Christian McCaffery at 6

Discussion in 'Draft' started by abyzmul, Mar 6, 2017.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Take the smartest offensive player available, who can play the most positions.

Yeah, I know, the Jets will be "too smart" to take a player like him that early, and I also know that he will out-produce most of the players taken in the first round even when he's taken in the second round.

This dude should go at 6. Don't fall in love with record combine numbers like a dumbass.

Ask yourself:

Which of these players would you take first given their career production?

Larry Fitz is a no-brainer, but who is next?

[​IMG]

Maybe Cotch?

Wes Welker went undrafted that year.

PulseJet likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

McCaffery is good, but if you want him I would trade down. Can add picks and still get him.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

it has been a while since we had that w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ scrappy versatile player

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As you know I've been beating the drum for them to take Mahomes or Watson at 6, and if not one of them, then Fournette or maybe Cook, but I have to say after watching the Combine, and thinking things over, I can see your POV on McCaffrey. I have to admit that I have little warning bells going off around Fournette - nothing that says "No way!", but the ankle issue, and going to the Combine 10 pounds heavier than his normal weight, I don't know, just gives me pause. That said, IF he is fully healthy, and IF he can carry that weight, he is a monster, and would add a whole new dimension to the Jets attack. But, getting back to McCaffrey, he does seem to have the whole package, and he has a great pedigree, and maybe most of all, he seems to me like the exact type of player that BB would draft and then kill us with for the next 5 - 10 years, so maybe if nothing else we take him as much to keep BB away from him as helping us directly.

Definitely food for thought.

#4 ColoradoContrails, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

To be fair, this is some arbitrary draft class.

6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

McCaffrey is the type of player that does as much off the field as he does on. By this I mean he's sort of a high achieving prick and it's a good thing. He holds others accountable all the time and expects them to always work their hardest and to do their best. It's grating on others at times, but exactly what the Jets need imo. He's going to end up the most versatile and best offensive playmaker in this draft too...
    He's a bigger, better and more explosive Danny Woodhead. Some compare him to Jamal Charles.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Why? When he will be there at #39

I'm a fan of C Mac and would love it at 39!

If you look at the numbers it's more probable then not that he will be the 3rd RB off the board and in the past 10 years how many times has there been 3 RBs taken with the first 40 picks?

8. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't take him at 6, but no way is he there at 39. He'll go in the top 25 for sure.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Hmmm 3 RBs in the top 25

I just don't see it.. possible but not likely IMO

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Trade down and then back into the first if need be. Get either OT or McCaffrey in Rd 1 and Watt with the next pick.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Imo, McAffery will be one of the "surprises" in that he will be the second RB off the board after Fournette. People are completely taking for granted that Cook is #2 but somehow I suspect he will drop a bit. Maybe not out of the first, but after McAffery.

I love McAffery as a propsect and would be thrilled if he ended up on the Jets. I personally favor OJ Howard, but would not be opposed to this.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

All Gas No Shake and almbleamal like this.
  12. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

if we drafted him late round 1 or if he lasted to us in round 2 yes, but i don't think we have the O-line to pick a RB at 6 overall and for that player to make a huge impact the way Zeke did in Dallas.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I can't get over the abysmal 10 repetitions on the bench press. Every repetition was a struggle for him.

Furthermore, that is a big contract for a guy that could probably be had at the top of round 2. Would much rather have Cook at 6 if we were going RB.

Despite everything said, I feel like if we stay at 6, we will take a player for the secondary.

Pags2112 and boozer32 like this.
  14. STARoSCREAM

This is where, I feel, the Combine is blown out of proportion. McCaffery isn't a power back, so does it really matter how many reps he did?

Honey Badger over in Arizona did EXTREMELY poor on bench and is a very good player.

Jared Allen only did 13 (if memory serves) at a very physical position that requires a bench-press movement and had an excellent career.

For McCaffery, I'd be more concerned with shuttle, 40, 3 cone and my main point ALWAYS is film against good college teams.

BomberJet likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

don't let Christian McCaffery catch you saying that :D

McCafferty is motivated as hell to get rid of that stereotype ... almost makes you want to draft him for sure. Dat scrappiness, DAT MOTIVATION

All Gas No Shake, FJF and xxedge72x like this.
  16. xxedge72x

McAffery is a mismatch RB, not nearly as dependent on line quality as Fournette will be.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

As long as it's not Marshon "Dee Milliner pt 2" Lattimore or any other cornerback. It needs to be safety and safety only if it's a DB. Lattimore has had hamstring issues his entire career.

18. STARoSCREAM

True. And I don't think our o-line is crap either.

I'm just concerned with taking a RB at 6 overall. Although I am not against the pick, just wary. Long-term trauma of being a Jets fan at draft time.

19. xxedge72x

My dream scenario (thus completely unrealistic) is Jets trade back for picks, trade Richardson for picks, take Howard with the later pick, then move up with the 2nd round pick back into 1st for McAffery.

I'm having fantasies about what the Jets offense would look like having both of those guys included with our young receiver group.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He better hope the patriots don't take him them.