Claim Joe Callahan

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AJT73, Dec 18, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree and think the idea that we wouldn't have found out that ASJ and Anderson can play is utter nonsense. It was Petty's play last year that put Anderson on the map.

Do you seriously expect a young QB who has little NFL experience, who probably hasn't had a meaningful practice snap all season, and had exactly one week of practice with the starting offense to try to develop timing and chemistry, to play, not have any rust, and be sharp? If so, your expectations are not very realistic.

2. NCJetsfan

If he had so much promise, why in the world would the Packers have released him in the first place? Hundley didn't exactly light up the NFL this season. Many Packer fans were clamoring for Callahan to start when Hundley was playing so poorly. Did McCarthy even consider it? No, unless he was lying when asked about it. If Callahan has such great potential, why didn't someone immediately sign him? It's not like there's a surplus of good QBs in the NFL. If he has that much potential, someone would have snatched him up immediately before the Packers could re-sign him.

3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you that Petty needed more time with the starters to build chemistry and see what he has. That being said in the limited time we have seen from him has he shown anything? Say what you want about the coaches but they know. I think they knew if they started Petty they'd get blown out in every game and because he is inaccurate he could get someone hurt. There are many cases in the NFL where someone is drafted and never really got a chance because the coaches know their limitations. Petty is like Kellen Clemens, Jimmy Claussen to name a few. Not back qbs but not starting caliber that doesn't bring out the best in their teammates because they are limited.

4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

He cleared waivers and the Packers resigned him.

5. NCJetsfan

He is NOT inaccurate! He completed 72% of his passes in TC. One doesn't do that if he is an inaccurate QB. He wasn't inaccurate in college. Have you ever had a bad day or an off day?

No, Petty is not not like Kellen Clemens or Jimmy Claussen. That's ridiculous. Both have had many opportunities and they sucked every time. Jimmy Clausen is the definition of a bad QB. I can't believe that he's still in the NFL. That's a testament to how few decent QBs there are. Clausen is probably the worst QB I've ever seen in the NFL.

6. NCJetsfan

Exactly. If any of the other 31 teams thought he had any potential at all, they would have claimed him, before GB could re-sign him. None did.

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Did you watch Sunday? Petty in the preseason plays against guys that aren't in the NFL. Sunday 61% completion. Inaccurate on many throws. Two picks on td. I'm not saying he is trash but he is not an NFL starting qb. Training Camp (TC) and preseason is nothing compared to what he has done in the regular season. Look at the article about Sunday and his career stats.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/12/how_did_bryce_petty_look_vs_saints_jets_qb_report.html

http://www.nfl.com/player/brycepetty/2552369/careerstats

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

More evidence of Petty being inaccurate. He admits it. He says he needs to calm down. His footwork is good during practice but in a real game he got anxious. What about all the shotgun plays? NFL teams don't primarily do shotgun plays except in two minutes drills. I'm rooting for Petty. I'd be thrilled if he was our answer. Unfortanately from what I have seen he is not the answer.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/petty-...curacy-issues-ahead-of-second-start/263758034

9. NCJetsfan

Is it unusual or unexpected for a young QB to get anxious when he hasn't had much practice or playing time? Yes, definitely. That will cause some inaccuracy, but that doesn't mean that he's an inaccurate QB. That's just absurd. I think your expectations are unrealistic, and like all too many Jets fans, you are too willing and ready to trash our own players and kick them to the curb. Not every player develops immediately. Some take time and quality coaching. He may not be the answer, but imo it's way too early to give up on him, especially considering that Hack looks 10x worse, and the Jets may not be in a position where they can get a top QB prospect in the draft this year. If the Jets draft Allen or some other QB who needs developmental time as well, Petty could conceivably start or at least serve as a quality backup to the vet FA QB the Jets sign, while the rookie learns the offense and develops.

If you truly are rooting for Petty, you shouldn't be so quick to trash him and say he's clearly not the answer or anything to that extent. I don't see any point in continuing this discussion, because I don't think we will ever agree or come to any consensus, but thanks for the discussion.

Cheers!

AJT73 likes this.
  10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He was claimed by GB.