Comment on McCown by Manziel

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 13, 2018.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

We shall see. He has to take the blame for the lack of young offensive talent as well though. Just because Maccagnan is the GM doesn't mean he gets all of the blame. He deserves at least half of it, but Bowles does so as well. He is the Head Coach. He has to take a stand and evaluate and recommend offensive players just as he does with defensive players. If not, he shouldn't be employed as the Head Coach.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bowles is much more conservative about playing young unproven players on offense than defense, This is not surprising given who has been provided to him on the draft. When your 1st round pick is on defense odds are pretty good that guy is going to start for you his rookie season.

We have no idea what he will do if the Jets actually spend a 1st round pick on a QB. My guess is that a guy like Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield or Jackson will win the job in camp and be on the field barring injury. Allen might sit for awhile because Bowles has become used to seeing inaccurate QB's and he clearly doesn't want to play one over the vet.

If the Jets go Round 2 or later on a QB that's when we might have a real problem. McCown could win a competition in camp over a guy like Rudolph or Falk or one of the less known options and play for awhile - maybe the entire season if the Jets are tracking towards 8 wins most of the season.

3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Which group of kids didnt he play, you know now that youve turned it from not playing kids to kids on offense. Not counting the kids he played. LOL RB? Did you miss the rotation? You do understand that young backs have to learn to block, to keep the QB in one piece, right. And QB, seriously? We had a capable, young QB that should have played over McCowan, that was held back because he was young? You just dont play players that dont deserve to play because theyre young and fans who dont get it will whine that you dont like to play young players. Works this way for every NFL HC, not only Bowles, coaches play players that deserve to play. You're trying to win and let your team know youre trying to win.

Noam likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Post more often, you are a breath of fresh air.

Noam, FJF and LF911SC like this.
  5. LF911SC

Hey, better than believing this nonsense where if every position isnt manned by rookies your HC doesnt like kids. And then is accused of being scared. As i said, every single HC operates that way. And every single Jets HC from Parcells to Bowles has been accused of the same thing. Fans want to see rookies, kids play, ready or not, fans dont care. Fans assume that a player they dont have a clue about have Pro Bowl potential, every one of them. When they fail they'll blame the HC. When he waits for them to develop a little more like Shell no one remembers.

When Rex handed the QB job to Sanchez no one complained. When he failed fans cried that he was given the job, didnt have to go out and earn it. Now its full cycle, Bowles didnt hand the job to Hack. Unlike with Sanchez he was in the mix, given every opportunity to show something, anything that would allow you to give him the job but he fell on his face, couldnt come close to winning the job over a journeyman QB. But thats just an example of Bowles playing it scared, not of a kid who wasnt/isnt ready to play. Bowles should risk the Jets record, his job, the lockerroom, the team for fans to feel better for a day. lol, ok

#45 LF911SC, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  6. LF911SC

Thank you, appreciated!

7. LF911SC

QB is a completely different story. Theres a huge learning curve coming from college to the pro game. Thats why a DL can step in easier than a WR who needs almost as much time as a QB to learn. Or a RB. If the Jets were to get a Barkley at 6 he starts from day 1. A QB? Who knows, theres no guarantee that even Darnold or Rosen are ready to start. They might but thats not to say theyre ready or should, where Barkley does.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I agree that QB is a different story, however a top 10 QB who is not on the field day 1 is a story in the making.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. LF911SC

Like Goff?
    Like Trubiski?
    Like Mahomes?

What story is made out of these top 10 drafted QBs? Other than they needed more time than a fans timetable

FJF likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The only case that can be made for a youngster v a veteran would be forte and McGuire other than that, all of the players he had starting were definitely the best option available to him.

LF911SC likes this.
  11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

he played devin smith as soon as he was healthy

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If Jets were to draft Falk, he would win the starting job. His accuracy, quick release and ability to go through progressions are going to be evident to any HC during camp.

13. MurrellMartin

Maybe. Stewart/Hansen should have sat for Jeremy Kerley?

14. MurrellMartin

I never once complained about Sanchez getting the job from Day 1. Sanchez did himself in by not putting the work in to be an all-around QB. He had plenty of time behind a great OL and ground game. The second those weren't great, he failed. He didn't put in the work. He did not learn to look off receivers or check off his main reads. Had nothing to do with Rex Ryan.

If the plan is rebuilding, playing a 38 year old QB last season, no matter how nice he is and how warm he makes Jets fans feel, is just wasting time. Period.

#54 MurrellMartin, Feb 14, 2018
  15. MurrellMartin

I understand the game quite fine, thank you.

He wasted WR snaps on Kerley. He wasted RB snaps on Forte. He wasted QB snaps on McCown. Flashback to 2016 when we were putting a 25% at best Marshall out there every single week, wasting time, not seeing the youngsters on the team. Ditto for Forte back then, too.

The team went 5-11. Are you one of those people who had a parade for this past season just because the media had us at 0-16? I don't care that McCown "gave him the best chance to win" or that he was a team player or that Hackenberg/Petty "weren't ready" if you're rebuilding, you're wasting your time trotting these retreads out there week after week. Play the youth. He clearly wasn't going anywhere whether this team went 0-16 or 5-11.

But keep making excuses for Coach Bowles. I look forward to when he's gone in 1-2 years.

#55 MurrellMartin, Feb 14, 2018
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Wish i could like this post twice!!

Never, and I mean never, hand a player a position he hasn't earned.
    It it's pretty damn obvious that Petty didn't earn the position. Hell it was proven once all the offensive players stats went in the dumps once Petty got the nod. But fans are still complaining that Bowles only played McCown coz he only plays vets?
    I'm not even a Bowles fan, but the argument is ridiculous.

HomeoftheJets, LF911SC and FJF like this.
  17. MurrellMartin

I don't even care that he played McCown more so than he wasted snaps on Jeremy Kerley when you took WR's in the 3rd and 4th round. That we had to continually see Matt Forte fall into the pile for 1-2 yards week after week when Bilal Powell and Elijah McGuire are sitting there on the bench. That's what I'm referring to. Maybe it's a stupid argument. Maybe its not, but I will never, ever understand the logic behind forcing Forte and Kerley into the game over those other options. Ever.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Kerley was playing well. Why wouldn't he play him?
    because he drafted Stewart? I like Stewart but it was obvious he wasn't ready for full time work.

Forte when healthy was also a better option than a 5th round pick who couldn't pass protect.
    I wish they would have used him a receiver more.

It's not like no young guys were out on the field, so I'm not going to gripe about mid round rookies having limited action.

FJF likes this.
  19. MurrellMartin

I understand the whole pass protection thing. On 3rd downs, use Powell. On 1st and 2nd, use Powell and McGuire. Everyone knew we were never throwing the ball on 1st and 10 anyway. 90% of the time it was a hand-off to Forte to fell into the middle of the field for 1-2 yards. We had to keep doing that for 17 weeks? We couldn't give more snaps to McGuire there?

As for Kerley vs. Hansen/Stewart, why not play the young kids over Kerley? Because we were trying to win games? That is such a tired and lame excuse. Put the kids in there and let them try to win the games. All I kept hearing throughout last season was rebuild, rebuild, rebuild... so play the young kids and rebuild. Don't go out there giving away reps to a guy who was never going to be on the team in 2018 and beyond. See what these kids have so you can better evaluate the position going into 2018 and beyond.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kerley got suspended, but even so Stewart and Hansen's reps were already increasing on a weekly basis.

LF911SC likes this.