COMP. picks ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Feb 20, 2006.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. The compensatory choices supplement the 223 choices in the seven rounds of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The NFL Management Council developed the formula and not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

They are usually announced near the end of March.

I think the jets will end up with a
    3rd for Lamont, a 4th for Kareem & a 7th for Fergie.

2. Ten

Ten Active Member

We should get a 3rd for Kareem.We didn't sign anyone to replace him,he got a big big contract,started every game(I presume) and the Giants made the playoffs.I'll be pissed if we don't get a 3rd for him,i remember the pats got a ton of good comp picks last year for players who weren't that great.

Lamont is a bit of a pickle,we signed Blaylock to replace him but Jordan actually started.That could be a 4th or a 5th.

I don't think we will get much for Ferg,he got a big contract but he didn't see much playing time in Dallas.

3. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Every year Jet fans are fuming when they see the comp picks awarded to the Jets and blame Tagliabue for hating the Jets. This year will be no different.

4. lightning

lightning Active Member

Well he is a pats fan...

5. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think they may take Blaylock's injury into consideration, Not sure tho.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I have a question brought on from someone on NYSports board...

The Arizona Cardinals let Kyle VandenBosch walk last year...Tennessee signed him for the Veteran Minimum and he puts up 12.5 sacks, Pro-Bowl year and just signed a contract with a $14.5 million signing bonus...

Does Arizona get any Compensatory pick and with those numbers, would it be a 2nd, maybe even 1st round pick?

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Actually McKenzie only started fourteen games which is going to hurt us, and Jordan only started fourteen too.

8. Ten

Ten Active Member

Damn,that could hurt us.Although I'm guessing it was two game he missed with injury as opposed to being dropped from the starting line up.Hopefully the big contract and the fact we didn't replace him will still get us a 3rd.

As for Jordan,It's still 14 more games he started for us so hopefully it won't matter that much.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

The best pick you can get from compensation is a 3rd rounder.

10. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Compensatory draft picks are judged for the most part on the contract the player that leaves signed for. Vandenbosch walked for vet minimum, meaning it wasn't very hard for Arizona to keep him. The fact that he made the probowl will play part of the compensation that Arizona will receive, but again for vet minimum they could have kept him. Also compensatory picks also deal with the net FA losses a team has.