CJs option declined. Pace and Babin's exercised

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Feb 5, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True and if the Jets need the cap space in pursuing FAs, they can always still cut one or both.

2. NCJetsfan

Houston is a beast, and would be even more of one behind our DL. That said, he is simply going to cost too much and we have too many other holes. For what it would take to sign Houston, the Jets could probably sign at least 2, maybe 3 or even 4 starting quality FAs, and that would make the team better than just the addition of Houston.

3. NCJetsfan

IMO it's purely for insurance. I may be mistaken, but I don't think it cost the Jets anything extra to keep Pace at this point. His salary isn't guaranteed, so he could be cut later. By keeping them, the Jets can still pursue a FA OLB if they like and have some leverage in terms of a contract for that FA. If they had released either Pace or Babin, they would have had a definite hole, and the agent for that FA OLB would have had the upper hand and could have demanded more money. In addition, if they missed getting a FA OLB, then that would leave them in the position of not only having to draft an OLB, but then counting on him to start, and one never wants to be in that position.

I want Pace gone and his spot upgraded with more speed and coverage ability as much as anyone. I never liked his signing in the first place. He's been decent but no real threat as a pass rusher. I think he will be gone soon. If not this offseason, then next. For now, I think keeping him was the smart move.

4. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

never go into free agency with need, its not a stable place to negotiate from.

even if its an alright but upgradable piece like Pace, he's there he can conceivably start and you can be a bit less frantic to begin with.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea of course I am,It seems like season after season goes by and we never make the changes or draft the players neccasary to start moving in the right direction.It would be nice to see a Jets linebacker make the pro bowl for once,it would be nice to see 5 Jets make the pro bowl next year

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Do you think that picking up their options means they're locks to start yet alone make the roster? Because they're not. Each are still very able to be cut and this doesn't mean they're not going to try to upgrade. So it's overreacting.

Even if they are targeting a big-time free agent OLB, a team needs other options and depth; you can't just ditch two starters from last year (at least one of whom was effective) and bank on getting exactly who you want and at the right price. I mean, Justin Houston may not even hit the market. Then what?

And big free agents aren't locks anyway. Look at Jarius Byrd last year. He cost New Orleans a fortune and a lot of quality players had to be released or not resigned to make room. Then he sucked in 2014 before being placed on IR. How about Andy Levitre? Tremendous OG in Buffalo, signed a huge deal with Tennessee, and has been awful since. You don't build a team through free agency.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I hope we move up a few spots. I would hate for the Patsies to get him at #32.

8. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I think Buffalo will let Spiller walk, then overpay for Powell. JMO.

9. NCJetsfan

I'd love to have Gurley, but with the depth at RB in this draft, that wouldn't be a wise thing to do imo. Then there's all the holes the Jets have, seemingly wasted draft picks last year, and those that Tanny pissed away, and the idea of trading up for anything other than a potential franchise QB, and particularly a RB when the position has been devalued and it's a very deep draft at RB is just flat out stupid imo. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Mac doesn't seem to be stupid.

10. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Ugh. The Johnson experiment over. Looks like we are drafting a RB.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Are you one of those "I don't care if there are no good QB options available, the Jets better just find a way to get one" people too?

FJF likes this.
  12. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

He makes a good point though. Who is the best jets lb in the last 15 years? Vilma? Lol

13. BroadwayAaron

It's a totally irrelevant point to the discussion.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Luckily it's really only one or two people who think this way, but what does picking up these options have anything to do with finding a top-tier linebacker this offseason? That's plenty have pointed out, this doesn't even guarantee them a roster spot but just guarantees that they'll be with us in the camp and we have the final say on whether or not they play for us this year.

I mean, is there anyone out there that honestly thinks we would pass on Gregory if he was sitting there at six and both quarterbacks plus Cooper have already been taken? Are we going to pass up signing Worilds if there's mutual interest just because we picked up the options on two guys don't even play every down?

15. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

good when was the last time we had a good young rb

this team has ben deprived of offensive skill players for so long time to fix that

16. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Harris > Vilma

17. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Buffalo will certainly not "open their pockets to keep him." RB's aren't worth it, and especially Spiller since he is a part time back who needs to share the load. Even when he's part time, if he's not breaking a 60 yard run (which he has rarely done since 2012) then he loses yardage. I am like 99% sure Greg Roman won't want him in the offense. We have Fred Jackson, Bryce Brown, Anthony Dixon, and I think they'll add a young guy in the draft (they're everywhere this year). I would bet the Bills offer Spiller a low contract offer and he splits to go back with Chan.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's it.

If I were a GM, I think I'd want to bring back any guys who could have a chance to make the team and contribute to compete in camp and preseason. Especially going into the draft, I think you want to have at least some semblance of respectability and talent at each position so you're not reaching for need. Having these two guys gives you that. Maybe one of them makes the team, maybe both do, maybe neither do. Just adds more depth, competition and possibilities

BacktoQueens and TonyMaC like this.
  19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'd take Spiller over Powell any day. I think Spiller would come to the Jets because he had his best years under Gailey. But maybe we'll get a shot at drafting one of the good 3rd or 4th round backs like Abdullah, etc. A good move to re-sign Pace and Babin who are good specialty guys on D. I think Rex would have eaten both of them up if not re-signed by us.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Babin and Pace remind me of a country song:

"I ain't a good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was"

They can no longer bring it 30-40 times a game, but put them in there 15 times in critical situations and they can bring it as good as "they every was".