Chances of a FQB in the 2018 draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by STARoSCREAM, Dec 18, 2017.

1. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

boozer32 likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yes because he's no lock to be a "FQB" ;)

I know this a "good" QB class (and definitely a hyped one) but there's not one "Golden Child" of the group. Each have something to doubt / question. Granted I think Rosen is far and above the rest but I dont think the JETS have a chance for him anyway :(

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Ideally, we would want Indy and Houston to lose out and hope the Giants win a game.

So the order would be:

Cleveland
    Indy
    Cleveland (Houston)
    NYG

The Jets may have a trade partner with Indy or Cleveland (for their second 1st round pick).

Best case scenario, I see the Jets drafting 7th and then they would need to move up to 2nd to get a shot at the "FQB". Who knows who will be available at 2, Cleveland has been pretty tight lipped about which QB they like.

EDIT: Colts and Texans play week 17.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Denver won so I think on head to head they are after us unless another team has 5 wins and one of the other tiebreakers happen. Like you said we'll move up a pick or two. We aren't winning so someone else might win and we might move up. We will probably be top 10. Rosen and Darnold won't be there if they come out. I think Allen and Mayfield will. Allen has the size etc. Probably needs to learn before starting. Mayfield is shorter but probably can start right away. I hope we can get one but knowing our luck we won't and we won't sign any free agents and Hackenburg will be our starter.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets will be in position to upgrade the QB position. Don't count out any of the QBs. Hopefully we get either Rosen, Darnold or Lamar Jackson

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What would be the point of the Jets drafting a potential FQB? There's no one presently in place in Florham Pk. to develop him anyway nor is there any inclination that the organization on whole takes Qb development seriously. The Jets would be better served doing exactly what they've been doing all along. Sign a Vet QB to manage the offense, draft BPA-D and some 2nd or 3rd tier afterthought at QB to keep up the facade to the fanbase. Fill in the rest of the holes with FA cash and I give you the 2019 NY Jets. More mediocre than ever before. Always on the border of respectability but several steps away from being legitmate contenders. Yeah, sign me up for that!

#6 Cman68, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    boozer32, MurrellMartin, K'OB and 4 others like this.
  7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

We'll have Josh McCown back...who needs a future QB?

boozer32 and FlaJet like this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

With guys like Cousins and Bridgewater available why roll the dice with a high draft pick when we can get someone that is a sure thing? Have we learned nothing?

NYJFOREVER and grkmanga31 like this.
  9. STARoSCREAM

I understand the skepticism, but i feel with a top 10 pick, you need to take a shot at a FQB prospect.

Its true that none of these guys are a lock whatsoever, and we also have a problem developing QBs, but id rather overpay for a QB coach with a good track record rather than overpay a Cousins type player. although i wouldn't hat that move either

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Cman68

At least we won't have to develop them. Or pretend to...

TwoHeadedMonster and James Hasty like this.
  11. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

I read somewhere a week ago the Jets would have the 10th pick. Yeah, good luck with the whole fqb thing teams like the Giants and Browns and Denver picking before us. I think they will all go for QBs, they sure need them. I don't know about Tampa and the Bengals.

12. STARoSCREAM

touche

Bridgewater may be worht the risk and drafting a top 10 offensive talent. big-time WR would be huge

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. Cman68

I used to feel like you but, I realized that its not gonna matter who we pick at Qb in the first round. Unless you're talking a day one starter, any young Qb coming to the Jets is taking an awful chance with their career. Getting drafted by the Jets isn't a blessing by any stretch at the Qb position given their history of Qb development. Why use a 1st rd pick on a Qb you can't or won't train when you can use that same pick on a blue chip Guard/Tackle/Center, etc...You can always get a Qb in the later rds anyway and by taking that route, there's no pressure or timetable for them to see the field.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. stinkyB

Ben Roethlisberger, the 3rd QB selected, picked with the eleventh overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.

FJF likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The draft order will surely change within the next two weeks but I am quite concerned about our position and whether we can rely on teams ahead of us to lose out. I'm imputing my beliefs regarding the teams ahead and what they may do or what concerns stem from their position.

Overall, the way I see it is there are a few teams that absolutely will draft QB, while there are a few teams that have young QB's but may want to trade out of the pick in order to get more picks.

Jets trading up from 10 to 6 or even higher would be a very expensive trade to make and will cost at least a first round pick, and 2 2nd round picks and given Macc's approach through his tenure, doesn't seem like much of a gunslinger and seems pretty conservative.

Jets will have to lose out and hope the teams in front of them win meaningless games if they're going to want to draft a QB. The way I see it, Denver is the biggest problem for us because they're going to draft QB. Rosen and Darnold will go top 2, creates a firestorm for who goes after Mayfield IMO

boozer32 likes this.
  16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would be on board with Cousins and then using our first and 2 seconds to address o-line and get some edge rusher/corner help.

But Maccagnan seems ultra-conservative to me and I'm worried that he will look at Cousins price tag and run for the hills (hope I'm wrong though).

FJF likes this.
  17. stinkyB

I can see Denver chasing a vet to plug into that team, it worked for them last time..... Kirk Cousins in orange and blue

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We have a zero percent chance of drafting a franchise QB. This is the Jets. We don't get franchise QBs.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. STARoSCREAM

I totally agree, but even when we drafted Sanchez, i was excited. We moved up and took a shot on a guy.

We had a much better overall team around him, but we took a shot.

Similar to why i wanted Watson this past year. Not that he was a sure thing at all, but when you're picking that high and theres a possible FQB, you gotta take your chances. And in Watsons case, its not like the Texans have a great track record with developing QBs either.

I understand that the Texans had a better overall team than the Jets this year, sans QB, but you have to keep taking shots until it sticks IMO

boozer32 and slimjasi like this.
  20. STARoSCREAM

Also an unfortunate truth.

I explained to my friend, who is a spoiled Packer fan, that our best FQB, Joe Namath is in the HOF and has more INTs than Tds.......that's our best QB ever.

Pretty much sums up this franchise to a T