Cimini on ESPN Radio: Petty's days could be numbered

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 20, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hoyer probably demanded the opportunity to start, or with the Jets, he may have even demanded that he be named the starter or may have wanted more than $6 million due to the situation with the Jets.

If you're right, then not only are Bowles and Woody bigger morons than I dreamed possible, but Mac is too, and to hell with all of them and this team.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Daniel was signed to $7 million/yr to be a back up for the Eagles within the last few years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

ha prepare to be disappointed. There is no way in hell they wined and dined and signed 38 year old Mcclown at $6 mill per, to be the assigned clipboard holder. If that's the case, wait until nobody signs him and offer him a assistant QB coach job at $150K when he retires.

hackenberg doesn't go from 4th string to anointed starter. and if they liked petty they don't bring in mcclown, they just play him.

Mcclown will be the opening day starter and he will start until he gets hurt.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why is this a "rule"? I can see if you had a HOF or even near-HOF QB who had McCown's temperament and team-player attitude. but while McCown obviously has the latter, he certainly is NOT the former. Believing that having a vet QB is mandatory, then requires you to sign a vet - even a crappy, over the hill vet, to satisfy the"rule" . But what if you didn't believe this was a rule? What if instead of signing a crappy, OTH, vdet QB, you drafted a guy who has a chance to be your FQB, and you threw him into a HTH competition with Pettenberg? I know, heresy! The Football Gods would curse the franchise! Oh, yeah, the franchise is already cursed, so why not try something different?

I suppose that if you HAD to sign a vet, McCown is the lesser of evils, but think about that statement: Lesser of evils. Meaning the choices are ALL evil. So why not choose the opposite? The other big issue with this signing is that it gives Bowles a crutch that he will almost certainly lean on at the expense of developing Petty or Hack, and even worse, what if he actually leads to 5 or 6 wins? Bye bye top 3 draft pick and everyone's "guaranteed" FQB!

It's certainly not the worst move the Jets have ever made, but I'm not in favor of it.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Yes I'm a little frustrated but my comment wasn't based on the denominators that you mentioned above, which by the way I know are true.

My comment was based on Mac stating that part of his philosophy is to draft olinemen in the later rounds and develop them, while I don't have a problem with grabbing a project in the later rounds, its just not a sound long term strategy for building an offensive line that is supposed to protect a young QB that has his hands full as it is trying to run the offense.

If he does it again this year, it will show a flawed philosophy in his approach to building a team, and the jets will not be in a position to establish a foundation for this rebuild they are attempting.

No QB will develope behind a bad offensive line, Petty, Hack, and whoever they draft in the 5th round this year will have no chance unless Mac puts together an oline that can anchor the offense.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Firing Bowles after last year would have lead to an exhaustive analysis (witch hunt) over why the 2016 Jets crashed and burned. Nobody would have come out of that looking good and nobody of any substance would have been willing to take the HC job until Macc was fired, likely after the 2017 season at that point.

Better by far to stay the course through 2018 and see if these two are capable of pulling off the necessary gut renovation.

If you want two reasons why 2015 and 2016 both happened the way they did you cannot get better choices than Darrelle Revis and Ryan Fitzpatrick and one of those is on Woody Johnson and the other is on Mike Maccagnan. Firing Todd Bowles would have just made the other two look bad.

FJF, 101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Vet QBs get signed all of the time to play mentor. Matt Hasselbeck with the Colts for example. He's not a HOF QB. Sounds like you are disappointed the Jets won't draft a QB @ 6.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying brad but going 4-12 again, this time while Woody is over in the UK sippin tea doesn't exactly make them look good either

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There is a God in Heaven!! Petty iz Freed!!!

10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Regarding Fitzpatrick, the reason it would be Mac's fault is not that he resigned Fitz in 2016. Bowles, the team and most of the fanbase wanted Fitz back in the building. The flaw was in Mac signing Fitz to only a one year deal at a low rate and not including an option for a second year. So he overpaid Fitz, but we are probably talking $4-5 million, considering a 2017 option would have had an escalator for good play in 2015.

11. Br4d

If they go 4-12 again we'll all be screaming. They need to go 2-14. Gotta be bad enough to get the golden ticket if it is there. Being just bad and getting the 4 or 5 will blow chunks.

McCown 0-4
    Hackenberg 0-8
    Petty to mop up with no more than 2 late wins.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

A good GM sees what Fitz truly is and doesn't even bother negotiating in 2016. Mac folded, and the decision to resign Fitz ultimately resides within Mac, not Bowles. Bowles can sit there and pound the table and cry all he wants, but he does nothing but cook, he doesn't buy the groceries. Mac should've told Bowles that we aren't resigning Fitz and would rather go with a different option.

