Coffee and Health

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TonyFtLaud, Mar 14, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I was a big coffee drinker, had a travel mug that held 2 pots of coffee plus creamer until I had a sudden cardiac arrest. Thankfully my arteries were clear but hydration and extremely low potassium caused V Fib followed by 22 mins in Asystole. I very rarely have any caffeine. Decaf coffee on occasion, decaf tea, occasionally a root beer but mostly water, propel or Gatorade if I am out and active in this Florida heat.

Brook! and GQMartin like this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You better thank whoever it was who brought you back to life. 22 minutes in asystole is a long time!

3. TonyFtLaud

I did, more than once!
    I remember coming to in the ER, the Dr asking me questions and just shaking his head. He handed me my liscence from his clipboard and said " you shouldn't even Know your name. "
    The paramedics who took me to the ER brought in another patient later and I called them in. They couldn't believe I knew who they were. I proceeded to tell each one everything that happened in detail and they were stunned. It's a long story but amazing.
    I'm very fortunate to be alive.
    Should have moved on from the Jets when I got a second chance but I blame the lack of oxygen!!!!

BacktoQueens, Red Menace and stinkyB like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Potassium is the killer. No one gets enough potassium through diet and supplements only offer 99mg doses because of the heart affects.

Vitamin water zero, coconut has 880mg of potassium if you need a quick boost. Hit that with a 1/4 tsp lite salt and you turn bionic.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Same thing happened to my wife last month. At 3:00 am we had to take her to emergency room. I didn't know coffee was this dangerous.

6. TonyFtLaud

I think it's fine in moderation even large amounts as long as you stay hydrated.
    My thought process at the time was ,I'm drinking so much liquid(coffee) I can't get dehydrated.
    How is your wife doing now? That's the important thing.

7. TonyFtLaud

I use coconut water for Smoothies. Instead of Ice I freeze coconut water and use them. Also start every morning with a bannana and keep dried apricots, raisins and almonds in a bag to snack on.
    Where do you get lite salt? Is it available in grocery stores or GNC?

8. Brook!

She told doctor exactly what you said. She said she drinks so much coffee she didn't think she needed water. End result, we called 911 and rushed her to the hospital at 3:00 AM. She only drinks decaf coffee in the mornings and that's it.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

It's been years and I have probably only had 3-4 caffeinated drinks , well fully cafinated. I do have a cup of decaf coffee or tea occasionally.
    I actually noticed a big improvement health wise, less fatigue, more energy, I also used to get cramps in my calf's and shoulders but that Even subsided.
    Live and learn. That's why I responded to the question about if too much caffeine can be harmful. I had no idea how dehydrated I was and I'm sure it was not the first time. I'm sure there are others that are not aware either.
    I was extremely fortunate. Had it happened while at home, alone, while driving. I would not be here today.

Brook! likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You should try Matcha powder, I haven't had coffee in months cause of it

11. TonyFtLaud

Is it caffeinated?

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Wait. Did you have an NDE? I’ve read thousands of accounts and studies on the topic.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

PS - I fucking knew we hijacked that thread too much. Lol.

Banished to our own thread.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It is, but apparently it is more beneficial in the form of Matcha. It's a mild stimulant that naturally occurs in a variety of plants, beans, fruits and nuts. And it's not like you need several cups of it, just 1 smoothie a day in the morning does the trick for me. I find my energy levels to be pretty good throughout the entire day with no big time crash. Buy the powder and not the actual tea. I went through a pretty big lifestyle change after I stopped smoking cigs and my dad had his 2nd stroke.

The caffeine high in coffee is more dangerous to the body.

This is where I bought mine:

https://houseofmatcha.jp/collections/frontpage/products/house-of-matcha-2

Here is some info on it:

http://www.naturesbeststuff.com/how-much-caffeine-is-in-matcha-green-tea/

Def encourage you to try it if you want a substitute for coffee.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

This is why I only drink scotch

TonyFtLaud, stinkyB, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

Yes I did. I was interviewed for a couple of studies and for one of the critical care nurses master theisis.
    I met quite a few others NDE survivors and while all our experiences were a little different, they were also very similar. I was gone for quite a while, 22 mins with the paramedics and 6 -8 mins before they arrived.
    I have read so clinical studies that try to explain it from a medical/ scientific point of view. But from my personal experience and those I met who also survived a NDE don't seem to agree.
    In my case, I watched everything from a standing position at the back of the ambulance and as I said earlier, the paramedics were shocked at how detailed I was able to describe the entire time. I knew who was driving, who was seated to my left administering meds and who was seated behind me delivering shocks from the defibrillator. I told them I remember hearing the siren after the 12th shock in the ambulance and nothing else after that so that must be when my heart stopped, but they said that's when it started.
    It's difficult to actually describe the feeling but it's beyond peaceful, a complete release.
    If it could be bottled, every other drug or substance would be replaced.

17. TonyFtLaud

And I think I just hijacked the hijacked thread again......

18. TonyFtLaud

I'll drink to that!:p

19. Brook!

End of thread.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Very interesting. Did you find you adopted different likes or dislikes when after your recovery?

This explains your patience with the Jets. Lol