Cimini on ESPN Radio: Petty's days could be numbered

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 20, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

What is a stopgap in QB speak? Someone that prevents the QB your evaluating to be your franchise QB from getting reps? Makes alot of sense.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Whats a true evaluation will be subjective and debated around here based on individual views.if petty gets cut in t.c. pro petty will claim he never got a true evaluation while anti (neutral) petty will claim he didn't do enough in practice to warrant anymore of a look.
    i think 3 training camps is enough personally.

Pags2112, 101GangGreen101 and JDeacon like this.
  3. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Exactly this. If we draft a qb in the 3rd round or lower and Petty cannot beat out McCown in TC he should be cut. 3 nfl offseasons is enough time to pour into a developmental qb to know if the guy has what it takes or not. I am not exactly sure what the pro petty crowd sees in him.

While his sample size is small when you compare all the preseason tape and the 6 games he played in he never had a "Wow" moment or flashed for a few plays that showed off the potential for elite qb play. This TC has to be his last chance to prove to the coaching staff that he has what it takes to become a franchise qb and flash skills he has not shown on the field up to this point.

Pags2112 and FJF like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Of course they don't. It's just a wasted roster spot. Everyone knows that NFL starting QBs NEVER get injured.

Pags2112 likes this.
  5. PulseJet

The Jets just paid a 37 year old QB $6 million to put up the same numbers Petty put up in his first 6 games. What is the logic in that?

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Headline when Petty is released:

PETTY'S TIME WITH JETS OVER

7. PulseJet

The New York Jets. The place where young QB's are chewed up and spit out.

8. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Never underestimate the Jets

9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Scrubs to scrubs, and bust to bust.
    *pours liquor*

10. PulseJet

The "beat out" thing is very subjective when you are relying on Bowles to make the assessment. He will go with the veteran.

11. NCJetsfan

Red, I know you're frustrated, but you know that what you posted isn't true. You're better than this.

Mac tried to sign the two best, young FA OGs in 2015, but neither wanted to live or play on the East Coast. He tried to trade up for Laremy Tunsil in the draft last year. Carpenter wasn't an old, rehabbing OL.

Now, I agree that he should have done everything he could to have taken an LT in the 2015 draft. He should have maneuvered somehow and taken Spriggs. In hindsight, that was a mistake. In hindsight. Perhaps he tried and couldn't find a trade partner or other teams wanted too much or were willing to give too little, and Mac thought he could find one in this draft. After all, we all know that drafts aren't usually this bereft of LT talent. Perhaps an older, more experienced GM would have known that this draft was going to be weak at LT and made something happen regardless of cost. Mac is young, and like it or not, novice GMs are going to make mistakes. There's no way they can know everything, be prepared for every eventuality, foresee every problem and its solution, and/or know best how to handle every situation that arises. They do the best they can.

You and I are older, have seen more NFL action, and would have done things differently and had different priorities. That doesn't make Mac wrong. The Jets had a ton of holes and were getting killed or little production at multiple positions. We knew he wasn't going to be able to fix everything in 1-2 offseasons. Even experienced GMs have to sometimes try a bandaid and hope that it will work for the length of time needed. Brick's play declined rapidly and then he quit at the last minute. I think Clady was a good move. It didn't work out, but Mac was smart enough to draw up a contract that the Jets could get out of without costing a lot against the cap if Clady didn't work out. Beachum may be terrible this season, but he could revert back to the form he showed with the Steelers. He was the best younger FA LT in a weak FA LT class. Again, Mac signed him to a reasonable deal where if Beachum doesn't play well, the Jets can move on without big cap ramifications.

IMO he has done the best he could under the circumstances. LTs don't grow on trees and teams aren't willing to part with their LTs or young LT prospects unless they're older and expensive and they need cap space, the player is coming off a major injury, or has off-field character issues. I don't agree with using 1st round draft picks on OGs or Cs. I just don't. It's not necessary to use picks that high on interior OL to get a very good OL. OTs I think almost have to come from the first 2 rounds. If your team has playmakers on both sides of the ball and your cap is in good shape, then fine, use a 2nd or even a 1st round pick on an OG or C, but if you invest too many high picks on the OL, you want have good playmakers because there is only so much cap space, and the Jets can't count on having a cheap QB forever.

Red Menace and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Just because Petty isn't "elite" (we knew that when we drafted him in the 4th round), doesn't mean that the can't be a very good QB for the Jets. It isn't "elite" or nothing. We've had shit QB play for years. Competent, steady, smart QB play would be a huge improvement for this team.

You seem not to realize or have forgotten that Petty was injured early and missed a big chunk of the season and practice early, and then had to play with few practice reps. No one is going to do well under those circumstances.

Fitz played like shit and then Geno got hurt quickly. Gailey didn't help Petty with an offense designed to help him succeed. Bowles didn't want to play him and I'm sure did nothing to help prepare him, build him up or help him succeed with his ultra-conservatism. Petty has talent and is smart. He's a hard worker, has great character and is a leader. He brought a lot of energy to the offense when he played last year.

13. NCJetsfan

Pulse, there was no way the Jets were going to go into the season with Petty, Hack and a rookie. That's a QB who has started 6 games and is coming off a major injury requiring surgery, a QB who has never played a down in the NFL and who still may have problems with basic fundamentals, and a rookie. That's totally unreasonable and unrealistic. That's a fan talking who doesn't care about the team's record and who would be all too happy to tank for a QB in 2018, not an NFL GM. He would be laughed out of the league and never work in the NFL again after a move like that.

