Combine report live from Indy....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Trey Ko, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

Sorry that I had gotten to you all so late, but, as you could imagine it's been a mad house!

There was not much going on today; However, there were some interviews that had taken place. As much as I would like to bring the sting of the day, there was not any.

Ted Ginn was here fresh off of coming out of a protective boot (from the foot injury that he had suffered while celebrating in the National Championship game). Ginn thinks that he could be another Devin Hester on special teams and said that "If Devin could do it, so could I".

Joe Thomas, the big LT from Wisconsin spent time talking about how he started off as a D-End in college (as a freshman) and how he cleared 6' in the high jump as a high schooler.

Greg Olsen talked about leaving Miami as a Junior and the fact that he had already had his degree, in addition to playing 3 years of football made his decision easier.

The real fireworks start tomorrow when all of the big boys arrive. I'm sure to have some news for you all tomorrow as I will be out early and often for the ganggreen!!

For those who want to know, I'll be on the radio at 7:20 am eastern time tomorrow Friday in Jacksonville to talk about the draft. Go to www.930thefox.com and listen via streaming audio. Get there early just in case you run into some issues. Also, I'll be on the radio in Gainesville at about 12:25 pm. WBXY; find them and listen live there as well.

Finally, I had spoken to Leon Washington today and I told him about our site and how the members on here really support him. He told me that he believed that he could carry the load for the Jets long term and that he does not mind competition from who ever they bring in. Also, he told me that he played at 194 pounds last season, not the 202 that he was contracted for. He said that he could be a better blocker over the long term at 202. Leon said that he graded out very well at his position as far as picking up the blitz. He said that from a fans standpoint, they may not realize that because he may be the closest to an unimpeded player heading towards the QB, that blitzing player is not necessarily his assignment and the NFL is strict with assignments! Most times, it's simply not his guy to pick up regardless of how close he may be.

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Great stuff Trey KO - I'll look forward to hearing more!

3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Huh? So it's better to let the QB get flattened than to chip the guy blazing towards you??

4. faree

faree Member

He probably meant that he has his focus elsewhere (on his own assignment) and he trusts that whoever has that assignment will do his job, which is a correct team attitude.

---EDIT---

Nice info Trey Ko.

#4 faree, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

But he said the guy was "unimpeded"?

6. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

Much appreciated report Trey Ko. Looking forward to more....

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

superb...

thanks
    jil

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report Trey. What does the quoted statement mean? I'm not familiar with the term "graded out".

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

graded out: the coaches watch the tape and they grade you. They know what your assignment is supposed to be and they know what realy happened - unlike us, who say, christ, Leon just let that guy go right by him.

Trey Ko - thanks for all you do.

10. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

All players "Grade Out", there is an equation they use to show how effectively a player is doing his job. For instance, a left tackle may not give up a sack but he allowed a lot of pressures, he would not grade out at 100%, although he did not give up a sack.

ATTENTION!!! The first big news of the day.... Marcus Thomas of the Florida Gators tweaked his hip flexor and will not run at the combine; however, he will still go through the interviewing process, medical and bench press (in which he is expected to rep 225 between 35-40 times; he had done 255 lbs 26 times in training).

Marcus will run at his Pro day which is scheduled for March 29th in Jacksonville. I'll keep you all posted! I was given the news on Wednesday, but wanted to make sure I could let it be known now.

Check this list out, it's the official invite list: http://www.nflcombine.net/files/invlist/last_name_sort.html

#10 Trey Ko, Feb 23, 2007
  11. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

DITTO! It was very much welcomed!

12. KleckoNamathToon

My kudos as well. Thanks much for some great info!

13. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

cheers, keep it coming...

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Thanks. Always great to hear things from somebody on the scene rather than word of mouth.

15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Great report Trey Ko

I'm just wondering if you have seen the Jets staff?

Who are they watching and talking to? Are they watching more CB? DL? etc.

I know they are probably keeping a low profile not trying to tip their hands and all but I just think it would be interesting.

16. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

I had not seen anyone form the Jets staff yet, though, I'm sure that I will today. Yesterday I was eating at a restaurant and was sitting across from the Redskins contingent; they were rolling like 8 deep!

Last night I was at Steak and Shake (2am) and saw some loud talking coaches from some other team. They were talking loud and mentioning specific plays, so I assumed that they were coaches.

17. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

Thanks for the report!

18. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

I believe that Eric Managini is expected at the podium at 12:45. I'll let you all know what he said.

It is packed with media today and hard to find a table for my lap top that's located in a room where all of the coaches and prospects will be speaking. I did manage to run into Jack Del Rio of the Jags.

I had also seen Pete Prisco of CBS sports line; incidentally, he happens to be a friend of mine who works at the same radio station that I used to work for in Jacksonville.

#18 Trey Ko, Feb 23, 2007
  19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Great stuff! Hey, why was Leon out there, anyways? Did you happen to ask him what direction he thinks the Jets might go in for this draft?

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

ok ok I know Im a DICK......but is Marcus Thomas tweaking his hip flexor big news?:rofl: :rofl: This is retarded....I know some of you guys like this nonsense so Ill stop coming here but ahahahahahah cmon....I am hysterical at my desk right now......but he will be interviewing right trey? whew. hahahahah ok Im leaving now. sorry:rofl: