Chido Awuzie.......My Favorite CB in this draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Mar 9, 2017.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I love this player, he so impressive and Colorado's best player last season. He won't be drafted in Round 1, but should be.

I'd have no issue drafting him in Rd 2. This Kid is going to be a star in the NFL. He plays like a SS, but he's very good in coverage too.

BacktoQueens and boozer32 like this.
  2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

He might slip to the 3rd but thats no slight to him theres just so many good corners Moreau, Jackson and White all have improved their stock along with the Ohio State and Washington CBs the only ones who have slipped ironically are both Florida CBs. Awuizies a good one i hope he's on the board at 3 though because i still think there will be starters there in the 3rd for us to select.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He looked terrible down the stretch of the season. Sucked at the Senior bowl and is probably not even in the top 15 CBs in this class. If we trade back in round 5 and get him there fine but before that, we should pass

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

No he didn't, he was Colorado's best player. You need to look at his career closer, he easily one of the best CBs in this draft.

Tony Fort Laud posting nonsense, not a surprise.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

Born and raised in Brooklyn, After my years in the service I moved to Levittown, was at Hofstra for practices for years. Now I'm happily retired, living beach front in sunny South Florida and still a long suffering Jet Fan.

Similar assessment can be found here but he was ranked 22. I think he is a little higher but not close to top 10.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017CB.php
    22[​IMG] Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
    1. Height: 6-0. Weight: 205.
      Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
      Projected Round (2017): 4-6.
      3/4/17: On the year, Awuzie notched 65 tackles with 12 passes broken up, one interception and four sacks. He played well at times for the Buffaloes, but got exposed late in the season. Awuzie earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl, where he didn't really impress.

9/3/16: Awuzie was a superb defender for Colorado last year, but went largely unnoticed playing for the Buffaloes. He had 84 tackles with 12 for a loss, four sacks, seven passes broken up and two interceptions on the year.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I 'm a suffering Jet fan as long as you. I was a season Ticket holder at Shea for many years. WW85........Wesley Walker, the youngsters on this site usually don't get the reference.

I follow the draft as close as anyone on this site. I've followed the draft when is was conducted in Hotels in Mid town. One of my hobbies, besides playing Golf as much as possible, is studying College football players.

I don't take other scouting reports too seriously, especially Walter. I've seen most of his games and he has played well he had a real good game against Stanford. IMO, be careful reading other scouting reports, they're not always accurate. Awuzie is at least top 8 corner in this draft, and I like his game a lot better than most rated higher by the pundits. I think he could also convert to SS.

#6 WW85, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

Walker is my all time Favorite Jet. So underrated by most fans. Close to 20 yards per catch career Avg, blind in his left eye. Amazing... Thats likely due to our being in an older demographic then most forum members.
    Some great golfing down here, even mid winter.
    College football is big here, mostly SEC and ACC of course but it's bigger than the NFL, and highschool is not too far behind. I watch alot of NCAA too.
    NFL will gain popularity here as Miami, Tampa, and Jax should all be trending upwards. One knock I have on S.Fla is the band wagon Fan base.
    I agree about scouting reports and I'll include mock drafts and "experts" too
    You must have seen much more film on Awuzie than me. I admittedly really only saw a few of his games, vs Michagian, Oregon , Stanford, UCLA and the bowl game vs Oklahoma. Plus the senior bowl. I was disappointed especially in the senior bowl. Walter was the first site I pulled up after you replied and it was a similar assessment as mine but he was ranked way too low. I don't agree with most "experts " on some of the high rated DBs either, especially the UF guys.
    Now next year, Derwin James is the guy to watch...

8. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

just curiosity can you rank your top 10 corners ww
    just curiosity can you rank your top 10 corners ww85 not just on pure talent but on everything injury risk , durability , character etc.

9. pender30

pender30 Member

I live 10 miles outside Boulder and got to see him play a lot the last few years. He's a great player and everybody here loves him. He had a bad turf toe injury at the end of the year, so I wouldn't put too much stock in how he played in the bowl game. He was trying to play through the injury but he wasn't himself. I'd love to see him on the Jets

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Rueben,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I won't rate the my top 10 CBs, because things are very fluid.

