Coples stinks as LB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 22, 2015.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The one silver lining I expected when Rex was fired was that his ridiculous decision to move 290 lb. Q. Coples to OLB would surely be reversed by the new coach. I was wrong. On the very first series last night, "linebacker" Coples is burned for 60 yards by Falcons FULLBACK Mooney. Can you imagine what would happen if he had to cover a halfback or tight end with some speed? Wake up Bowles! Then, a few plays later Coples takes a terrible angle to the ballcarrier and the halfback goes right past him for the game's first TD. Coples belongs on the DL as does any other 290 lb. player who has played DL his whole life. Didn't Bowles watch any tape from last year? Is it going to take another whole year of this failed experimenet before someone finally admits that it was a stupid idea? With Richardson, Wilk, Williams, and Coples, all first round picks themselves, the jets should be playing a 4-3 anyway, but, again, the jets have a history of never matching the system to the personnel that they have, so you see the result.

NYJETS4life24, HAYN, IDFjet and 4 others like this.
  2. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I agree. Coples should be on that front line and put Mauldin in Coples place - that would be something too easy to fix.
    Question is does Bowles see the same things as we see and fixes it or what? I think he does and will do something about it if
    he is what he's cracked up to be.

Just have to wait and see.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He's a better DL than OLB no doubt. I think they just like the big cat better and they want to try and get Coples on the field somehow...

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

5. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

No 3-4 OLB could have made that play. Give credit to Matt Ryan, I thought Coples' coverage was pretty good there. He read the play well, dropped in zone coverage and tried to cover the guy but when you're dropping back and the receiver runs an actual route you have no shot at making a play there because the QB will just lead the receiver and put the ball where it's impossible for you to get it. Great throw, that's all.

That said, Coples is a lineman. I don't think Watt would look any better playing that position, they are just too big and not agile enough. They struggle in space. I wish Bowles would just move him to DE and end this farce. Babin might actually be a better option at OLB and then you have Coples, Snacks and Leonard up front until Mo and Sheldon return. Coples even said he feels like he's a lineman, he feels a lot more comfortable playing DE. Just get it over with already, he'll never be anything special at OLB.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Maybe if JPP looks worse than expected we ship this guy to the Giants for a 3rd rounder or so. Otherwise, I'd actually prefer we just start Mauldin and Pace at the OLBs. Couples can play a hybrid DE role pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IsmokePot likes this.
  7. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I think it's a stretch to say he stinks as a LB after one bad preseason quarter.

I will say this....I don't think he's good in coverage. He's just too slow to cover to do much (as most of the LBs are).

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with you that Coples should not be playing LB, but not that the Jets should be playing a 4-3 D. Who's gonna play LB? Harris could play MLB, but he's really too slo. You'd have to play Davis at MLB, and there's no one to play the two OLB positions.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Team Is old and slow at LB

JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Coples sucks. Period. However, when he actually has to cover someone in coverage, it is just painful.

TNJet, tomdeb and JetsNation06 like this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

And to think we passed on Chandler Jones for Coples. Like I've said for several years, solid run stopper but nothing more. Not a pass rusher and sure as hell not an OLB. If the Jets can get a decent depth LB with speed, or another position of need for him, then you deal him.

NJBeliever likes this.
  12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

No way he sees what you see. He only there at practices everyday all day.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have 4 3T tackles and a NT as their base at this point for a 4-3. That just isn't likely to work unless Williams is fast enough to play the pass-rushing DE from the blindside.

On the bright side they're stacked for 3-4 DE's and 4-3 tackles.

14. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Not sure which was worse; the draft pick itself or the decision to play him at OLB. Rex Ryan was embarrassingly wrong on both calls.
    I would have preferred Melvin Ingram or David DeCastro

tomdeb likes this.
  15. As already stated there isn't an OLB in football who can make that play. Bowles said there was an miscommunication in alignment..clearly that was the case. No OLB outside of perhaps Derrick Brooks is covering any skill player 30 yards up the seam.
    That said I really believe he's best suited for some sort of DL role. No doubt Bowles will be using his length to create space on blitzes.
    Coples is at OLB b/c he can set a strong edge(which was a problem before him under Rex)& Rex was impatient w/ Coples to develop as a 2 gap DE;Wanted him on the field.
    I think Mauldin should replace Pace, who is still a useful piece but might be more productive in a part time/as needed role. Mauldin doesn't set the edge well quite yet. He's alittle undersized & tends to string plays out rather than properly stack w/ inside leverage.That said he brings a speed & tenacity to the field that this defense desperately needs. If you think about it he & Coples would kind of offset one another.You pair them with what the Jets will hopefully have healthy & available on the DL? Look out.

16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I agree he needs to be on the line.....Just rotate him as needed as we will probably play a lot of 4 DL fronts and can keep all the guys fresh

Base 3-4 Defense of Richardson-Snacks-Wilk and LB's Mauldin-Davis-Harris-Pace

Of course guys like Williams and Coples will end up being quasi starters anyway so no need to harp on the base D....Also Babin can rotate at OLB

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

And on the dark side there dead in the water at QB

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Hey Thanks! Let's talk about how our QB's suck for the next 30 pages!

19. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Bruh.

[​IMG]

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is such a terrible take. NO OLB could have defended that??

Coples floated in space and stared at the QB while the FB moved behind him and created an opportunity. Yeah, it was a nice throw and a tight window, but a player that can cover actually tracks the receiver and cuts off that window. Plenty of OLBs could have covered that play, stop wasting people's time with that homer bullshit.

And get back to the one thing you are good at here, cutting and pasting tweets.

BrowningNagle and tomdeb like this.