Comparing 2017 Jets to 2017 Bears

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kinggofg, Sep 8, 2017.

1. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Both teams sucked last year. Both teams hired sub par bucs cast-offs who will be starting at QB. Bears have an expected to be solid O-line but questionable everything else. Jets have an expected to be solid D-line but questionable everything else. Both coaches and GMs are on the hot seat. Both are rebuilding, shedding old overpaid players for younger hungry talent.

I fully expect both teams to continue their failures this year, but the media seems to be high on the bears and down on the Jets.

Does trading up for a QB pick who won't start really create that much optimism?

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The media is higher on the Bears than the Jets because the Bears are not the Jets. Both teams are in equally awful positions. I would much rather be the team going into a loaded draft class with all their picks and more instead of the team that blew their wad on a guy that wasn't all that good coming out of college.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Bears have a young QB that has looked promising. Young promising QB equals potential for the future. No young promising QB equals rudderless franchise.

4. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

I agree with that but it doesn't explain the media talking 0-16 for Jets and Bears being playoff contenders this year.

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Let's not worry about how good or bad Chicago does. They won't take a qb if they pick earlier in the draft, so who cares. We need to be watching the records of San Francisco, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Jacksonville.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Trubisky looks like the real deal so instantly that sets us back. We aren't competing against the Bears in the QB sweepstakes. We are competing against the 49ers, the Bills, perhaps the Browns, the Jaguars.

7. The Bears. Have a massive media brigade that while critical at the end of the day still wants the team to have success..

The jets have to share their media coverage & a stadium for that matter.At the end of the day does the jets beat want the jets to have success?Im not so sure

Brook! likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We're a mess.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They have a direction and a plan it seems. They found their stud runningback late in the draft, while moving up to get their franchise quarterback (or at least they hope so).

They have also put together a decent offensive line. Cody Whitehair (2nd rounder, 2016), and Charles Leno (7th rounder, 2014) are paired with Kyle Long (Pro-Bowler 3/4 years), Bobby Massie (61 career starts) and Josh Sutton (Pro-Bowler 4 out of previous 5 seasons).

Kevin White was a top 10 pick and they also have two NFL caliber tightends in Dion Sims and Zach Miller. Kendall Wright is an NFL caliber receiver as well even if he isn't a world beater.

There's a lot more talent there and they've placed an emphasis on building around the young quarterback they want to succeed. I expect them to target receivers next year in FA and the draft to really give Trubisky something to work with.

Let the defense come together but make sure you build around the young quarterback. Back when we had Sanchez we did nothing of the sorts.

Their linebackers are solid with Leonard Floyd, Willie Young and Trevathan while they also have three starting NFL corners.

There's a lot more there. We have a decent set of guards on offense and that's about it. We have two young safeties who damn well better be good, shitty linebackers and two good defensive lineman.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kevin White hasn't done anything

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah and he's looked slow as hell from what I've seen. But they're still looking at him as hopefully their #1. I'd imagine they're gonna load up on targets this offseason. There's also a bunch of good tackles (although obviously very early in the draft process).

Potential first round picks for the Bears..

OT Trey Adams
    OT Mike McGlinchey
    OT Connor Williams
    WR Christian Kirk
    WR Calvin Ridley
    WR James Washington
    WR Equanimeous St. Brown
    WR Parris Campbell
    WR Courtland Sutton

These are all rated as first round prospects in the way too early mock drafts. It looks like a damn good year to be in the draft market to build up your supporting offensive cast. The sooner you get the guy you think is the franchise quarterback the sooner you can build the cast around them.

We don't have the quarterback yet so we can't capitalize on the plethora of offensive talent in the first. Hopefully Hansen/Stewart can prove to be adequate 2nd, 3rd or 4th receivers and we can really just be looking for that one stud to be the number one. I hope to god we go offense the first 3-4 rounds this year and try a different approach than fucking defense all year every year.

There's also a generational runningback in Barkley that'll be available. But we can't even think about taking him of course.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets and Bills specifically have stocked up on picks. Good opportunity to slide back into the first and grab the best lineman available. Jets need to grab a QB early and also should be looking at the best available LT and Center.

I mean, if you gave me a choice of what team to build a team right now, I would choose the Jets solely for the fact that the Bears used future picks to go up and grab Mitchell. He did look decent in the preseason, but I think they could've waited and gotten a QB like Kizer who is strong armed, physical and mobile. Jets will be bad this year, they have got 2 2nd rounders and with the early first rounder you take the QB and try and go back into the first to take a good lineman.

Look for the Bills to try and do the same, strong at lineman but man Derwin James from FSU is creeping around, and I would hate to play him twice a year.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I'm not sold on Trubisky because of his potentially weak arm in terms of velocity deeper down the field. But you can't blame
    them for trying to get their guy.

Trubisky reminds me a lot of Sanchez coming out of college because of the fact that he only started one year before shooting up the draft boards.

14. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I think that's got something to do with it, NY media being what it is. Unfortunately the team hasn't done a lot to defeat the constant criticism. For example, Rex was defiant right to the end with the media while all around him was crumbling, fairly inviting them to call him out. And even today, I can't believe Bowles is still in the saddle. Our recent track record on both coaching and player personnel is dreadful.

#14 LarryAlRalph, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

We're also the red-headed stepchild of the state because of the Giants and all their success.

Chicago loves their Bears and loves to see them succeed. New York loves their Giants and loves to see the Jets fail equally.

Whoops, should've quoted you @KurtTheJetsFan

KurtTheJetsFan and LarryAlRalph like this.
  16. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Yes, and the Jets committed the most unpardonable of sins, winning the SB before the Giants did.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

On top of the fact that our quarterback sold his soul to the devil in order to win that game.

LarryAlRalph likes this.