It was worth the shot, I would rather have the #1 pick next season in comparison to this season. Mac and Bowles tried to compete and it burned up.

FJF likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Why do it? Because it's the reasonable, rational thing to do as a professional. You can't have 3 basically inexperienced, unknown quantities at the most important position on the team unless you want to risk the team looking like vintage Kotite. It's just not something a professional would or should do. It's something a fan would do or something maybe an expansion team would do, although most of them would try to avoid that and would seek an experienced player and leader at QB to provide some stability and some semblance of professional play.

Let's say that that Mac did that. Maybe Petty hasn't fully recovered from surgery until TC so is still learning the offense and working his way into playing shape during TC. Although the rookie played in an NFL style offense in college is struggling with learning the offense, adjusting to the speed of the NFL, and reading more complex NFL Ds. That leaves Hack. Hack knows the offense, can read the Ds, but because his fundamentals still aren't solid, his confidence is "iffy" and as a result, he play horribly. What then?

Even if Petty is healthy and wins the competition, all three QBs for one reason or another could struggle badly. Are they then just supposed to suffer through an entire season as a total embarrassment? Are fans supposed to still show up at the stadium and pay the outrageous prices? Are fans supposed to retain their PSLs and season tickets?

A rebuild is different from a tank job. Going with 3 untested QBs would be a tank job and would rightfully have most everyone up in arms...fans, media and the NFL. The circus would be back in full force and the Jets would truly be the laughingstock of the NFL, if not the entire sports world. Think any decent GM candidate or HC candidate would then want to come and work for Woody and the Jets in 2018? I sure as heck don't.

We don't know that Petty or Hack can be developed into the Jets QB of the future. Conversely, one of them could play great and the Jets could win 5-6 games anyway. Why would starting McCown mean that the Jets are going to win 5-6 games? How many games has he won lately? I know that you've done your homework and seen his stats. I understand why you would think that Bowles would start McCown rather than Petty or Hack, but why do you think that would translate to 5-6 wins?

I will say that I like your "out of the box" thinking. The problem is, as we both know it, the NFL doesn't value or reward "out of the box" thinking. That is squelched pretty regularly. It would take a GM with King Kong-sized cojones to do something like that. It would be career suicide if it didn't work.

#93 NCJetsfan, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  14. NCJetsfan

I agree that Mac is going to have to change his philosophy somewhat at least until the Jets find their QB of the future. I agree with you that it would be very difficult, if not impossible for a young QB to develop with a questionable/weak OL. I think Mac will have to build that solid OL first, get his QB and then, in the future he can draft developmental prospects.

The problem is that this isn't a good draft for OL in general, and pretty awful for LTs. I hope that Mac is strongly pondering ways in which he could get Ramczyk, Bolles or Garcia, and has picked out several Cs and OGs that he can add to improve the depth and competition as well. At the same time however, he can't ignore other critical needs on the team like pass-rushing OLB, CB, FS, TE and RB. He's between a rock and a hard place, and there are no easy answers. He definitely has his work cut out for him.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

In retrospect, Fitz was a hand grenade. If Mac didnt resign him, the Jets bad season would have been placed at his feet and the dynamic would have been more Fire Mac/Keep Bowles than it is Keep Mac/Fire Bowles.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think everyone's expecting 4-12 this year so the outrage will be dampened. the 5-11 off of the 10-6 is what has the villagers lighting torches.

101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  17. Br4d

The Jets signed Beachum. That was their admission that a LT was not happening in the draft this year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

lol you can't fault Mac for using mid to late picks to grab OL and then say he can't do the same when this draft is weak on offensive linemen. Gues what? He's likely gonna be grabbing mid round OL talent because this is where it would grade out in this draft.

Pags2112, Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

It could mean that, but not necessarily. It would be understandable if it did, since this isn't a very good class for LTs.

It could just mean that the Jets won't HAVE to draft an LT. It's just an insurance policy. Beachum signed what, a 2-year contract? Mac could easily draft one of Ramczyk, Bolles, or Garcia and have them compete with Beachum at LT or compete for the starting RT job. If Beachum doesn't play well or is re-injured. He'd have options at LT, especially if Ijalana is starting at RT. Garcia might need a year in an NFL weight room and training regimen before he's ready to play anyway.

20. NCJetsfan

Thanks. That explains the $6 million figure for McCown. It's not starting money. It's backup money in today's NFL.