Combine report....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Trey Ko, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

People are crazy if they're telling me Randy Moss and Braylon Edwards were even in the same class as the likes of Calvin Johnson, in terms of pure prospects out of college. Moss was not that highly touted, he received a lot of attention for his success, but had question marks as to whether he was a system receiver playing for Marshall. Braylon Edwards topped a weak talent class for receivers, in a year when teams were desperate for them.

If you want to talk receiver prospects you have to bring up Andre Johnson as possibly one of the best physical talents ever.

2. JetsLookingforDWare

Is this a joke?

Randy Moss was a 6'4 WR with unbelievable hands, and 4.3 speed. The man was made to be football, and very few doubted it. People were wondering if Moss was the best WR prospect ever.

Whether CJ is in Moss' class as a prospect is a legit debate, he's the closest theres been in a long time.

3. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

by the way calvin johnson decided not to workout at the combine. maybe he didnt want to embarrass all the other players with another 4.33, 45-inch vertical performance :rolleyes: :lol:

4. Pride

Pride New Member

Or maybe he didnt want to cost him self millions. The Bucs Browns toss already did that 4 him:rofl:

5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You are off on Moss, the only reason why people were knocking him at that time was his arrest record otherwise he would have been a top 5 pick at the time

6. Pride

Pride New Member

I was wrong. CJ ran a 4.35 at the combine today, Jason hill we washington state ran a 4.32

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

45-inch vertical? No way. That's out of this world.

8. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

Jason Hill ran a 4.32??? damn, this kid is worth a look at #57

9. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

speed is quite overated as a WR. Yea it helps but he's got to have the hands, the route running ability and the overall physical ability to catch it over the middle to make it to the pros. Who cares if he's fast? He could just be a really fast version of Justin McCareins.

10. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

Braylon Edwards is 6-3 with great hands. He performed great in Michigan, making tough catches over the middle as well as incredibly athletic catches. He holds the Big Ten record in TD catches, most 1,000 yard season and was named the Big Ten Conference MVP. He also performed in the big game, recording three touchdown catches in the Rose Bowl a record. (They only lost because of porous defense and Vince Young). Although he was in a weak draft class, if he were to come out today he would be extremely high in terms of overall value. Maybe not as high as Calvin Johnson because of his physical ability, but definitely in the same class.

11. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

nice research and good point

12. JetFanInPA

There are plenty of teams in demand for a WR, but not many early.

Oakland has a nice set of WRs.
    Detroit has a good starting duo.
    Tampa Bay could use one, but has bigger needs.
    Cleveland has no need for a WR.
    Arizona has the best tandem in the NFL.
    Washington invested a hell of a lot of money into their 3 WRs.

So where does Calvin Johnson go? Does Detroit go with another one at #2? Does Tampa take Calvin Johnson at #4?

13. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I think Tampa takes him or they trade down with a team that really desires him, as he's far and away the best value on the board at that point.

On a side note, if Detroit takes him, they will become even more of a laughing stock than they are now. What would he be, their 4th 1st round WR in the last 5 drafts or something? That's just nuts.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Cleveland might just have the best spot in the draft. That might be the spot where a team will trade into to take CJ ahead of TB. If not TB might be the fastest team ever to the podium with the selection of CJ.

15. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Eh I kinda disagree with you on this.

Who's on Oakland besides Moss (who doesn't ever seem to want to play)? Jerry Porter and Al Davis don't get along and I don't see him playing in silver and black next year.

I'll agree with Detroit. Furrey has proven himself and then there's obviously Roy Williams. They could use a third receiver, but I don't think Calvin Johnson is going to be the pick there (if he's still there after #1).

Tampa Bay definitely could use one like you said, but every team in the bottom 10 has bigger needs than WR. It's just such a crap shoot position. I can see them definitely taking him here though.

I don't know about Cleveland. I didn't see any viable threat on that team this year. Kellen Winslow is the best receiver on that team right now when he's healthy.

Arizona has a very good tandem, but I can't put them above Harrison and Wayne, no way.

All of Washington's WRs suck. Moss is the only one that's shown anything. I thought Lloyd was gonna be good but he was terrible. And Randle El was never good.

16. I see him slipping to Tampa. Tampa's WR corps isnt horrible but isn't great either. You can just picture Gruden Salivating over the prospect of getting CJ.

17. JetFanInPA

Moss and Porter are expected to stay in Oakland. Ronald Curry, Alvis Whitted, Doug Gabriel and Johnny Morant are also there. So WR isn't their concern

Detroit has a great duo.

Cleveland has a hell of a TE, who should be ready for training camp, in Kellen Winslow. Braylon Edwards was a top pick and Juerevicous is a good player.

Tampa Bay has a fast-falling WR in Mike Clayton and an aging one in Joey Galloway (36). They could use him.

Arizona has a great tandem, 2nd best...

Washington blew WAY too much money on the WR corps last season. They need DL help badly...

Unless someone trades up, he's going to Tampa Bay IMO.

18. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Most people think he goes to Tampa which makes a lot of sense.

Cleveland needs a QB, RB and O-line before they can draft a WR. However, talent-wise CJ is probably the #1 player in the draft.

Braylon is good, but has attitude issues, Jerivicius is a no better than a serviceable #3 at this point and Winslow just had microfracture surgery so CLE could take CJ in an upset. Peterson (who just ran a 4.38) is probably the best pick they can make.

#58 BlairThomas#1, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007