Claim Joe Callahan

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AJT73, Dec 18, 2017.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Callahan was released by the Packers to make room for Rodgers. He spent time in New Orleans. He's showed he has potential. Why not sign him? After yesterday we know Petty is not the answer and the team doesn't want to play Hackenburg because they know he is even worse. Claim Callahan. Even if he doesn't play he could compete for next year and maybe we get lucky and he develops for us. By claiming him though it should not stop us from signing Cousins or drafting Allen or Mayfield. Low risk high reward move.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:o_O

Unbelievable. Yeah, after only one week of practice with the starters, we know that Petty isn't the answer because he didn't light it up yesterday.

The brilliance of Jets fans never ceases to amaze me!

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

^ Man, it's crazy it's as if QBs don't work out in the off-season to get better. Or maybe fans don't realize that QBs can actually be bad. I mean what does this topic have to do with Petty?

I think the Jets recently signed a QB to the PS or something? Also Joe Callahan whats so good about him? Serious inquiry

FJF likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d settle for the Jets finally prioritizing the QB position this offseason and not only taking a QB with the first pick but then building an offense around him.

Petty and Hack both gotta go, this is Macs last chance.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Where has he shown this potential? As far as I can tell, he's an undersized, undrafted player from Wesley that has never played a regular season snap. Sure, if they like him, sign him, but no reason to be excited about him at this time

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I'd rather get Bill Callahan.

7. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I’ve seen Callahan play several time at Wesley. He was a very good D3 QB. But this is the NFL.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

What about the four games he got last year. What do you see in him that he can be an NFL starter. I'm rooting for him but he is a career backup. Hackenburg was given every opportunity and failed. He's going to be cut at the end of training camp.

As for Callahan I've heard good things about him. Can't say I know much but at this point for a qb lets turn every stone. I'm willing to sign him for two weeks get him into our offseasn training program and see if we get lucky. if not cut him. I know we are siging a free agent qb and probably drafting one. Why not bring in a guy who is a low risk reward type guy. If he stinks we cut him but worth trying.

9. Hell yeah...his hybrid power zone scheme w. the OL was absolute dynamite. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Jetaho likes this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Most KNEW Petty WAS not the answer a while ago. What happened this past week has no bearing on that opinion.

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Agreed, having Bill Callahan at QB would be like having another coach out there.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'd take him and Mangold, Ferguson, and Fanaca back. What a shame. A great oline. No qb. Could've would've should've. Imagine Russell Wislon with that line.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If the Jets are interested in picking up someone off the streets, they should be giving Stephen Morris a call. Colts fans will tell you, he should be on someone's roster right if not playing.

14. That was the best line of that entire decade. And the scheme Callahan put together fit them absolutely perfectly. Russel Wilson wouldve suited that offense beautifully.

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Is he related to Big Tom Callahan?

Curious how getting sacked 15 times in preseason games has effected his brain. In that time he had all of 3 TDs. I see the OP mentioned he spent time on New Orleans, well he also spent time on Cleveland that same season, and then Green Bay. So 3 teams, one season, what does that tell you.

FJF likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Getting a QB is not a matter of luck, except perhaps in the draft; otherwise, it involves having a plan to work on his deficiencies and develop him, which includes giving him adequate practice reps and playing time. As I said in another post in this thread, McCown should never have seen the field this year. Bates' and Morton's jobs should have been to develop Petty and Hack and get them on the playing field this year. Instead, they spent most of their time getting McCown ready to start.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He is made for the jets :)

The Waterboy likes this.
  18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Packers resigned him. Onto turning the next rock.

19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

In a perfect world McCown would've never seen the field but no matter how many reps etc Petty and Hackenburg are not NFL qbs. Did you see the game Sunday? Petty missed open receivers left and right. He's maybe a backup. As for Hackenburg did you see the preseason. The guy still couldn't hit thr Atlantic Ocean if he was standing next to it.

Since McCown started the team kept my interest for most of the year. We found out that Austin Seferian Jenkins does have talent given a qb, Robby Anderson is a player except for two games he kept us in the games and lead a young team to continue to play hard. If Petty or Hackenburg started we wouldn't of found out that these players could play, the team would be unwatchable and the team would've given up. Because they were so bad Bowles had no choice but to play McCown.

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Ryan Callahan for me