Considering Adopting a Dog

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Aug 3, 2018.

?

What is a great pet?

1. Dogs, duh, loyal animals

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Cats, clean and unneedy animals

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

So. Kids are pushing for one. They went to animal shelter today with their friends and forcing us to adopt one. A few problems.

1) Never owned a dog and don’t know how to take care of them.

2) During the day nobody is home.

3) Every summer we go back to Turkey(not this year due to Erdogan) and when we go for a month who will take care of the dog?

Please post your thoughts.

@jetophile - Don’t hijack my thread with your potential dog stories until I get my answers. Lol.

FJF likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

#3 - take the dog to a vet that will house the dog for a fee. Usually its the vet that takes care of the dog regularly so the dog still is around familiar scents and people. Then take your usual vacation without worry.
    #2 - Feed the dog in the evening and walk the dog in the morning. If its a puppy, you're gonna have accidents from time to time. You have to "housebreak" the dog and that takes time, patience and training. Older dogs usually are already housebroken.
    #1 - Do your homework. There a ton of information as to how to take care of any specific breed of dog.

If its a rescue (pound) dog, its already has some imprinting so observe the dog. Try to get an older dog instead of a puppy as they tend to be already trained and are usually grateful for a home. If you're gonna go with a puppy, choose the breed carefully. You don't want a big breed or a tiny one. Purebreds are more expensive and usually have more health issues due to a shallower gene pool. Mix breeds tend to be more calmer, resilient and are much more loyal. Try to get as much history on the dog as you can. If the dog has been abused, find another dog.

I have two rescue cats after my cat of 22 years died last year. Initially I was hesitant about adopting animals. When I got to the York Co. ASPCA, I walked thru and honestly, found the older cat who simply looked like he needed a lucky break. I just wasn't gonna leave him. The kitten came to my local vet after being found with his mom and brother under a porch. He took to me and visa versa. It happens sometimes like that..

Animals need a home and love so you are doing them and yourself a favor by going to a vet. Make sure the dog is neutered too. I adopted a kitten and a mature cat and so far, its worked out well once the kitten got older.

#2 Cman68, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I have plenty of dog stories, but you're asking for advice, so I'll give it. ; )

Big dog person here and an experienced one. I have only ever adopted rescues/shelter dogs, and good on your for not considering going to a breeder and contributing to the euthanasia problem. All I can say is that if you're going to leave a dog crated alone all day without at least two walks and no human contact, expect that dog to be a neurotic, destructive, nervous wreck. You just answered your own question. The answer is no, you shouldn't get a dog.

Wait until your situation changes. Unless you have a trusted neighbor who you can throw some cash to and have them walk the dog and give it some attention and affection while your children are at school and you and your wife are at work, hold off. Dogs need tons of mental, physical, and emotional stimulation and engagement. Having them sit for hours on end in solitary confinement in a crate staring at the wall is not accomplishing that. It's mean.

As far as going to Turkey next year, once your dog feels comfortable and secure, you can always work that part out; but nobody being home all day? You're looking past the most current concern of no-one being around. Get a cat. Most of them don't give a shit whether you live or die, anyway, and are far less emotionally dependent and far easier to take care of as far as kids go. I dig cats and have had some great ones. I favor dogs, but a cat seems like a much better solution. Any other questions, feel free to ask, but also realize that a dog (also a cat) is a life-time commitment, financially and otherwise. Don't ever do it on a whim.

#3 jetophile, Aug 3, 2018
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes go to the Vet and take care of the health but...

Opportunity for your kids to learn some responsibility for something they really wanted and I wouldn't worry about going to Turkey before you see how it's going at home

You don't strike me as someone who spoils the kids but just the same I hope you and your wife are on the same page and ready to give them jobs feeding and walking your new addition

If you end up chief caretaker ..well then it's time to get a cat..lol

Good luck with mans best friend...ruuuuf!!

