Considering Adopting a Dog

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Aug 3, 2018.

?

What is a great pet?

1. Dogs, duh, loyal animals

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Cats, clean and unneedy animals

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Well, duh..... Almost EVERY "creature" shows some sort of loyalty to someone that is a "Provider" for them, and that includes humans.
    But like humans, there are smart ones and stupid ones (read some of the posts on this board ;)).... and also different levels of legitimate affection and loyalty than others also

#41 stinkyB, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Brook dogs are way better.

Cat people are weird. I mean I like my cat but seriously I like my miter saw as well about the same. The dogs are a member of the family though.

Cats aren't cleaner either. That's a bunch a bullshit. They piss and shit all over their box, I hope you have a basement or something. Plus their food is gross.

I was never a dog person growing up but they are awesome. Great responsibility for your kids too. My vote is with the kids, but in your situation as described, I would adopt an older dog and not a puppy 1st. Then when you love him, you will want a puppy later

stinkyB likes this.
  3. stinkyB

4. stinkyB

more importantly... what kind of miter saw do you have? I have a 12" DeWalt, works great with a Diablo blade, but I kinda regret being cheap and buying the single bevel vs the double bevel

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

haha.. its a craftsman, 12" double bevel. I don't think they make them new anymore though.. it's older and I got it used.

whoops I mean I "adopted it" from the "shelter"... a.k.a. the secondhand store lol

stinkyB likes this.
  6. stinkyB

Yeah, unfortunately Craftsman has become crapsman.... but their older stuff was great. More dependable than cats for sure

Sam Hammer and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

but those fuckers will eat your god damn plant leaves in the house then proceed to throw them up. Sneaky ass bastards.

but I love cats so get a cat.

FJF likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Let me help,,,,,DO NOT GET FISH !!!! Not 1 or 30 fish , they NEVER die and cleaning the tank is a pain in the arse and IF your kids are anything like mine you will be stuck taking care of it,,,see a 36 gallon tank and years later---ps the last one finally kicked the bucket a few months ago you probably heard me rejoicing and saw me dancing in the streets,,I could not get rid of that damn tank fast enough!!!! BTW for those playing along at home ,I like both cats n dogs

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

This shouldn't be about dog vs. cat because it will always be a subjective war. It's really about what's appropriate to the the situation. At this point, adopt a cactus, have your kids water it once a month, and if see it dies. If it doesn't, then they can have a cat. I adopted an 8 yr. old diabetic cat from a shelter years ago. She was the sweetest creature ever, and I saved her from the chopping block. I also toilet trained her. Yes, she used our toilet. It can be done with a dog like cat who isn't resistant to change. She rarely used the litter box and never missed.

As far as your wife's allergies, there's no guarantee that if you're allergic to cats that you won't be allergic to dogs, and even "hypoallergenic" dogs are not "hypoallergenic". They still 'shed' and in some ways require even higher maintenance. There are wipes and sprays to tone down cat allergies as to dander that you wipe/spray on the cat (I'll remember brand names at 3:00 a.m.), but if you're allergic to the saliva, it won't help. Final answer: adopt a cactus. Cactus makes perfect.

donkey likes this.
  10. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

12. stinkyB

probs for an Iggy Pop reference

Dierking likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Easy... Scoop the Clumping Odor suppressing Litter twice a day. Usually around $8 at Walmart. I would also consider getting a plain old tabby cat. They tend to be healthier and live quite a long time. If you're gonna go with a kitten, get two and preferably from the same litter so they can entertain themselves. Purebreds just seem to have more issues. Maine Coons are huge cats so you might want to pass on them.

Brook! likes this.
  14. Dierking

It it now universally accepted that you can't have an outdoor cat? Cause, I have to say, kitty litter is, and rightfully should be, a complete and total deal breaker.

I've lived in fairly dense urban areas whenever I've had cats, and they always went out and thrived. Most of them had more friends than me. If you can believe that. I've never cleaned a litter box in my life, and would never countenance the prospect.

Dogs are still dumber than a box of rocks.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

dog of choice - boston spaniel. 50/50 mix terrier and cocker spaniel. Best dog i have ever had. low low maintenance, short hair/minimal shed, trainable, healthy.....

really look into this.

cats suck.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I had to give our dog away the other day. Got him as a puppy from the shelter - they told us he was a lab mix. DNA test revealed that was a lie. Half pit, part chow, some other terrier - don't remember.

My brother had a pit that was a great dog until one day it attacked his kid. Got her good too, plastic surgery required. It had started to show some aggressive behavior just prior to the attack. So finding that out was annoying and we had always had a hard rule that the first sign of aggression this dog was gone.

He lunged at one of my kids coming down a slide and snapped like he was trying to bite. Could have been just the dog playing but that was enough for me to see. Gone. I never really cared for the dog too much. He was alright - mostly annoying. Anyway, it felt like real shit giving him away even so.

I'm sure it would have felt a lot worse if he actually got my kid though. No more dogs for me.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Gary Larson really should come back and do one last "Far Side" series! :)

18. Dierking

now if your brothers kid was packing heat this senseless tragedy could’ve been avoided.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Whoa man. Fish tanks are great. Nice and relaxing, no license,no vet bills. I had a 150 gallon for a long time. I would empty and clean it once a year on draft day, when the first round was Saturday. Wife would leave me alone, I’d have the draft on the big screen and make a 2 hour project last all day.

As to the discussion, I agree with notsato on this one. The tail doesn’t wag the dog, don’t let your kids decide to you should get a dog. If I left it up to my girls we would be the Bronx zoo north .

CBG and stinkyB like this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Ahhhh so you live in Florida NY?