Sanchez doesn't have the intelligence to mentor a duck. Just because McCown hasn't been very good on the field or played all that much, doesn't mean that he can't or won't be a good mentor. He has seen a lot, played for a lot of teams and in a lot of offenses. He can help the young QBs with the mental preparation part for coming in cold and having to play, with how to study film, and a number of finer points on offense and reading Ds. McCown has made the most of limited talent. He's supposedly smart and a leader. If he wasn't, I doubt he'd still be in the NFL, even with the lack of QBs.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

GREAT POST! Spot on. I couldn't agree more.

nicg4360 likes this.
  15. PulseJet

I have never heard any QB even once state that McCown was a good mentor. I have read Dak Prescott multiple times praise Sanchez as a mentor. With respect I'll take Dak's opinion over yours any day of the week. Given that Sanchez was once a rookie QB in NYC I'm sure he would have a wealth of info to give to Petty and Hack. Where to wipe their boogers, why its not kosher to eat a hot dog during the game, why its important to warm up as a starter even if you dont intend to play in the Snoopy Bowl... you know, things like that.

You have a point re. bringing in a veteran. I understand that. But why bring in such a mediocre one and why pay him $6 million guaranteed? And why does bringing McCown in mean cutting a QB that the team has been grooming for 2 years? Its insane.

16. NCJetsfan

How does it say that? I don't see or understand that at all.

McCown isn't someone that will demand to start or whose past play will demand that he start. He's not one who will complain or cause problems if he isn't playing. He is here as a leader and mentor and as insurance, i.e., to play a game or two at the beginning of the season if Petty or Hack aren't adjusting to the new offense and ready to play.

Mac isn't stupid, and surely Bowles isn't stupid enough to think that he is going to start McCown for 16 games this season, much less do well starting McCown for 16 games. Hopefully, Mac and Bowles have talked about this season with Woody and they're all on the same page. If so, Bowles has to know that since the team is rebuilding, their #1 priority is to find out if Petty and Hack can be their QB of the future and/or will be on the roster next season, and has probably been told not to count on starting McCown (or whoever the veteran QB they acquired).

Dibben likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Yes, I do. Unless Mac and Woody are both imbeciles (we know Woody is), Mac, Woody and Bowles have to have sat down and discussed this season and come up with a plan for the future. Since the team has shed older, injured and expensive players and is going with a youth movement, they have to know that they're not going to win many games. If they were going to count on winning games and being truly competitive, they would have kept Mangold and signed Cutler, traded for Cousins, or signed one of the other younger, better FA QBs. Especially signing McCown, they know they're not gonna win a lot of games with him starting.

Therefore, the sole purposes of this season are to determine if Petty or Hack can be their QB of the future and to develop the young players and find out who is going to help them going forward. I can't believe that even Bowles is so stupid that he would go against the grain and plan to start McCown each week and expect to win and keep his job. IMO the only way Bowles can keep his job is develop the young players, determine who can help them going forward, and fix his own issues of not having the team prepared to play each week, not being able to make in-game adjustments, and not being able to manage the game or clock. He has to get the team playing tough, smart, mistake-free football.

I think McCown primarily was brought here as a mentor. After all, he has played for 8 different NFL teams, been in a number of different offenses, and seen and experienced a lot. He can help Petty and Hack with film study, reading Ds, and some of the more subtle aspects of the offense they use. Working in tandem with the QB Coach, it should be able to speed up both Petty's and Hack's progress.

I think McCown only starts if Petty and Hack aren't healthy or haven't picked up the new offense to start the season or they both play a number of games and look horrible.

Pags2112 likes this.
  18. PulseJet

I would think you are right, except the Jets paid this guy $6 million guaranteed.

19. NCJetsfan

I've seldom heard of any QB praising a mentor. That doesn't mean that they didn't have mentors they valued.

Regarding Sanchez, I was being silly and using hyperbole. I'm glad he helped Dak. Maybe he's not as dumb as I thought he was.

Why such a mediocre one? In questioning why they are paying him so much, you provide part of your answer. QB salaries have gotten completely ridiculous. Glennon getting what he did, Osweiler last year, and others is completely absurd. I'm sure the Jets wanted no part of tying up that kind of money in a mediocre QB.

I have to believe that Mac, Woody and Bowles sat down and discussed the upcoming season and created a plan for this season and going forward. The #1 priority for this season has to be in developing Petty and/or Hack (if they can be developed), and if not, finding that out so that they can make plans to get a QB in next year's draft. The #2 priority has to be in developing the other young players on the roster and determining who can help them going forward. What would the point have been of bringing in Cutler? Chase Daniel, who has no playing experience, either? Foles? Hoyer?

I have to believe (otherwise, I'll lose ALL faith in Mac and this franchise and be done with it) that the plan is to let Petty and Hack duel it out in TC, and the winner will start and the loser be the backup. McCown will hold the clipboard, help them learn the new offense, help them with film study, and some of the subtler nuances of reading Ds, etc. He will play only if both fail miserably for a number of games or if neither is ready to play when the season opens. In the latter case, if he starts to begin the season, I would expect him to play no more than 1-2 games, and then either Petty or Hack start. Having played for 8 different teams with a number of different offenses, McCown has seen and experienced a lot. He's supposedly smart and a leader. What better way to help a rookie OC, two young QBs, a new offense, and a QB Coach who hasn't worked in the league in 4 years, than bring in a veteran QB who is a leader and has seen a lot?

20. NCJetsfan

QB salaries have gotten ridiculous. That is probably not far from the going rate for experienced backups, and then once you factor in the cost of living in the NY/NJ metro area, having to play for the Jets (and not a winner), and then probably get little opportunity to play and have to sit and mentor two young QBs, it's not out of the question.

If I'm wrong, and the plan is to start him all 16 games, then I'll be as upset as you, and that will be it for me with this team.