Change at OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by harts24, Jan 10, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think he's accurate short, medium or long. Anything he could control in terms of throwing receivers open, he didn't show. So he's not making anyone better. I actually thought he was better last year throwing the football. He might've learned more, but it didn't translate. Him not getting help is an excuse, but it's no different then Lamar Jackson or a lot of these other qs not named Baker Mayfield and Darnold.

PFF is also calling him a late round prospect:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-josh-allens-2017-season-defined

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Oh goody! Macc can "steal" him like he did Hackenberg!

boozer32 likes this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I read that article. I believe that article also references his accuracy struggles downfield which I talked about. He had better statistics the year prior for sure. Not so coincidentally he also had 4-5 guys on offense that made a NFL roster that year too. No one on this past year's offense is making to the NFL this year. To compare his supporting cast to what Jackson's has or any other QB in the draft has is comical. I see a better QB this year in terms of fundamentals and decision making. He literally cost Wyoming at least 2, maybe more, games in 2016 with HORRENDOUS situational football decisions with the game on the line. He drastically toned down the hero ball this year. The not making anyone better comment I find interesting considering Wyoming won 8 games this year and went to a Bowl game. They accomplished nothing on offense unless he made a play in the air or with his legs. They probably would have won 10 had he not missed those 2 games. They did this with no running game, porous protection and WRs routinely getting no separation. The offense BTW was very aggressive attacking downfield despite lacking the necessary horses. Call it excuses if you want but it's just what I see objectively on tape as he's not my guy. Lastly, the late round comment is easy to say but we all know it's not going to happen. Far worse QBs have been taken in the first round. 1st round grades are generally a combination of measurables, production and potential. Agree with it or not, he has 2 of the 3 in spades!

#63 legler82, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

B.S. There is no way the Jets install another system two years in a row without a long term quarterback. That's asinine. He's at least going to allow Morton to work with whoever they get in the draft.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It shows he struggles in all facets. Short, intermediate and deep. He was outright just a better player last year IMO. I don't think it's comical at all to compare Jackson's situation to Allen's. Jackson perhaps has 1 NFL caliber player on that offense and that was Jaylon Smith. Who else on Louisville was good? He had an awful offensive line, none of them are getting drafted so far. His center was a freshman that routinely gave up pressure up the middle. Louisville plays better competition so is it really comical? That's why Lamar accounts for like 70 percent of Louisville's offense, throwing or running. Close to 4000 yards passing in last year (he almost threw for more yards then Rosen) Rosen doesn't have a great supporting cast either.

Allen perhaps in terms of film and preparation got better. I always go back to the Hawaii game ... The Hawaii game was his best game this year (outside of the bowl game), and he had some great throws, but followed them up with a lot of bad throws. He will go round 1 or round 2 that is for sure, but that doesn't make him a RD 1 QB. Someone will take a chance on him. If we could get a vet like Cousins or Bridgewater then should Allen drop, I would be interested cause he can sit on the bench and develop. Great potential, HUGE risk. You 110 percent better know what you're doing if you draft Allen. Mac gonna bust a nut the min he sees Allen in shorts, its going to be scary.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It is very disconcerting that word got out that the Jets had offered the OC job to Bates while Morton still has the job. Now maybe they thought that Morton would take the OC job with Gruden and the Raiders, but still... Morton wasn't great, but he was better than any OC we've had in quite a while, and if Bowles and Mac are staying for stability, why wouldn't they keep Morton for stability?

The other thing that bothers me is that Morton did a 100 times better at OC than Rodgers did at DC, yet they were considering replacing Morton, but not Rodgers? And what about our STs Coordinator? Doesn't he need to be upgraded?

The only reason I think the Jets should consider replacing Morton would be if they are in love with Allen and they think DeFilippo could work the same magic with Allen as he did with Wentz, or if there was another QB Coach/OC that they thought would do a better job developing a rookie QB. Even then, nothing should leak until that new guy is hired and Morton fired.

almbleamal likes this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Remember that Mheta is the source of the Bates rumor so I wouldn't put too much stock in to it.
    Morton did a decent job , but was a first year OC and it showed. His play calling was suspect at best in several games and situations. He also struggled to get plays called in a timely manner.
    Rodgers may have held the title of DC but this was his first year actually performing as DC. Bowles ran the D prior to this season and finally handed it over to Rodgers.
    The D was ranked 25th and the O ranked 28 in the league this year. Not sure that equates to 100 times better.
    Both have a lot of room to grow and could easily be upgraded.

FJF and Cman68 like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What you said and what they did makes no sense. You have a stud powerful running back the entire New England defense could't stop him. Maybe you should look at the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on Pete Carroll at USC. Watch it to the end and it will explain away your logic.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

It's not my logic its literally what Carroll said.

If they get stuffed on 1st down then they have to burn the timeout and probably have to pass on 2nd down since they can't run and risk getting stuffed again with no timeouts.

Guys aren't mad about the play call but the execution. If Butler doesn't jump that route then no one questions what happened.

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Looks like the Steelers fired Todd Haley. That would be interesting to bring him in but he does take a lot of risks. That probably wouldn't work well with a young offense and rookie learning a system.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That would be just great and typical Jets logic. Doubling down on awful.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Welp, Morton been fired. Now what?

13. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

We celebrate that a loser who admits to giving up on games is eradicated from our franchise.. #timesup

94Abraham and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The guy dug his own grave...live and learn ..what to say and not to say

Cman68 likes this.
  15. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I'm sure his orders were given by "The Toilet"

16. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Arians would be my 1st preference... if not then Defilippo or Haley.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Really? You think Arians retired from HCing to return as OC for the NYJs??

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. abc

abc Well-Known Member

OC is not the HC... I don't see any problem with it.... He and Bowles are Friends & a change of scenery can do the body/mind good.

almbleamal likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jet OC job has to be the least desirable job that's open presently in the NFL. No QB, No System in place, talent still in the developmental stages. Yeah, folks are gonna jump at the chance to be yet another OC for the NYJ's. We're at 6 in the last 7 years now... 3 under Blowes..

For the love of God, PLEASE hire a f'n VP of Football OPS before I fckn die of old age!!!

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if the jets think morton was difficult at times, the last thing they want is haley.