College Football Thread.

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by laxin, Aug 31, 2013.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Missouri and Auburn 2-14 in the SEC in 2012. Playing in the SEC championship game in 2013.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

crazy stuff...Great for both schools

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, that's not a reasonable choice because if you miss it you go to OT anyways. you make it you win and avoid OT. there is nothing to lose other the risk of a fluke play which you can't expect and certainly shouldn't avoid the FG attempt to prevent.

had they not attempted the FG and gone to OT and lost, and Saban been asked why he didn't try a FG at the end of the game and his reply was because he was worried that if they missed it would be returned 100 yards for a TD you would laugh your ass off at that excuse.

it was a fluke play caused by their lack of awareness, but that doesn't mean the reasonable course of action should have been just not to attempt a FG. at what point do you say any FG attempt at the end of the game should just be skipped to avoid any potential mistake and just go to OT? it is a ridiculous argument to make.

4. JetBlue

the SEC is so great a team that couldn't win a supposedly inferior conference has come in and lost only 1 game.

5. The_NYTitan

The_NYTitan Member

Fuck auburn killed my 3peat hopes

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Made a fan reaction video of the Iron Bowl 2013 game...

[youtube]j7wHcqHc9-g[/youtube]

Oh how I wish to get that feeling as a Jets fan.

#106 Poeman, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It was a terrible decision, I would fire him after season was over, at home and down by 2 TDs and this is how the coach ends the game for these men who worked their but off, at least give the team a chance to win it in OT.

The college coaches always remind me why I don't watch more college football, their constantly trying to reinvent the wheel.

On another note, what I have taken from watching these QB for the last couple of years is this, there is only one guy I would consider a top 10 pick, and that is TB.

Mecklenberger has the tools, except his knee injury might scare teams enough that they would pick him in a later round.

Other than that, the QB class for next years draft is average at best.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Huge AJ McCarron fan here. Made clutch throws that should have won the game for 'Bama. I'd love to see that kid on our roster one day.

9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

You are ignoring the fact that the potential of a blocked FG increases drastically with a kick from that distance. It is absolutely reasonable to just kneel it and play for OT in that situation when you are the better team. What is unreasonable is equating "any FG attempt" to a 57 yarder. A shorter kick easily goes out the back of the end zone and doesn't require a lower trajectory.

I feel like you know all this though yet for some odd reason are arguing anyway

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It's not a fluke play. It's happened in the NFL level multiple times in my 25 year lifetime. It's exactly what happens when people forget the rules and get locked into the "Good or no good - that's the only options" scenario.

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Francesa: "Since Saban went for it on 4th down from the Auburn 11, how does he kick at the end?"

Huge difference. A TD isn't any better than a FG on the last play, and a first down does you no good.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

You can certainly question the decision, but not on the grounds that it was unfair to the players - apparently Hoke asked his players if they wanted to go for 2 and they unanimously said yes. (Of course, you could argue that he shouldn't have left it up to them, but in a season that was disappointing anyway I wouldn't take issue with it.)

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=333340130

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

+1000

_

14. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Agreed, somebody start an AJ to NYJ thread? Hopefully he bombs his pro day so we can get him or we can always lose out.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Right now I figure we're about 11 or 12 in the draft.

He's not going before that. :grin:

_

16. JetBlue

fluke plays happen, so of course you have seen it before.

a fluke play is simply something unusual that you don't expect. of course you expect FG's to be missed. but most are not missed and returned, nevertheless returned 100 yards for TD's to end the game (which I doubt you have ever seen; please tell me what other game in history ended with a missed FG being run back for TD).

it was a fluke play, caused by Alabama's negligence on the play. but their negligence doesn't then make the call to kick the FG a bad call.

17. JetBlue

the game was tied, it is absolutely ridiculous for you to claim that Alabama was the better team, especially in hindsight that they lost. Auburn was clearly the better team.

beyond that, "better" teams lose in OT, so it is ridiculous to claim any team should forego a scoring opportunity that could win the game and go to OT because they should be confident in themselves to win it. as opposed to being confident that they can make the kick. you are very selective in what teams should be confident in.

at what point should any potentially game winning kick be skipped for teams to just opt for OT?

beyond that, the kick wasn't blocked, so the risk of being blocked is irrelevant to the discussion. you run the risk of a kick being blocked on every attempt, so it is ridiculous to claim makeable kicks should be avoided just because of risk. a 57 yard kick is makeable.

you are certainly arguing just to be contrary, but the idea that a makeable kick should be skipped is ridiculous, especially under the guise of your argument that they were the better team and should have believed they would just win it in OT when the game clearly revealed they were not the better team.

18. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

USC hires Washington Coach Sarkisian. James Franklin stays put (for now)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

19. JetBlue

great hire...for UCLA.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Well seems like my video I made and posted on the Auburn vs Alabama fan reactions went unnoticed here on TGG...However, thought I'd let you guys know, the video has skyrocketed on social media since I put it up...Got picked up by Yahoo and a handful of other sites.

Including Sports Grid, who is calling my video "Perhaps the Internet's Greatest Compilation Video"

How awesome, gotta admit I feel a little cooler! :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...urn-fan-reactions-video-133145107--ncaaf.html

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-foot...aps-the-internets-greatest-compilation-video/