Clayton Thorson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by grkmanga31, Nov 6, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Clayton Thorson hasn't been getting a lot of buzz but I have seen some scouts say that he can be a sneaky rise as we approach the draft. Plays for Northwestern and is 6 ft 4 inches, 225 pounds. Does anyone have any preliminary thoughts on him? There's footage on youtube but not as much as some of the other highly touted prospects.

Good mobility here - recognizes huge gap, no defender in site has enough burst to get up and run into open space - TD

Same, except defender is right in front of him but he's able to create separation and has enough speed to get around defender

I really like this clip - Thorson shuffles feet, always keeps his eyes down the field - sees the opening and takes off

One of the interceptions he threw versus Duke -stared down his WR the whole way - this will get you benched in the NFL very quickly

His completion % has had a steady increase going from 50.8% in 2015, 58.6% in 2016, 60.7% in 2017 which shows progression IMO, but his INT totals are alarming, 7 TD to 9 INT in 2015, 22 TD versus 9 int's in 2016, 10 TD to 11 in 2017 - still on going. Not sure if this is due in part because of lack of talent, need to see more film

#1 grkmanga31, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I'm actually a Northwestern fan and have seen most of his games.

Thorson has all the tools you can ask for, but isn't the most accurate passer in the world and often leaves the pocket too early. That said he's been put behind an awful Oline his entire career, and outside of Austin Carr hasn't had any players on the outside who can create separation.

It should be noted that he's 20-12 and 15-7 in the Big Ten as a starter which is really good for a QB at Northwestern. Also has another year of eligibility and isn't haven't the greatest statistical season so could elect to stay in school.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Interesting that you pointed this out as I have I noticed in the limited film I've seen thus far that he doesn't stay in the pocket for too long and often looks to run which works if you're fast but the NFL game is a whole different animal.

I like that his completion % has gone up year after year, it shows progression for sure.

Not sure what round he would go in and he's certainly no day 1 starter, but think he would be perfect for a team that would want him to sit for 2-3 years

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm starting to warm up to Thorson as a 1st round option.
    Granted I need to see how the season plays out, and watch more of his work.

But he's checking off a lot of key check boxes for me.
    1) High character guy, well liked by teammates, and a good leader
    2) Very strong arm
    3) Good height at 6'4"
    4) Plays in the elements in cold weather
    5) Regularly plays against superior competition, without much supporting cast
    6) Throwing over 60% completion despite the superior competition and elements

Has a lot of similar characteristics I liked about Jay Cutler as a prospect, except unlike Cutler, Thorson is a high character guy.
    He's well liked and respected.

If we could somehow get him in the 2nd round that would be great.
    But I'm predicting now, he will rise up boards quickly. If we want him, might have to go with our 1st.

Considering we have a pretty complicated offense, I probably wouldn't make him a day 1 starter.
    It's better to let him get acclimated to the pro game and our offense for a period of time.

FJF likes this.
  5. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

QB running ability really doesn't impress me, and that seems to be the bulk of Thorson's highlights. It's great for college, where the QB position is basically a running back who also passes. Thorson's accuracy, mechanics, and field vision look as though they leave a lot to be desired. It's too bad, because it sounds like he has the intangibles to be a great leader.

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

11 TDs to 11 INTs thus far this season..

#6 Martin&theJETS, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

I'd consider him a pocket passer, not a running QB.
    Probably has the strongest arm of this draft class.
    Accuracy over 60% and has improved every year, and this is without working with much talent remember.

Mechanics and vision I'll check out more as I can watch more tape.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Strongest arm award belongs to Josh Allen

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

I'm also very interested in Allen, for all the same reasons I listed above.
    And I believe he will be available when we select. Def not a day 1 starter either tho.

10. BacktoQueens

yeah that's unimpressive for sure.
    We'll see how the rest of season plays out.

When I get a chance to watch more tape, I'll evaluate the picks a little more.
    Considering he is outmatched on supporting talent, are any of the pics happening as a result of trying to do too much, or trying to overcome big point deficits?

11. JethroTull

[
    Northwestern plays a very boring brand of football that is predicated on ball control. Its a no huddle dink and dunk offense that eats up the clock, but usually requires 10 plus plays to score. As a result turnovers are more likely because they are running so many more plays than an average offense which means the risk of something going wrong is higher.

They do the same thing on defense as well. Two weeks ago Nebraska had an 18 play drive that resulted in three points.

On offense they want to run the ball and the QB is supppsed to take what the defenses give him.

On defense its stop the run and keep the WRs in front of you

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bunch of excuses. If the QB was good enough he wouldn't turn the ball over and they wouldn't take forever to put the ball in the end zone. If he is so handicapped by the offense that he has to dink and dunk and barely make plays, then he probably isn't an NFL QB.

13. JethroTull

I probably wouldnt draft him, just trying to give a fair assessment. The safety he took against Wisconsin was one of the worst plays I have ever seen a QB make. That said he doesnt have WRs who can get downfield or an oline that can protect so I dont fault him for the lack of explosive plays.

Hes definitely not a plug and play guy despite being a three year starter, and I think the Jets have had their fill of projects.

14. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

He's intriguing. The Jets have pretty much played themselves out of the top 5 and could wind up just outside of the top 10.
    Unless the team is willing to give multiple first round picks, and a lot of picks, the top 2 or 3 QB's are probably out of the question.

15. JethroTull

Thorson announced that he’s returning to Northwestern for his senior season

BacktoQueens likes this.