Brook! likes this.
  5. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Hey Brook I like you, so I really hope I don't come off as an arsehole here, but as a dog owner No.2 is, to me, a major stumbling block. We only have our rescue dog as my wife is home during the day. Before she started working from home we would never have got a dog. Not having someone at home stopped us getting a dog for years. I hope you don't mind the negative comment, but you seem like a good guy, so I thought I should say something.​

jetophile, Brook! and FJF like this.
  6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I've had dogs all my life and from a personal experience viewpoint I don't think that you could go wrong with a poodle. Small ones are easy to care for, don't need too much exercise, are very intelligent and clean and the breed has very few health problems.

I currently have a Standard Poodle - Big Boy - 80lbs plus and needs lots of walks but I'm semi- retired, live in the countryside and he spends little time on his own.

Just make sure you do you homework before you commit and try to find out a little about the dog's life before it got to the shelter if you can. Could save you a lot of problems in the future. Best of luck with your search!

Brook! likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

dogs are awesome. i have 2 myself. it's never a bad idea to get a dog

1) it's pretty simple. if you can raise kids you can take care of a dog lol. just make sure they have food and water. brush them every day or every other day or keep their fur short. baths like once a month or as needed. every 2 months take them to a groomer for a nail clipping. it depends on the breed of dog as well. some are more high maintenance due to their fur and expect fur everywhere if you don't get a non-shedding breed. outside of that and regular vet visits they pretty much take care of themselves. and walks lots of walks

2) it's not a problem depending where you live. If you have a doggy door and back yard they can go outside and poop as long as they are trained. most shelter dogs are older and already trained so not a big worry there

3) hopefully a friend can watch them but if not they have doggy hotels. bets option is getting a friend to take them or house sit but doggy hotels will be fine too if need be

Brook! likes this.
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Your kids are forcing you to do what? Who is in charge? If your kids control you good luck controlling a dog. Hard pass.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Dogs are great but they need attention. You will probably need a dog walker if you can't be home during the day. I'd personally go with a cat.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

just get little dogs. mine have a doggy door and can run around in the yard all day when nobody is home

11. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

get a cat and pay attention to it and you will have a dog that doesn't stink when it gets wet, never needs a bath, wil never beg you to take it for a walk and will shit in a designated area every time. dogs are overrated.

12. Brook!

Thanks guys. I am reading about this extensively.

As many on this board knows, I am a Muslim. In Islam cats are considered clean animals and dogs are not. Our prophet Mohammad had a cat named Muezza. I am a cat person as well but kids want a dog. :(

13. Charlie Kelly

i'm with Satoshi. don't let your kids run your life.

get 2 kittens, male if possible. those kids will melt when they see them no matter if they want dogs. pay all the attention to them that you can. submit them, put them on their backs when they get wild. mush them, love on them, show them affection. they will be just as interactive as any dog would.

and you will never have to give them a bath. ever.

#13 Charlie Kelly, Aug 3, 2018
    Brook! likes this.
  14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Cats are so clean you get to store a box of shitpiss in your house.

FJF, BrowningNagle and Ralebird like this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't know dogs were considered unclean.

But good luck, man. I once had this same debate and ended up going with cats.

You can't really beat a dog's personality, it's great for kids, but cats are just so much easier to take care of. You can leave them for a few days whereas with a dog, you'll need to hire somebody to come at least twice a day to walk him when you're away. On the plus side, they do travel well, so you can take them with you many places, with cats that is near impossible. Dogs are often very loyal and protective as well. You won't have to worry about a burglar if you own a dog, but you may be woken up randomly by barking at night if other animals come near the house.

Charlie Kelly and Brook! like this.
  16. Charlie Kelly

if a drop of water hits a dog, your whole house smells like the ass of a vagrant.

17. Charlie Kelly

really good post

18. Charlie Kelly

OP should start a poll about cats v. dogs

19. Brook!

Okay just did. Wish granted. I am a cat guy but boys want a dog so I will have to go with dogs but I voted cats. Lol

Charlie Kelly likes this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I was gonna wait for you to go there first. Didn't it have to do with their nose or their butt or their saliva?

[​IMG]idn

JetBlue likes this.