Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Agree on Allen. While i want Mayfield, I am excited as long as we do not take Allen. My buggest fear is taking Allen. At least with Hack we did not have to suffer watching him play. We will not be so fortunate if we draft Allen.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Excellent.
    I haven't gotten around to any that. I used to, not so much anymore. I tried to watch his games a couple of times but missed them also.
    I'll get a much closer look as we move forward. I'm much more familiar with Baker and Rosen, and to a lesser degree Darnold.
    Hopefully by the time of the draft all four guys will be more appealing.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only thing you cannot provide is his history of being a successful quarterback.

4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

None of us know which QB they are aiming for. Also none of our jobs are on the line. They have way more info than we do. Let them make the call

MJK and jets21027 like this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

How are you defining success?

Would an 0-6 road record qualify as successful?

legler82 likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's not allen. no way mac traded up to 3 for allen, he would have been there at 6 same for mayfield. the only team taking on of those 2 QBs in the top 4 are cleveland. after this trade if rosen and darnold go 1 and 2, we are fucked

alleycat9 likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Which QB do you want?

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Are you trying to defllect the argument? I'm talking about Allen. Does he have an 0-6 record on the road?

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sure..MM said he LIKED Trubisky ..went nowhere

He's playing close to the vest and lots of misinformation ..I think Big target is Rosen /Mayfield

NCJetsfan and JetLifeLo like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Allen Mason Rudolf Luke Falk vs Rosen Darnold Mayfield ..it's middle tier vs top tier

My goodness..you guys know Mac ALSO tried to get pick # 1 but could not make THAT deal..and you are NOT hustling to get to the TOP of the draft order for Josh Allen ..?????

No ..the Jets are FINALLY marking the the BEST QBs in the draft as the jewel in the rebuild..this is top tier all the way..bank on it!

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is obvious to me..

There isn’t a chance in my eyes that Mayfield was ever a true consideration.

Mac wants sound, clean, good for the locker room kinda players. Mayfield has exhibited very much the opposite.

I can’t believe how much hype the media portrays with Mayfield as well. Look at the talent on the roster, look how open these receivers are against the competition he faced, the scheme was also very QB friendly as well. It baffles me how many people truly think Mayfield is going to be the next Drew Brees.

On this board, I am baffled by the hate towards a QB like Josh Allen, in comparison to Mayfield.

Is it because of Sanchez, Geno, Hack picks?

I think it’s more knee jerk and fear based, more than anything else.

I don’t get it.

Allen is going Is going to be a stud. IMO

He is much better than the completed ball %, I suppose this is why people are so turned off by him?

I think his game translates second best to the NFL out of the top QBs, if not first. He’s talked about as a top guy for a reason. I hope people aren’t just looking at the stats and writing the guy off.

Watch some of his games, watch what he can do, see how good he really is for yourself. I would recommend that to anyone.

By far my favorite QB in this draft.

FJF and alleycat9 like this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

Needless to say, you Mayfield fans, are about to be heartbroken.

If we pick Mayfield I will cry myself to sleep. I just think he’s going to fail, badly, in the NFL.

Nothing about his game gets me excited, at all. Not even the way he carries himself on and off the field.

I can’t see it. At all.

13. HomeoftheJets

The most important thing about evaluating Allen is to stay away from the highlight reels. Highlight reels show the really good and really bad plays, but most plays aren't TDs, bombs, or interceptions. They're the ordinary 10 yard throws, and that's where Allen is weak.

NoodleArm and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

What do you mean? We have 4 QB's

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He can’t pass on Allen... the kid has to much talent

BacktoQueens and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

One things for sure.

The Jets put themselves in position to land either Rosen, Darnold or Barkley. These guys all would have been gone by 6.

dogg and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

Ummmm... are you sure about that?

Seriously. Can you direct me to the game that made you feel he was super weak with 10-20 yard throws?

Go watch him against Texas State, Colorado, Air Force...

Those are just a few that display his short game.

Notice where he puts the ball, how many drops there is, if it’s on the money, if it’s catchable.

Sure, he has a bad throw from time to time but it’s overblown and scouts and GMs know it. He is highly regarded for a reason.

He is making throws that good NFL receivers would catch. He didn’t have that luxury at Wyoming.

His deep balls that are “overthrown” are literally where they should be in terms of your typical NFL receiver, hell its better than most starting NFL Qb’s now.

His intermediate throws are often exactly where it should be. With tight windows, tight coverage, on the inside or outside of the receiver, right on that cusp, he does it well. Unfortunately those catches are extremely hard, NFL caliber catches, again, Allen didn’t have that benefit.

Pay attention to the plays he creates and how his offensive line often lets him down, still makes the play, despite the bad OL play.

A lot of variables at play with him and I think he transitions immediately in he NFL. His learning curve will not be huge, his footwork at times, is his biggest flaw, but it’s nowhere near as bad as the likes of someone like Lamar Jackson. Allen still has better footwork than Hack coming out of college. By a good amount.

It’s more of a base thing, not timing thing, so it should be fairly easy to correct.

His throwing motion is the best in the draft. Biggest arm, easily. Best throws on the run. Best deep ball. Is far more capable of making those big time NFL throws then anyone else in the draft.

I’m extremely high on Allen. Mayfield isn’t even in the same ball park as Allen. I would put money on it. Easily.

Again though. Main point.

Short to Intermidiate throws are not his weakness. From the film I’ve watched so far. He’s had more legit down field throw misses, then short to intermidiate throws. Which is to be expected, lower success percentage throws should miss more than hit.

He still hit a shit load of them though.

Any particular game I should reference?

18. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Excellent post!! I agree with most of your analysis, Mayfield isn't on the Jets radar, he might be available at #6
    (spread QB playing in Big 12), Baker is only QB I don't want....

1) Rosen is most Pro-Ready...my 1st choice...
    2) Allen is getting too much crap on this site.....could be next Wentz/Big Ben...if Mac didn't screw up on Hack...people wouldn't hate..
    3) Take Darnold...let him sit and learn...

19. HomeoftheJets

This in a nutshell. https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PbG...loads/chorus_asset/file/9873249/giphy__2_.gif

If you want to see him play badly, watch him against Iowa, Boise State, and Oregon. And I don't trust the scouts on QBs like Allen. He isn't the first tall pro-style guy with a big arm they've fallen for, and it doesn't usually work out.

blackssmagic likes this.
  20. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Size matters