Cimini on ESPN Radio: Petty's days could be numbered

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Your right, there are only 2 or 3 guys that should be considered in the middle to late first and maybe early second.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I just want to make sure this makes sense to me. So instead of making the team better in the long run, it was smart for Mac to sign Fitz for another year? Just to save his own ass? I would've had far more respect for Mac had he not signed Fitz back. That's not how a football team operates.

3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Were you following the team at the end of 2015? (I know you were.)

The Jets came off a 10 win season. Fitz, Marshall and Decker had career years, the Jets finally had a passing offense in what seemed like a decade, and the last game press conference Bowles said he wanted Fitz as next years starter. What the hell was Mac supposed to do? He tried to tough negotiate Fitz, but Fitz waited him out and week after week was a drip of news reports from players saying they wanted Fitz in the building.

Mac not signing Fitz may have you respecting him more, but after the 2015 season it would have lead to the fanbase flying banners over Florham Park. And what QB was signed in 2016 by another team actually panned out?

#103 PulseJet, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that vet QBs signed all the time to be mentors, that's why I said it must be some "rule", but where is the proof that it helps anyone? McCown simply muddies the water. If you really want to find out about Petty and Hack, then pay them, not a vet!

And yes, you know I prefer drafting Mahomes or Watson at 6, but failing that, take Webb or Peterman later, either of whom can be a FQB IMO. But the point is, if we're really an truly in "full rebuild mode" as everyone here assumes - keep in mind there has been no official announcement to that effect - then jump in fully. Having and playing the three young guys guarantees that you will know one of two things:

1. They have their FQB
    2. They need to keep looking

And while not a guarantee,, playing three young guys will LIKELY result in a top 3 draft pick, whereas with McCown, they Jets could get "lucky" and win 5 or 6 games and get a mediocre pick.

#104 ColoradoContrails, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Cman68 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Do you really think the Jets are any better than an expansion team? In fact, they are worse because they have fewer and poorer draft picks. They NEED to gamble. I agree however that they won't. They will continue to try the "safe route", even when they know that it leads nowhere because, well, "That's just the way the NFL works". But consider this: There was once a franchise that beat the NFL's finest and shocked everyone because they didn't do things the NFL Way. And then they got absorbed into the NFL. Do you think it's a coincidence that that team hasn't won since?

Really, what have they got to lose? If Woody really had a desire to win, and balls, he would force Macc to go the route I'm suggesting, but he won't. But just because I know they won't do this doesn't mean I'm not going to suggest it.

6. 101GangGreen101

Mac should've told Bowles to STFU and we'll evaluate the position at a later time. I am sure emotions were running high and blah blah. I would've taken Fitz back at a VERY cheap cost like very cheap, but Mac folded at the end. 2015 was going to be as good as it got with Fitz, we all somewhat knew that.

I think a lot of fans here didn't mind not bringing Fitz back, it was pretty even. I had no issues starting Geno this past season.

FJF likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So they're shit but on the bright side they're not diarrhea?

8. 101GangGreen101

Can't pay Hack yet. I don't think much of Petty so you maybe replace Petty with a young QB via the draft. Still good to have a mentor in the locker room. The Jets can't teach their QBs jack shit, so it might be good to have a McCown.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that Mac "folded." Would it have been better to have Mac and Bowles feuding and not working together ala Idzik and Rex? Mac is trying to work with Bowles in a "team" concept.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

If Bowles don't wanna go with the youth movement, then Bowles gotta go. I would hope that Bowles didn't feud with Mac over that, because I would find that to be really petty and sad. Fitz isn't worth fighting over. I guess we won't find out until the next Collision Low Crossers book comes out.

11. ColoradoContrails

I have yet to see any proof of this "rule".

Do all HCs want a "safety valve"? Of course! But if you really look at it, what does playing McCown really do for this Jets team except muddy the water, AND risk a poor enough record that would doom them to draft pick purgatory?

I know what the "conventional wisdom" says, But I reject it. And BTW: The last time the Jets won a championship, Werblin and Ewbank rejected the conventional NFL "wisdom" too.

12. 101GangGreen101

Who said it was a rule? I never said that. McCown might not even see a snap at QB. It's to gauge to see how far along Hack and Petty is. If you can't beat McCown in practice, you probably don't deserve to start. I said the Jets can't coach QBs so it's nice to maybe have a QB vet there.

- See Andrew Luck / Matt Hasselbeck.

Also, look up the draft positions for that team when McCown is on the roster. It's not going to risk anything.

BomberJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Also see Mark Sanchez / Mark Brunell. Sanchez's best two years were with Brunell on the team; when Brunell left, Sanchez collapsed. That might have been a coincidence, but it also might have been a factor.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When Alan Faneca and Damien Woody left along with Cotchery and Edwards and finally Keller is when Sanchez collapsed.

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Cimini is an idiot...is he really a Jets beat writer or a wanna be Giant follower?

This is a good move by the Jets :) look at it as a stop gap for them to determine if either Hack or Petty can be there their future or not. McCown will not be as disruptive as Fitzy if he's pulled out in the middle of game should Bowles decide to make a change > and you can bet your pigskin it's going to happen. Fitz cried and whined when he was first pulled from a game - Josh won't be doing that - he's just giddy to get paid to play at his age. If they feel they need to move on without these 2, then lets hope their bad enough to grab one of the top ones in the 2018 draft.

mattyd99 likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

McCown vs. Hasselblack:

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshmccown/2505076/careerstats

vs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/1575/matt-hasselbeck

While their stats are close. Hasselblack played FAR more games, and was SUCCESSFUL. Not to mention that Andrew Luck was a consensus #1 pick, while Hackenberg is as questionable 2nd round pick. That combination was FAR FAR better than what the Jets currently have.

17. 101GangGreen101

What if I told you the best QB coaches are the ones that were career backups? Who cares about statistics, it's about the value you bring to the locker room / film room. That does not get measured in stats.

The fact that the Colts brought in Hasselbeck solidifies my argument even MORE.

18. ColoradoContrails

I get that. As the saying goes: "Them that can DO; them that can't TEACH". But $6 million plus millions more for incentives is an awfully expensive teacher when he has no successful students on his resume.

19. 101GangGreen101

It'll be worth it should one of the youngins actually does something decent on the field.

FJF likes this.
  20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Fanaca left after the first year. Damien Woody and Tony Richardson leaving, and Mangold getting hurt, and it was over right then and there...Sancho was lost

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.