Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

What I take issue with are absolutes, arguing solely on opinion, ignoring evidence that contradicts their opinion and cherry picking stats. There are a number of posters that argue over and over based solely on opinion while attacking other posters. These essentially seem like spam posts to me as they are repetitive and often argumentative. Often times there are very good posters that talk in absolutes and do not acknowledge a possibility outside their opinion. All of the big 3 QBS have flaws that could implode and destroy their career. I think most people here recognize this. There is a legitimate arguable reason for any of the top 3. What I think is quite different is the quality of the arguments. There are some really wonderful posts that are well researched with tons of great info and hard work that completely disagree with my conclusions but I love those posts as the work and the reasoning that goes into those is way more important, at least to me, than the conclusion.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

How many draftable prospects did Wentz play with? Allen did not light up the Mountain West conference because Josh Allen was not capable of it. Sure he makes some spectacular plays, but he makes many more spectacular misses.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

people sadly confuse accuracy with consistency and completion rate. Allen has issues being consistent (dead on accurate pass followed up by an overthrown ball) which is largely due to mechanics (and a poor o-line leading to "all arm" throws as he runs for his life) He isn't inaccurate at all, If you watch him he's very good at leading the WR and throwing into small windows. that's what accuracy is. People often confuse completion % with accuracy, which is false

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Again, the analytics say you are incorrect.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I just can't get down with the bolded statement even a little bit. When I watch him, I see unbelievable inaccuracy that has absolutely nothing to do with the receiver. He's Hackenberg-like on short throws. I mean the tape is out there... he's horribly inaccurate.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I've watched several of his games. He's a wildly incosistant QB with some very prominant accuracy issues. Sure the numbers back that up, but its not at all what I base my opinion of him off of.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The meme that "Allen is throwing into tighter windows" completely ignores the fact that Allen is the one most often CAUSING those tighter windows because he stares down his primary receiver all the time. Go watch the tape, since you completely disregard the metrics. I don't know if it's a "chicken or the egg" situation, in that Allen simply believes he can jam any throw in, or if he HAS to jam every throw in because he locks onto his intended receiver allowing the defender to close in before the ball is even thrown. In the pros this won't work for him.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

What interests me here is that Mayfield was so high in attempts into tight windows which seems to contradict the he only throws to wide open WRs.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jeffrey Essary@JeffreyEssary

This is odd. I thought Mayfield was a spread QB who only threw to wide open receivers. [​IMG]

Numbers and charts from @BenjaminSolak and @NDTScoutingLLC

9:15 PM - Apr 8, 2018

While analytics should not be relied upon it can be used to explain or somewhat confirm. For example it could be used to explain that Allen was not as inaccurate as his completion percentage. But when you look at WR drops, throwing into tight windows, throwing with a clean pocket, percentage of fault of incompletions it all points the opposite way that his incompletion percentage overestimated his actual accuracy.

9. GasedAndConfused

No idea about wentz or what he played with, but he didn't' exactly light it up in college either. He only threw a total of 612 passes in 4 years and 5000 yards. his measurable are also very comparable to allen which is why he shot up draft boards. 6'5" 4.77 40, 10 inch hands, 237lbs. 40 wonderlic. prototype QB like Allen.

10. GasedAndConfused

PFF was the one who said mayfield threw into open windows 80% of the time, highest of any QB in the draft so who are we to believe? They compared it to petty when he came out who they said looked great on film, but scared people because he only had a total of 25 throws that were "NFL" throws on film

Noam likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

The tape I watched didn't show any of that. Of course he had a few misfires (like all QBs) but no more then any other Qbs in the draft. If he did, nobody would be considering him for the top pick.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think PFF's 80% stat is called into question because they contradicted it later in their version of throwing into tight window stat. But certainly PFF's stat of 80% contradicts the other stats I posted where 21% were into tight windows the 2nd highest of any of the draftable QBs.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

I agree he's incosistent, but that's not inaccurate. the consistency can be fixed. it's all mechanics. same goes for darnold and his turnover. lazy sloppy mechanics caused them, easily fixable. What you can't fix or teach is raw talent, size, and arm strength

14. BroadwayAaron

Follow this thread and tell me you don't see a horribly inaccurate QB:

15. ColoradoContrails

First. "mechanics" aren't always fixable...it depends on the individual and how hard they work at it. With an athlete like Allen, who has relied solely on his arm strength for most of his career, these mechanical issues are deeply ingrained. It will not be an overnight fix.

Second, the "running for his life" excuse is just that. He usually chose to take off running - often AWAY from the LOS - instead of moving around the pocket to buy time and go through his progressions. Instead, he bailed and when the edge was closed off, he ran AWAY from the LOS and any receivers, and had to try and find somebody open in "panic" mode, and tried to gun the ball to him, throwing across his body because that's the only way without stopping and resetting his feet that he could get the throw off.

Watch the tape. Much of Allen's problems are of his own making. He's relatively "untrained" because of how he came to this point - no dedicated QB coach in high school; undrafted; played at a J.C., and finally winds up in a conference with mediocre competition that his arm strength could often dominate, which did nothing to force him to develop the other skills needed to play QB. He has a lot of raw talent, but it's still mostly raw, and no guarantee it can be molded into a pro-ready form.

NCJetsfan and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

Exactly my point. every "analysts" contradicts themselves and each other, which really makes me question the source and accuracy of them. Yet people here quote them like it's law. that's why I don't rely on the stats i'd rather spend hours watching film of them play (which i did) and make my own assessment, then to copy and paste stats from some article

Noam likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

I could cherry pick plays to make any QB look like ass or look like a HOFer. College and NFL level

18. ColoradoContrails

Regarding the bold: See Hackenberg, Christian.

"Mechanics" are not always fixable, and even when they are, it's not an easy process...it might take years. Jets fans won't tolerate another project.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

did you watch his pro day? most of his mechanics were already fixed from the end of the season to his pro day. Now give him a year of learning in the NFL without playing and by 2019 if he follows the same trajectory he did from EOS to pro day, it's going to be a knock out of the park

Not at all, i've seen him manipulate the pocket when he could, but when you have pressure right up the middle not much you can do

20. BroadwayAaron

And that's how I know you didn't bother to click the link. It's not just bad throws.

NCJetsfan likes this.