CJs option declined. Pace and Babin's exercised

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Feb 5, 2015.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Re-sign Powell, draft 1 RB

Turbocharged23 and Charlie Kelly like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't think we should do this.

I think a lot of Chris Johnson's problems last year were because he was being used wrong by MM. His cap hit is pennies in relation to what we will have. I'd rather keep him and draft a young guy.

Personally, I think Gailey can really produce a lethal backfield with Ivory and Johnson.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Saw this coming and I'm on board with the thinking.
    I'd like to get younger at the position and, honestly, Powell was super overrated by the previous regime.

I wouldn't mind bringing in Vreen to pair with Ivory and also draft one of the top speed backs coming out.
    I wouldn't mind seeing us grab a back in rd2 as I think it's going to be a big part of our offense.

#43 Jersey Joe 67, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

what do we draft, a quick scat back or a power back?

5. dawggjet

dawggjet Member

The Jets can run the ball. CJ2K's YPC is no joke. That is productivity. QB is the problem here.

6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

What you guys who want to keep Chris Johnson aren't getting, is that we won't be a SB contending team this year, or in all likelihood next year either. So keeping him seems quite pointless to me. He only has at most 2 years left in him, and he is obviously on the decline. To me, it's a no brainer to cut him, and draft a young guy, or get younger through FA even.

7. dawggjet

dawggjet Member

Can the "young guy" be as productive? The Jets are in general not good at plug and play

8. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I'm a firm believer in the OL makes the RB. The Cowboys drafted OL 3 of the past 4 years and now Murray is running through holes you could drive a truck through and Romo looks like an MVP QB.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Take the Canadian Yale FB Tyler Varga ....scored TDs the whole Senior Bowl

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Vereen would be an excellent addition to the team. If we can't get Vereen, go for Spiller. This draft is also loaded with RB talent. I think you get a vet and a rookie along with Ivory.

I really like Powell but I see him leaving in the off season along with CJ.

11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

There's a huge difference between the Ravens, a great organization that consistently wins, signing players to round out the roster, and the Jets signing players they hope will make big contributions.

12. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I agree but for some reason I expect the Bills to throw too much money at Powell (after Spiller takes a walk) even though Rex pretends to have no say in anything, fat stupid worm that he is

13. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Let him go and sign Spiller.. No brainer..

4jetfans likes this.
  14. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I think signing Powell at vet minimum would be a wise move. and I agree on Vereen/Helu 4 year deal as well. We have too many holes to spend a second round pick which is so high that it's almost a first on a running back. We have no ILB to replace Harris and FA market is weak, no OLBs if we cut Pace/Babin and no WR threat outside of Decker. And a terrible guard situation to boot.
    We absolutely can't afford to use a high pick on a RB...we don't have 12 picks this year. We need to lean on Ivory/Powell and our cap dollars.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The draft may be loaded with talent, but let's remember how many starting positions on this team could use an upgrade. I am not saying I am firmly for keeping Johnson by any means. It's only that it's not a simple matter of saying we fix Rb after cutting Johnson by using a first or even second day pick on Rb.

I expect the Jets will be active in FA before the draft, but realistically how many positions will have been addressed by the draft? Especially if Harris goes, which I think is likely.

Imo part of Johnson's problem was clearly SMith. The Jets could not get him the ball much with short passes, and although Ivory did well despite problems with the OL and Smith, the hope was Johnson would add another dimension with passes out of hte backfield. I am reluctant to blame him entirely for the lack of expected/hoped for production of that sort.

Part of my problem is I am not a huge Powell fan.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Smith's inability to take snaps under center definitely played a role in CJ's diminished #s. I do think the Jets need to get younger and I think the best way is via the draft and FA.

I think the Jets could find a nice 3rd down back in the later rounds that can catch passes out of the backfield and pass-protect. Too many good young RBs in this draft. Such as Ameer Abdullah from Nebraska, very good player.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

My problem with Johnson was that he was brought in here to add another element with the short passing game.
    yet, he wasn't effective on pass blocking, catching, or route running in his opportunities. How can you trust him out on 3rd downs?
    that's why he didn't have a huge workload. it wasn't working out.

I like Powell as i feel he can effectively spell Ivory, as well as contributing on 3rd downs.
    he's a very good pass blocker too.
    but we'd still need to find an explosive back to fill the role we hoped CJ could fill last season. Draft is where i'd look for that, as it is deep at the position.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

My concern is that some of the limitations we saw in Johnson's game were really exacerbated by poor play at Qb. I am a huge Ivory fan, him and Mangold are my two favorite players on O right now. But I recognize CI can't carry the ball every play, and is not the best RB receiver out there. CJ had the potential to be a great combo with Ivory, better than Powell who imo is rather average for the most part. The expected benefit in the passing game with CJ did not reach fruition, but that was mostly on Smith.

I guess if they flat out cut him and do not attempt to bring him back, that will tell me something. But I am not so sure that happens.

19. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Terrible post. If CJ's success depends on good QB play then he isn't the player that was advertised and doesn't deserve the amount of carries he got

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Powell is nothing special.