CBS NFL Mock 2019 Allen to Jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Dec 18, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Anyone watch Kentucky games and can provide an eye test scouting report?

This guy has skyrocketed up to the top of draft mocks now. Sounds like he's another hybrid guy who can drop in coverage or rush the passer.

Thoughts?

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts:

18. Philadelphia Eagles
    Yodny Cajuste, OT, West Virginia. After dominating for much of last season, the Eagles' offensive line could use an upgrade. The unit ranks 16th in run blocking and 23th in pass protection. Jason Peters is 36 years old and his contract is set to expire after the 2019 season.

Half the board will keel over if we draft another "hybrid" on Defense. Trade back and pick up guys like this and WRs to build around Darnold

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And why is Philadelphia trading up?

Leicester Jet likes this.
  4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Trade down. We need so much more if thats the case. I assume we are grabbing a pass rusher in free agency and not the draft anyway.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

A beast - would take Josh Allen in a minute. . Versatile, do-it-all skill set with a huge motor. . Some others do certain things well (Ferrell, Polite). . Allen's the most complete package of the bunch (after Bosa).

Jets - Bills, 2019:

"Josh Allen breaks the pocket...........'splat!'...........and is crushed by Josh Allen!" ......

...BillsPhysco: . . confused ....

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What do you mean by a "hybrid" guy? If you mean is he a collegiate 4-3 DE who will have to learn to play with his hand in the dirt? If so, then the answer is No. He has been playing as an OLB in a 3-4 D alignment. Just because a guy excels in playing the run, dropping into coverage and rushing the passer, doesn't mean that he is a "hybrid" guy.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He plays linebacker at Kentucky. He's asked to both rush the passer and sometimes drop into coverage as any linebacker is and while he's ok in pass coverage, he excelles at rushing the QB with a great blend of speed and burst to be a constant threat off the edge. Going back for his senior year really helped him as he put on another 15 pounds of muscle to help his run defense and improve his already tenacious pass rush. His tape against Mississippi State this year is fantastic.

NoodleArm and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

To the latter point, agree, but it sounds like he would be utilized as such.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I saw him play a couple of times. That's why I think he isn't far behind Bosa.

10. I like what i see from Allen,though he still has some work to do to put his whole game together.He is unbelieveable dropping in coverage;Very disruptive.He sets the edge pretty well,is decent rushing standing up & is lethal at bending the edge w his hand in the dirt. He leaves some plays on the field as i wouldnt call him a great “finisher” but very disruptive.Also think hes more of a finnesse player.

11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time getting excited at any of the players the Jets might be picking at 3-5th. Allen is exciting in a sense but the thought of not picking something to help Sam on offense is tough to swallow at this point. This on top of the fact that the Jets have just been pouring draft capital down the rabbit hole on defensive linemen the last several seasons and have a fairly poor defensive line to show for it. I guess that further tempers my enthusiasm about taking a defensive guy with such a high pick.

Trading back would be great but to do that you've got to be in position to give some other team a guy they desperately want and/or need. Who's going to be particularly desperate for any of these top 6ish guys this draft?
    Quenton Nelson picked the wrong year to get drafted.

12. Everybody needs an edge,many need a corner,some could use a nose & thats before QB.All of these are impact positioons depending on scheme & situation. Have to think there will be teams looking to move up.

13. dmatt36

dmatt36 Active Member

A solid edge rusher does wonders for our defense...can't continue to trot out olb by committee and expect to get any pressure. QBs carve up our defense because QBs literally sit in the pocket for days and pick out whoever they want. Any infusion of talent anywhere on this team is a plus.

K'OB likes this.
  14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reference to the Mississippi State tape. Allen looks like a pretty complete player, probably a three-down kind as opposed to just an Edge rusher.

Harpua likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I believe he is a complete player and would be the best linebacker we have had in a very long time. Sadly, with both the Raiders and Cards also needing edge rushers I could see him going before we pick. He's not Bosa, but he's looked really good on tape and should crush the combine.

16. Pepsiguy5

I'm thinking that 3 or 4 times a game Jonah Williams playing one of the tackle positions would give Darnold that extra time he needs to make a throw and/or prevent him from getting smoked. In my mind those can be game changing instances. I was appalled watching the Patriot game Sunday at how many times Darnold would get the ball and be immediately facing an onslaught of defenders. In my mind that's gotta stop and its gotta stop now. With blue chip talent.

Maybe my thinking is flawed but as great as Josh Allen looks I'm not sure he's going to do more damage than a top shelf OL guy is going to prevent. And if the scale is somewhat even then what tips it towards the offensive line in my mind is the fact that the OL guy is going to do more to keep our most important player heading in the right direction. If the Jets are ever going to win a Super Bowl its Darnold that's going to be the force behind it so give the kid every single scrap of help possible.

17. Pepsiguy5

That said though... if the pick is a defender I'd be very hopeful its either Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams over Greedy.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It also comes down to what they do in free agency. If they're able to sign a Lawrence or Clowney, then Edge becomes less of a priority come draft time.

jilozzo likes this.
  19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ahh some common sense.....

I tell u IF they happen to sign Lawrence AND draft allen at 3...the defense instantly becomes credible and offenses have to take note....it wont matter what dimwit is picked as HC.

BrowningNagle likes this.