good possibility they'll be good again in 2013. the offense...well...anything can happen. i will do what i did last season...give 'em a shot. watch the games and hope they effing win. what else can i do?

17. The Dark Knight

Definitely. That is why I made this thread though, because people keep saying 2013 will be a waste and the team will be (4-12) to (8-8) at best. The truth is, the NFL is very unpredictable and the Jets were flat out terrible in 2012 and won 6 games. Heck, they were pretty bad in 2011 and won 8. I think they are heading in the right direction too. What is the saying? Addition by subtraction? I think that plays here.

18. 101GangGreen101

Obviously. Well as long as you are agreeing at one point he had the ability help us win a SB, then that is fine. It's the next guys turn now, I agree with that. Wasn't he your avatar for some time?

19. odessa

odessa Banned

I could see the Jets competing. The defense will be fine, even without Laron and Revis. I think with some solid drafting and some cheap free agents our offense will at least be functional. We will have a solid play caller, so that will almost automatically make us better. If we are stuck with Sanchez, well hopefully Marty can at least make him serviceable.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

We need ANY LB so long as they can get to the quarterback. We don't have nearly the pass rushing presence necessary. Harris is fine. Davis is versatile and can be bumped outside if we get another quality inside guy.

McClain is a pipe dream. The Jets are going to avoid spending money this offseason. Only way they spend big bucks is if they can get a difference maker on offense. Defense needs a pass rusher in the worst way but at least the defense as a whole is a functioning unit. The offense is turd city.