Cedric Houston - Im Ready

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsTillDeath, Mar 7, 2006.

1. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I am sure he has been discussed before, but since I am not around here as much as some of you guys, we will discuss it again.

I personally think this guy can be a starter in this league. With all this talk around here about the RB position, I do not see his name brought up enough. Yes, I think L. White is going to be great, and if the Jets drafted him, I would prolly run out and get the Jersey, but I also feel we have more holes to fill, and that Houston behind a solid line can be a 1200 yard back. He runs hard with a mean streak. He has speed to the outside and cuts up the field very nicely.

In the final game last season I remember watching him run for the sidelines , figuring he would take it for 2-3 yards and get outta bounds, to me it looked as though there was no lanes. He broke up the field for four more yards and then leaped for the sidelines, a heady play that is forgotton way to much in the NFL today, i was impressed.

So i guess what I am asking you guys is this. (1) Would you be content with Houston behind a rebuilt line, by that I mean drafting OT in round one, and G/C in round two. I mean check out Pitt. and Ben R., I mean Ben is good, but he had all day to throw and was so comfortable back there, this was why Chad was so successfull in '02 also, we had one of the best lines in the NFL, and Curtis shined. (2) OR, do you guys have your heart set on drafting a new back in round one or two and getting rid of Blaylock or Houston and waiting for Martin to retire. Right now, we have three backs Ced, Curtis, Blaylock, I am not opposed to seeing it turn into Ced and Blaylock in the future, I truly think they can get it done and we can fill more NEEDS in the draft. Something tells me we will not Draft a RB this year, not with Martin coming back, but ya never know. What are all of your thoughts?

2. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I'm still trying to figure out if Houston said "I'm ready", which is what your thread title implies.

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I would be happy with a Houston/Blaylock/Martin rotation this year. Don't forget that Askew is halfway decent coming out of the backfield as well, granted in the FB role. We simply have too many needs which are greater than that of RB. Granted, a guy like White or Williams would immediately upgrade the offense, but it would be at the expense of other positions which are more of a pressing need, like O Line DT and QB.

I'd be happy to sit tight this year, see how things go- maybe pick up a project like Houston was last year, sign him to the PS and see what he's got. But nothing in the first day of the draft, please!

4. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

I'm with you on rebuilding the O line this draft. A D'Brick and a Mangold or Gilles would not upset me. I also agree that running back does not have to be focused on during this draft. We can platoon Martin and Houston and I would be happy with that. I just want the Jets to come out with some quality offensive linemen and start building chemistry together as they pave the way for our backs and most importantly give our quarterback time to throw, and keep him healthy.

5. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I liked what I saw from Houston. Explosiveness. If we get a plan for a solid O-Line in free agency/draft, then there is no reason to draft Williams, White or Maroney. Houston has the potential to become a 1,000 yard back if given the opportunity. I am for a Houston/Martin platoon in the halfback position for this year. Similar to what Denver did with Bell/Anderson and what Pittsburgh did with Bettis/Parker. I think one more year splitting time with Martin should set him up to be the starter in 2007.

6. Electric Cedric 34

Electric Cedric 34 New Member

LMAO, I was thinking the same thing....

7. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

If he said, "I'm Ready," it would be in Quotes, where did you go to school?

8. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Yea I agree, I feel that O-Line chemistry is vital to success and if you can get a young line together, and keep them together, we could be great offensively for years, its all about a nucleus.

9. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I like Houston

and I want him to be our starter next season.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

People are forgetting Blaylock. We didn't get a chance to take an honest look at him last because he was riding the injury carousel. He could have been the starter out in KC, if not for these two guys named Holmes and Johnson.

From what I have seen of Houston, he isn't an every down back. However, as a combination with Blaylock, and for the short-term, Martin, he could be very effective. Does anyone know what kind of hands he has? Can he make catches out of the backfield? He has good speed, so if he could be involved in some of those famous backfield passes we are known for, he may prove to be an interesting option.

11. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Yea good question on his catches outta the backfield, i am curious myself. He did make some "West Coast" style snags last year, but not much out in the flat with room to make something happen. Maybe someone knows something from his college days.

12. IslandJET

IslandJET Member

Truer words were never spoken.

13. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

ready to ride the bench after we draft D'Angelo

14. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I believe that this is the year that we will fix the o-line. Through free agency and the draft, we can get younger and better. If we get another 1st rounder we need to spend at least one 1st rounder on the o-line. Certainly Mangold is an intriguing option, but I'm not a huge fan of spending a first rounder on a center. I really like Winston Justice, and with the 9th pick, we can have a potentially dominant right tackle.

15. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I also like Justice, but I think he will be there later in the first round, of course if we have #4 and #9, that would not be an option, but he is a reach at #9. What # do you think Mangold would go? I do not know much about him, but I hear from everyone he is a beast and reads blitzes rather well.

16. Bawden

Bawden New Member

While I agree our o-line needs help I think we should draft a back like White or Williams heres why. We don't know if Martin will be back next year. If we draft a rb such as the aforementioned Martin can take them under his wing, lighten the load for their first year and they can really develop. Albeit Houston was good with what he was working with but I dont know If I can ever see him making defenses plan for him. With Chad coming back I think it would hurt us too much letting the opposing defense know we have a QB who has a weak arm and had surgery twice and a running back who has no reputation and has more to prove then a RB who has potential and no one knows in the NFL.

#16 Bawden, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm on board with Houston, I don't think drafting an RB is an absolute top priority. We have to remeber that Mangini has the Parcells/Bellichek mentality. When the Pats won their first 2 SB's they were led by Antione Smith and Kevin Faulk. Not exactly household names. Martin himself was a 3rd round pick. I won't anticipate Mangini going out and taking a high profile back with his first draft. If there is anything Mangini learned from those guys it's that a running back is the last piece you add. Just think Corey Dillon and Patriots.

A mid round pick is what I am anticpiating, somebdy like Dontrelle Moore or Maurice Hicks.

18. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Good Post. My only beef is that even with a first round RB, he will not demand the respect of the opposing defense his fist year or two in the NFL. Of course I could be wrong here i.e. Cadillac, I guess my hope is that Ced would make a reputation for himself, and Mangini would give him the ball and feed the reputation even further. Either way, Chad is going to be strained, assuming he is our starter.

19. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Your absolutly right, did not even think of his experience with SB Rings and No stud RB. Who did Hicks play for? What to check out his stats and stuff, see what I can find, do not know anything about him?

20. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I'm one of the few that says we dont need to go out and sign a RB this offseason. Houston and Martin can split carries. Soon enough Houston will be our featured back if we give him a shot.