Colts at Bills game

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ukjetsfan, Dec 13, 2017.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I know many of you won't be interested in watching the Bills, but their game this week against the Colts was one of the most enjoyable I can remember for a long time. I usually work my way through as many games as possible during the week, on GamePass, and usually watch the condensed 40-minute versions. But during the Jets game I heard the announcers mention the snow at the Bills game and I decided to watch the entire broadcast.

I've always liked games in the snow (I'm still looking for a torrent of the famous Jets-Steelers game in the snow when Curtis Martin had a huge day). It somehow seems like a throwback to earlier eras, especially as it can make the game a bit slower and lead to a greater emphasis on the run.

This Colts-Bills game was like something from the 1950s. It was very difficult for the players to keep their footing and both teams mostly ignored the passing game, so it became a personal duel between McCoy and Gore, both of whom had magnificent days. When the teams did turn to the passing attack the results were sometimes comical, sometimes amazing and the whole thing was given a surreal air by the sheer amount of snow. Players got up after every play with snow caked in their facemasks. After one big play the Bills defenders starting throwing snowballs at each other.

I can wholeheartedly recommend watching this game, even if you usually only watch the Jets. If you hate the Bills, fair enough, but it's a truly great game, and it brought me a little festive cheer at just the right time.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It was interesting to watch until the refs gave the Bills a second chance by calling a bullshit penalty on the 2 pt conversion.

I also have been unable to find a video of that play so I can see if I am overreacting or if the refs truly screwed the pooch. Only place I thought I found it was Buffalo News but they wanted me to pay a subscription to view it on their site.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

here's a fan video from the end zone. Receivers are allowed to block now within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage thanks to the New England Patriots. Somehow these refs saw it differently.

4. The Waterboy

Thanks, was looking for one from broadcast cause I thought it would show the goal line but the one you posted does clearly show that 23 was standing on the goal line (where they had just cleared) and then steps up towards the line of scrimmage. Aiken, while engaged with the Bills player doesn't even step back all the way to the goal line so don't know how the refs could have called that a penalty.

5. ukjetsfan

A bad call, no doubt, but the overtime period was very enjoyable. When the Jets or Patriots aren't involved (getting screwed or getting a new rule made up for them on the spot, respectively) I can overlook bad officiating. It's just a part of the game now. Like the goalposts.

6. ukjetsfan

Looking closely at that again, the Colts player engaged the defender at the one-yard line, but maintained the block until his left foot was at or over the goalline.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. The Waterboy

Where they cleared the snow was a little on each side of the goal line, you see white, then green and then the Colts player on the white. it doesn't seem the offensive player touched the goal line and certainly the Bills player did not. The fact the refs didn't throw a flag for a good while after the play was over tells they weren't sure so to throw it then, to me, makes it a terrible call.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. ukjetsfan

I'm just not sure enough about the rule (maybe somebody could chip in on that?). If the block is initiated within the legal zone but then continues beyond it, does it become illegal? Even if the offensive player doesn't actually touch the goalline, he is clearly more than a yard downfield because his foot is close to the goal line. Even so, the bulk of his body is right around the one, it's impossible to be sure given the conditions and it's an incredibly ticky-tacky call anyway because by then the legal part of the block had already cleared the guy for the two-point conversion. It's a micro-managing call that takes the spirit of the game away. The conversion should have stood, I think. it.