Could Rodgers become available?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by TonyFtLaud, Dec 24, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago Aaron Rodgers returned to lead the Green Bay Packers against Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers. Rodgers’ return signaled a final shot for Green Bay to make a playoff push, but after a loss, the team decided to place its star quarterback on the injured reserve list.

According to Adam Schefter, the move made many teams around the league unhappy.

Schefter explains why here:

NFL rules stipulate that a player needs to have suffered a new injury that would sideline him at least six weeks to be placed on injured reserve. If that is not the case, the team is obligated to release the player once he is healthy.

Unless Rodgers suffered a new injury in the game against Carolina, the Packers, by rule, should have to release him.

Will that happen? No, which is why teams are upset. They want to know why Green Bay was granted immunity from the rule in this case.

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Interesting. I was reading about it. It probably won't amount to anything, but I would like to see how it'll be addressed.

3. TonyFtLaud

I am guessing a large fine and a lost draft pick.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

A Catfish Hunter-type situation, but since the violation was against the league rather than the player I'm sure he won't be granted free agency - just a fine and maybe a lost draft pick, as Tony said.

5. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

What if Green Bay argues that Rodgers either aggravated his present injury or sustained a new injury?

6. TonyFtLaud

reaggravation of his recent injury would be a direct rules violation. That is what is in Question. That's how the Packers reported the injury.
    Claiming a new injury is what I expect the Packers to do. It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Brett Favre 2.0 ..coming to the Jets?

Here we go again ..looks like Heaven but with no draft pick it's the Road to Perdition

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As said above, nothing will happen of any true consequence but I can't wait to see how the NFL squirms out of this. They either have a rule or they don't and do they drop the rule because the first time it needs to be enforced it's Aaron Rodgers?

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Even if Rodgers was released why would he willingly leave Green Bay?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rodgers isn't going to be released. The only way that would happen is if he went to an arbitrator and demanded his release. The NFL isn't going to deprive one of it's marquee franchises of their most recognizable player over a technicality. Not when it is clear that Rodgers should have been on IR all along.

If he came to the Jets it would require a reinvestment on the OL and WR's to work out. Rodgers works best with big physical receivers with excellent hands. He throws a very hard ball and he makes a lot of contested throws high.

11. TonyFtLaud

He would never get past the Browns who would have first rights.
    He isn't going anywhere, but I'm very interested in seeing how the league handles this. Expect an announcement at 459 pm Friday before the Superbowl so it's lost amongst the big game hype.

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Not a snowball's chance in he11.

13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Tony, the Packers claim that the league approved the transaction so therefore it is legitimate.

I am by no means an expert in this area, but it is my understanding that the NFL's management council must approve all transactions before they are finalized, so any issues with the process should have been brought up when the Packers submitted the move to place Rodgers on injured reserve.

I could see a rule change here because of this situation and various teams complaining.

14. TonyFtLaud

It's not that uncommon, but it's never been with such a high profile player.
    I'm sure there will be a change to the rules. The only question is, What major (6 weeks or longer) injury did the Packers report As reason for the second time on the IR.

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The Packers are claiming that the second “new” injury arose when the drone hit his trucks windshield.