I will say Sidney Jones was my favorite before the injury, I feel terrible for the Kid.

My top CB is 1) Gareon Conley: He does everything very well, not great, but every part of his game is solid. Good tackler, team leader, very, very smart player. Well spoken. If we didn't sign Mo Cla, I would've loved to trade down a few spots and draft him.

2) Chidobe Awuzie: I have been talking about this player for a while and finally the scouts are realizing he's an outstanding talent. One of the smartest players I've ever seen, both on and off the field. Team first player that gives all the credit to his teammates. In fact, a few scouts said after this thread was posted (Daniel Jeremiah) " he is the smartest CB they have spoken with in over a decade". Borderline 1st Rd player and still ascending. Face of Colorado football!!

3) Kevin King: I had him in my Jet's mock in Rd 3 a few months ago, he will probably be a second Rd pick. Decent size, good press corner. Teammate of Sidney Jones.

4) Jourdan Lewis: Perfect slot corner, durability could be a concern.

It's clear, I believe Lattimore and Humphrey aren't going to be successful pros worthy of a 1st Rd pick. I don't hate these players, just way overrated and over valued.

The run on CBs in Rd 1 & 2 is going to be incredible, my guess at least 12 CBs will be drafted.

#10 WW85, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  11. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I think Humphrey will be a good safety in the nfl as cb I don't like him he can't turn his head. I disagree with you on lattimore I love his tape those hips and fast feet man just I don't want him at 6 because of durability.

#11 RubenDias, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  12. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on White from LSU, Tankersley, Quincy Wilson, Adoree Jackson? I could see use taking Jackson in the 2nd for some reason for his dual ability at corner and return man. Not sure I would want us doing that though

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I do like T. White a lot, I should've have rated him ahead of Lewis. If we draft a CB in Rd 2 , White is a possibility. I'm not a fan of Tankersley, he gets burned quite often and not sure he would be physical enough in press coverage. Adoree Jackson is an exciting player that would help in the return game, not as polished CB as others, but he has a high ceiling with continued improvement, his quickness makes up for some of his flaws. I've seen a few of Wilson's games and he had at least 3 holding/infer penalties and also was burned by simple WR fakes, he has a lot of cleaning things up before he's an NFL ready starter. IMO, Wilson is overrated, scouts occasionally give higher grades just because they come from a well known school.

If the Jets still want to draft a CB a possibility in Rd 3, not many people are talking about is Fabian Moreau, a tough physical good coverage corner.

I know a lot of Jet Fans wouldn't agree with this philosophy, but since we have two Rd 3 picks, I'd draft Sidney Jones if he's available in Rd 3. The Jets are building for the future and we could have a steal on 2018's roster, as long as his recovery is 100%, it's a gamble I would take.

The CB with best technique and makes the fewest mistakes is Conley, he's not as rated as high by some because he's not flashy and doesn't have the best 40 time. As I mentioned, he's my favorite CB in this draft.

#13 WW85, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    boozer32, nyjetsmets89 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I saw LSU play several times and also like White a lot.

I saw Clemson more than any other team this season, and I just don't understand the love that Tankersley gets. He does get burned a lot.

I haven't had time to study the other CBs, but plan to make some time to study Conley, Jones, Awuzie, Lattimore, and Jackson prior to the draft.

If you have any links you can recommend, I'd appreciate them. As always, I appreciate your perspectives and insights.

WW85 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I have watched Awuzie play a lot, he is awesome. There is a lot to like about his coverage skills but my favorite thing about him is that he is a great blitzer from the cornerback position and I am a sucker for the corner blitz. He is going to be a good NFL CB.

boozer32, xxedge72x and WW85 like this.
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Awuzie looks awesome!

What do you guys think about taking Sidney Jones with the comp 3rd and stashing him while he recovers from injury? Wasted pick, or good long term investment? ACLs are tricky...

17. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

If we are really tanking this season then I have no problem drafting Jones in the third and stashing him on the PUP list for the season

18. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'm with you 100% on the first 3. Lewis, - not at all w/those durability concerns. 1 of the 3 should be available at 39 unless the run of CBs goes nuts and they are just selected consecutively.